General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding Open Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-12 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Finding Open Water
I live in Daytona Beach Florida where as you guessed it we have the Atlantic Ocean. All the open water you could possible need! But as you can imagine swimming in the Ocean with rip currents and choppy conditions is incredibly difficult and I've deduced not suited for general training. I should metion though that my first Tri in May will include a .25 mile ocean swim. The bulk of my swimming to this point has been in a Y pool with an ocean swim here and there. My question is, am I supposed to go jumping in the first pond I see that doesnt have a "No Swimming" sign or is there a place I can find information on places it is recommended to practice for open water lakes and such?

2004-03-12 9:17 PM
in reply to: #12135

New user

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Finding Open Water
I bet if you contacted a local tri club they could tell you where there are good, local places to swim. They might even have an open water swim day once a month so you could do it with people and have it be supervised.

check out http://www.active.com and search for tri clubs
2004-03-12 9:50 PM

, Alabama

I live south of you and have been advised that if you absolutely, positively have nobody to go in the ocean with, then stay in areas monitored by lifeguards, make sure the lifeguard knows what you are doing ahead of time so you can be monitored, and swim just from one lifeguard stand to another (they's usually about 100 meters apart down here) and do repeats that way.  I've only done it once or twice, but they are actually appreciative when someone advises them ahead of time so they know to look out for you.

Sharon

2004-03-14 8:19 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I agree on checking with your local tri clubs in the area as many times tri clubs will schedule an open water swims for training.
2004-03-15 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Daytono Beach! With Spring Break being here, that could make for some very scenic swimming. :-) Meanwhile maybe this link can yield you some answers:

http://www.canuckrunner.com/flclubs.php

2004-03-15 9:22 AM

Regular
White House

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finding Open Water Rss Feed