United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 16m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Normal. Smart Start cereal, touch of coffee. Ate a GU about 25 min before I was scheduled to go out for the sugar hit during the race.
Event warmup:

Put bike on trainer and rode about 15 min of easy spinning until I got my sweat on. Then pulled bike from trainer and rode about 2 miles on the road, about 1/2 mile pretty intense.
Bike
  • 16m 9s
  • 7 miles
  • 26.01 mile/hr
Comments:

This was such an intense race. Was not totally sure how to pace a 7 mile TT. Just long enough that I felt I needed to conserve a little, but short enough that I did not want to leave anything on the table.

First 3 miles were insane! Many places I was over 27MPH, average speed was showing about 26.3 after 3 miles. Saw the guy in front of me about 2.5 miles in, but he was pretty far up (30 second intervals). Goal was to catch him before the end. Miles 3-5 were a little slower as my HR was through the roof and I was afraid I would blow up, was slowly reeling the guy in. At mile 5 I thought to myself... 4-5 mins left, go for it!!! So I laid it on. Avg speed had dropped to 25.6, so I stood on it. Found that I can ride faster with lower cadence and more power, so my high gear riding is helping. Was able to get back up in the mid 26's as the rabbit was getting closer. Around mile 6 the rabbit was only 100 yards in front and he was passing his rabbit. By 6.3 I passed BOTH rabbits and jammed past the finish line. Was probably going the fastest in the race at the line >28MPH.

After I got home I felt more tired than I normally do after my Saturday 65 Mile ride. I felt like I got hit by a truck. Sunday my legs were still very sore. Amazes me how the body works and how riding at such an intense pace can destroy the body. Good news is that I must not have left much if anything on the table, because I was spent!

After talking to some people I realized I SHOULD have been signed up for Cat5. That said, I WON!!! 1st out of 23 people. Beat second place by 4 seconds.

What would you do differently?:

More high gear (low cadence) riding. I find I ride faster, but the leg burn is just debilitating. Felt like somebody was sticking hot irons through my quads (yet strangely felt pretty neat). I think I can ride in the 27 MPH range if I continue to build leg strength. Would also help if I was not 10 pounds too fat.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode about 1.5 miles straight just trying to re-gain my breathe. 20 mins after the race my HR was still 120+. HR did not stabilize until almost 45 mins after race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a touch fat.

Event comments:

The course was perfect for a TT.

The start order was suppossed to be posted at 9pm Friday, but did not go up until midnight... then it was different on race day which peaved some people off. The race started late because it was still dark at 7:30, which is fine. There was alot of confusion at the starting line with numbers being screwed up.

I am most disappointed with standings. My race was over by 8:30. I waited there until almost 10:30 and the only standings they had posted was Masters 45+ and Juniors. Now, 2 days after the race there are still no official standings or numbers online. It annoys me to not have this information. My computer tells me my time, but I still like to see my "OFFICIAL" time, plus I would like to know how this Triathlete compares to all these cyclists.

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Biking
00:16:09 | 07 miles | 26.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR AVERAGE was 181!! Max HR - 185!!! Very, very, very, very intense pace. Still have to upload Garmin data to see HR Max.
Wind: None
Course: FLatwoods loop. A little curvy, but only 1 real turn. No traffic or obsticles, which was nice.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right