General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Shores "Big Weekend" triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-20 1:10 AM

New user

Subject: Ocean Shores "Big Weekend" triathlon

Hello everyone,

Has anyone been in this event before? My brother and I are planning on doing this one this summer. Any advice? This will be the first tri for both of us.

2009-03-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2029384

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ocean Shores "Big Weekend" triathlon

I did the Half Ironman course last year and my brother did the Olympic distance.  According to my brother he was mis-directed on the bike course twice and was lucky to find his way back.  Half of the olympic filed took a wrong turn and was disqualified. 

My impressions were that there was not enough support on the bike course or the run course.  There was one aid station on the bike course and three on the run.  At one point in the run I thought I was lost because there was inadequate road directions. 

I would recommend spending a little more and doing the Lake Stevens 70.3.  I did that last year and it was a lot better.  The atmosphere was better overall as was everything else in that race. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask. 

2009-03-24 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
It looks like the poster above (Mdeness) had a decent race as he was the mens over all winner. Good job.

Edited by Snailfish 2009-03-24 1:30 PM
2009-03-25 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I did the Olympic distance a couple years ago. Flat course... The swim is in a lake, so no dealing with waves and salt water (and sand in the wetsuit). The roads weren't in the best condition, and when I drove the course the night before I almost bailed. But it wasn't as bad riding as it was driving. Race morning for me was I think the ONLY time I've ever been there when it wasn't blowing at near gale force... The 5K we did that afternoon (on the beach) was just as windy as any other day I've been to OS.

The half-iron course takes in a lot more of the surrounding area, and has hills (I'm not too familiar with that surrounding area, so I don't know how bad the hills are, just that it's more undulating than the Oly course).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Shores "Big Weekend" triathlon Rss Feed