United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 59s
Overall Rank = 27/157
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

I ate a bowl of cereal and then headed over to the race a little early since I still needed to register.
Event warmup:

I waited in my car to stay warm until about 15-20 minutes before the race and did a short jog and then hit the bathroom before the start.
Run
  • 1h 07m 59s
  • 7.07 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off fast to get ahead of as many people as possible crossing the field before hitting the forest. Once you're in there it's single track for much of the first couple of miles so it's hard to pass. I probably went out a little too fast. My HR was sky high with all the early climbing. I had to throttle back for a little while to get my HR back down and a small group passed me. I stayed on their heels for as long as I could but they slowly moved away from me on each hill. There was a short period where I couldn't see anyone ahead of me and I kept feeling like I was getting lost. It's much easier following someone. I came to a stop a couple of times because I wasn't sure which way to go. Two girls came cruising by me at around mile 4 and I fell in behind them for pretty much the rest of the race. One of them sort of pulled ahead but I stayed on the other girls heals. I fell on my face once and had to scramble to catch back up. As we cleared the forest I pushed hard for the last 1/4 mile and passed one girl back but couldn't catch the other. They were strong runners.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I've never done a trail race like this so I think I did OK. I got through it without getting hurt which was my main goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Just had some water, a PBJ and a cookie then headed to Starbucks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not running enough hills and trail runs.

Event comments:

This is a low key local race. The course is longer than a 10K but everyone is aware of it. It's billed as a 10k..ish course. I clocked it on my Garmin at 7.07 so it's somewhere around 7 miles. I would recommend it and probably do it again.

Last updated: 2009-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:07:59 | 07.07 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 27/157
Performance: Good
Course: This is a challenging course. There is a lot of climbing early and the course is pretty technical. Expect a lot of rocks, a few small streams and several areas that you need to climb up a rock face. There is only a couple of spots where you can open it up and run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes