General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If your knees sound like Rice Crispies... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-25 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: If your knees sound like Rice Crispies...

...is that necessarily a bad thing???  I have never had knee problems, been running a long time.  But I noticed when I bend at the knees to squat, they sound hideous.  LOTS of crunching and crackling going on.  But no pain. 

Is this something to be at all concerned about?  Just wondering.

2009-03-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2039091

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: If your knees sound like Rice Crispies...

I've got that going on - it's becomming my party trick to tell people to touch my knee and then I bend it.  Sounds like a sack full of glass.  Mine don't hurt either - although sometimes get a bit sore after long stuff (towards the end of 80 mils on my bike they were sore on Sunday).

I'm not concerned but I'm aware of it.

2009-03-25 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I have the crunching/crackling in my left knee only. If I place my hand on my knee and extend my leg out in front...oh boy, it feels (and sounds) like I have gravel in my knee...pretty gross. Most times I have very little or no pain, but if I do lots of jumping up and down (such as plyometric stuff)...that left knee gets really achy and sore and I will feel some pain under the kneecap for a few days.
2009-03-25 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
My knees sound disgusting, and if you have your hand over my kneecap while i bend my knee, you can feel the grinding. i was told by my PT that as long as there is no pain, it's fine. Just gross.

2009-03-25 1:10 PM

User image

i've got the same thing going on in both knees when i am coming up from squatting down; it's also not necessarily painful.  i've always wondered why this happened, but never looked into it since it didn't hurt
2009-03-25 1:58 PM

User image

Northern Virginia

In the clinical setting, it is common to feel and hear the crunching under the kneecap.  This crunching, known as crepitus, is due to increased fluid under the kneecap and/or changes in the cartilage below the kneecap.  The initial crunching isn't related to pain because the tissue is not innervated by the nerves.  If no nerves are present, pain can not be felt.  All of us age and when you engage in endurance events, it is most likely that this crunching will develop.  The problem is when this crunching is progressive.  As the cartilage breaks down, pain can develop because the deeper tissue is innervated by the nerves.  As the tissue further breaks down, more damage can occur.  Some reports suggest that the lateral retinaculum (tissue on the outside of the kneecap) becomes irritated and painful.  Diagnoses, such as patellofemoral stress syndrome and chrondromalacia patella, have been used to label this crunching when it is painful.

In summary, you should not worry about the crunching but consider it your check engine light.  Sometimes if I see the check engine light of my car turn on, I continue to drive without assessing the problem.  As I continue to drive throughout the week and the month, I begin to notice that the car is not running well.  Eventually, it stops running and I'm sitting in the mechanic's garage.  My point is to assess whether there is a cause to the crunching before it can become a problem.  Many things, such as hip weakness, VMO weakness, increased Q angle and foot dysfunctions, have been suggested to cause the problem.

I wrote an article in a local magazine of Northern VA describing this issue.  Feel free to check out the following link:

http://90revolutions.com/injuryprevention/injurypublications.html

Check out the article, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome:  What You Kneed To Know, under the magazine section.  I hope this clarifies. 

2009-03-25 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area

I'm not a medical person.

Personal experience has proven, if I'm stretching, keeping up with my yoga especially... My knees, and joints in general do not crackle as much or at all.

2009-03-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2039617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
90RevolutionsPT - 2009-03-25 2:58 PM

In the clinical setting, it is common to feel and hear the crunching under the kneecap. This crunching, known as crepitus, is due to increased fluid under the kneecap and/or changes in the cartilage below the kneecap. The initial crunching isn't related to pain because the tissue is not innervated by the nerves. If no nerves are present, pain can not be felt. All of us age and when you engage in endurance events, it is most likely that this crunching will develop. The problem is when this crunching is progressive. As the cartilage breaks down, pain can develop because the deeper tissue is innervated by the nerves. As the tissue further breaks down, more damage can occur. Some reports suggest that the lateral retinaculum (tissue on the outside of the kneecap) becomes irritated and painful. Diagnoses, such as patellofemoral stress syndrome and chrondromalacia patella, have been used to label this crunching when it is painful.

In summary, you should not worry about the crunching but consider it your check engine light. Sometimes if I see the check engine light of my car turn on, I continue to drive without assessing the problem. As I continue to drive throughout the week and the month, I begin to notice that the car is not running well. Eventually, it stops running and I'm sitting in the mechanic's garage. My point is to assess whether there is a cause to the crunching before it can become a problem. Many things, such as hip weakness, VMO weakness, increased Q angle and foot dysfunctions, have been suggested to cause the problem.

I wrote an article in a local magazine of Northern VA describing this issue. Feel free to check out the following link:

http://90revolutions.com/injuryprevention/injurypublications.html

Check out the article, Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: What You Kneed To Know, under the magazine section. I hope this clarifies.

Good stuff, thanks!  I knew it was crepitus, I just wasn't sure if it was a "bad" thing at this point.  I kinda figure that the break down process is going to be present for endurance athletes (particularly running).  I have been doing exercises to help with some of the muscle imbalances I know I have, so hopefully that helps!  Thanks again!

2013-10-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: 90RevolutionsPT

User image

Thanks,

Now I have a name for it! Are there any general treatments or exercises that are known to help? I'm 42 and just getting started in running... I signed up for my first 5k in December and Sprint Triathlon in April.

Thanks for any info!
2021-04-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: Nichole939

This is exactly happening to me right now. I stop running over past few years and decided to run again in my mid 40's this year 2021. I am thinking to consult on a professional since it's painful already.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If your knees sound like Rice Crispies... Rss Feed