General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
Total Time = 1h 35m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My husband and I arrived at the Smithsonian metro stop around 6:50 and fought our way through the crowds to the MASSIVE porto potty lines. After I went to the bathroom, there was barely enough time to jog for 5 minutes, stretch and take a GU. I hightailed it to the start only to find myself squooshed into the green corral, two corrals back from where I was seeded. Had to jump a fence and book it closer to the front.
Run
  • 1h 35m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a PR today -- about 20 seconds off my time -- but I think I could have done better. The weather was gorgeous today, but I didn't expect it to warm up so quickly. I wore shorts and a long-sleeve tech shirt with a thin jacket, and I should have left the jacket behind.

I started in the blue corral this year (last year I was in the orange), and I think the faster corral probably hurt me. I went out too fast with two 9:10 miles, which isn't sustainable for me across ten miles. I got carried away running with the pace of the crowd.

I settled into my own pace (around 9:30/mile) as we passed under the Kennedy Center. Despite being a little warm, I felt pretty good for the rest of the race. The crowds started to become an issue with the water stops. I probably lost 15-20 seconds at each water stop fighting through the bunching to grab a cup. The volunteers were also pouring and passing out water at the same time, so a lot didn't have cups in their hands and you had to stop and wait, basically.

I took a gel at the mile 6 water stop and settled in for the last section of the race, the Hains Point loop. I do this loop probably at least once a week in training, so it was like a comfortable old friend. The cherry blossoms were beautiful! I think they were smart to reverse the course -- I remember it being incredibly crowded in this area last year since the road isn't very wide.

Once I hit mile 8, I picked up my pace to try to make up the time lost in the water stops -- I had been hoping to finish under 1:35. Ended up running directly in the wake of someone with terrible body odor for a mile or so, ew. The race ends with an uphill, so I powered up the hill and really started trucking. I could tell by my watch that I wasn't going to make it in under 1:35, but I was still happy about the PR.
What would you do differently?:

Next year I may consider wearing my fuel belt rather than fight it out at the water stops -- according to my watch I lost over a minute getting water, but it was warm enough that I couldn't go without.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish corral and accepted a flyer from someone -- looked at it and saw it was for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, so doubled back to talk to the guy handing them out (I grew up near Indy). After that, I tried to find the food and wandered for a while...I got a bottle of water and then finally found the food tables and got a muffin. Called my husband so he could find me, and we watched most of the rest of the field finish while stretching and took the metro home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds, I think. I'm doing the GW Parkway Classic on the 26th, so I'm anxious to see if I can go under 1:35 -- it's a hilly course but not as congested.

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:16 | 10 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-05 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run

2009-04-05 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2063867

Subject: RE: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
Nice job out there - yeah, I was kind p*ssed about the water stops not having pre-poured cups after the stop at the 2-mile mark. I thought the same thing - wish I'd brought my 20 oz handheld bottle!! I don't remember it being like that last year.
2009-04-05 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2063867

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run
great job!!!  congratulations on a PR!!!  we were right there with you in the porta pot line.  my husband and i made it out the bathrooms with just enough time to run to the blue corral and squeeze through the barrier.  phew.  we totally lucked out with the weather!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run Rss Feed