WA Marathon Club
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sef was rowing in the Lord Mayor's cup today, its an amateur novice corporate rowing event. This race start is about 500m from where he was going to be rowing, and the run is a 10k loop around the river. So this race was a bit of a no brainer for me - I always do my long run on a Sunday so I entered the event about 3 days ago, the plan was to race 10k and then run around the river a second time to turn it into a training run, whilst still being able to hang out with Sef!
Event warmup:

We woke up at 5am because Sef needed to register at 6am. We parked at his building in the city (yay free parking!) and wandered down. My race didn't start until 8am and actually neither did Sef's, so we hung around a bit, had a coffee, chatted with his work mates. At about 7.45am I jogged over to the start line, collected my race number and I was ready!
Run
  • 1h 03m 5s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 19s  min/km
Comments:

The official results aren't up yet but this is what I saw when I ran through the finishing chute. I had a GREAT race.

I started off in group D, which is the lowest group, they reckon anyone that takes more than 55 mins to run 10k belongs in this group LOL!!! Anyway the gun went off and there was a little bit of walking before I got to the start because I was at the back. There were lots of people around me and off we went. So I am running along, and I notice that theres lots of people around me, and I keep running, and there are still lots of people around me, and I am keeping up, even passing people. WOW! This has never happened before! I am normally in no-mans land behind everyone else!
It was awesome. I just kept running and pushing a hard but manageable pace. The urge to stop and walk was pretty strong at times especially early on. But then we passed the 5k mark and I thought wow, 50% done already and it didn't even take that long. It got a touch easier after that. I think with all the long runs I've been doing, 10k is now quite a manageable distance. It used to be impossible!

I stopped to walk briefly at two aid stations and then just kept on going. I glanced at my watch at every km marker and noticed I was doing just over 6min/k pace. I was secretly hoping to do just under but it looks like I'm not at that stage yet!

Once I got to the 9k marker I glanced at my watch and I realised I had a chance to finish this race in less than 1:03. Even though I was pretty tired by this stage I pushed really hard over that last km. I came in just over 1:03 which is still a PB time for me. Its almost 7 mins faster than last year! WOO HOO!
What would you do differently?:

Just keep training and keep improving. I did good today :)
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't drink quite enough on the run because I was pushing myself, so when I finished I needed about 4 cups of water to satisfy my thirst! Then I had a long stretch and I think I even lay on the grass a little bit! Then I wandered back to the rowing club to hang out with Sef. After about an hour of sitting around I made myself get up and run the bridges again as I had planned. Then I hung out at the rowing shed for much of the day. The events were running late so we didn't get home until 3pm. However Sef did REALLY well for a previous non-rower, his team of four had only been training together for 4 weeks yet they won their first heat which automatically put them in the semi final, they then won their semi final and came third in the final!!! We both had a great day enjoying our gorgeous city and what it has to offer :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics??? LOL.

My HRM says I averaged 90% MHR over this race and my max was 97%. Wow. I guess that shows I pushed pretty hard :)

Event comments:

This is a good race. Its an easy flat run and it makes the most of our beautiful city. I've done it almost every year in various ways - I started with the 5K version and now I do the 10k. WAMC is a great organisation. I'm sure I'll be back :)

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:05 | 10 kms | 06m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: One lap around the river crossing three bridges, hence the name.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: Asics Bridges Fun Run

2009-04-05 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2063452

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Asics Bridges Fun Run

Great race & writeup Magda - I've just started being able to run round the bridges and it's a lovely (not so) little loop.

Hope the wind stayed away from you.  Good job al round for you guys with Sef's 3rd place.

Congrats!

Nigel

2009-04-05 9:53 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

awesome race!  you must have felt great passing people!  I hope to have that experience one of these days

2009-04-05 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Great race Magda. How satisfying to see the progress after all your hard work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Asics Bridges Fun Run Rss Feed