Campus Rec Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana, coffee, and Granola bar. At check in, found out this was a reverse Triathlon. This race is basically run by student volunteers and they did a great job for a small venue. Reversing the Triathlon makes the timing easier.
Event warmup:

Spun around parking lot and jogged slowly.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 394 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was definitly tired after the bike, but was glad to get in the pool. I honestly felt like I swam faster than this. Gave up on bilateral breathing after first length and went to every stroke. Felt good through swim with nice steady pace.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get to where I can take one breath and puch off rather than a couple of breaths on the turn. Could saev a lot of time if I can get comfortable with my kick turn under the ropes and keep moving.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

The above was actually my T2 after coming off the bike. I did good here except I tried to pull my shirt off which would not come when I realized my race belt was still on. Once I was headed to the pool, I realized I was not exactly sure which building it was on. Asked spectators (small venue) and they directed me to the correct doors. I was headed to the gymnasium.

Figure out where the pool is. My friend laughed and said he had the same problem.
Bike
  • 50m
  • 15 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like a flew to the turnaround and then hit the headwind straight on. Overall, I felt good on the bike. I passed 10+ people on my old road bike including some nice tri bikes.

Need to get a tri bike. Want to average in the 20's. Need to learn to love uphills and attack them. It was nice passing people and not getting passed by anyone on the bike
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Again this was actually T1. This went well. It is easy going from the run to the bike. Transition area was very small which helped time.

Still should have been quicker.
Run
  • 27m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

tried to keep up with the fast runners and only lasted a 1/3 mile before my breathing got out of control and had to slow down. My goal was to break 27 minutes. I will do it next time as I have committed to speed up my running. I never did stop which was positive. I do feel it is easier for me to run on the third rather then at the start because it takes my lungs a good 1.5 to start working.

Run faster. get into the 7's.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a great sports massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning.

Event comments:

I improved over my first Tri. This one was a little longer and beat my first time though the weather was much better. I will get faster as I have a lot of room for improvement. I definitly am hooked and look forward to training everyday to get faster at each event all the while getting my fata** back in shape again before I hit the big 30.

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 394 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25m indoor pool. Zig zag in each lane swim. Swim came last so there was no real "finish line", just a ladder.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:00 | 15 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back down HWY. The road was nice. Coming out of transition there was a great downhill which was nice. hit the same uphill into the transition. Only time on the course I fell below 10mph. It was dang near straight up for this flatlander.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:43 | 03.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Through campus. This was interesting as the Race Director gave us instructions on the run right before the start of the race giving us landmarks to look for and dorms to go around??? My friend and I had never even been on the campus so we figured we would just follow the pack.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?