Littleton, Colorado
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 53s
Overall Rank = 737/1138
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 57/103
Pre-race routine:

Up early since I wasn't sure how the roads were going to be - Denver was supposed to get 5-8" and I figured Monument Hill would be pretty bad. I eat oatmeal, drink some coffee, get my stuff together and head out the door.

Roads weren't too bad, mainly hard pack, I was able to maintain 50-60 MPH so I made it there in okay time. Found the parking lot and headed in to get my number.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit but mainly just to stay warmed up, it was COLD outside. Ended up needing to take off layers right before we started, luckily my car was close. Once the sun came out the temps went up quickly.
Run
  • 2h 08m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I've had some trouble with my right knee, hip, and ankle for quite a while now. When I signed up for the race I was running low mileage and the knee seemed to be okay. As soon as I ramped up the mileage the right leg started to give me trouble. I was bummed because I knew a PR would not be possible but I didn't want to not run just for that reason. So I kept training through the pain and decided that this race was just for fun. My goal was to finish the race (hoping for 2:10 but wasn't sure if that was attainable) as pain-free as possible.

Race recap:
Usually I would have brought my own nutrition and hydration but at the very last minute I tossed my jacket into my car (good decision) but the jacket held my nutrition and hydration and I decided to rely on the aid stations (bad decision). I sweat a lot. I know this about myself and I thought a few ounces every 2 miles at each aid station would be sufficient for me - um NO!! So the leg cramp at the end most likely could have been prevented if I had worn my race belt. Oh well.

I started out super slowly, there were so many people to try to pass, but I think it was a good warm up. Mile 1-4 I felt pretty good, I was shocked that I was able to maintain <10 min mile pace. By mile 5 my knee started to hurt a little, mile 8 I grabbed a gel, ate half, and sucked down some water. I was still able to maintain <10 min/mile pace - I realized at that time that I might be able to squeak in before 2:10 which I was psyched about. By mile 10 the knee pain had spread up to my hip and down to my ankle (no surprise there). By mile 11 both my calves started to feel like they was about to seize up on me, if that happened I would be force to walk. It would be a long slow walk to the finish. I focused on running relaxed which seemed to work. I sprinted at the end and as I was walking down the chute it started to cramp. I knew if the race had been any longer that it would have happened inevitably. I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't take in enough water/gatorade/fuel as I normally do during my long runs.

Overall I was really happy about this run. During my long runs I usually am about 11 min/mile so I was really happy with my <10 min/mile pace despite the injury!
What would you do differently?:

Wear my race belt, use that to supplement the few ounces I was able to suck down every 2 miles. Figure out what is wrong with my right leg and be injury free when I start the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, looking for Dee, standing in the lunch line, eating lunch, drinking a beer. Luckily I had used baggage check and checked my fleece - I needed it! Even though it was sunny it was COLD!! I got my light rail ticket and headed back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury, nutrition

Event comments:

I really liked this race - loved the flat/downhill course. Way easier than the Baltimore half marathon! If I can fix my injury I might try it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 0/1138
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 10:25, I seeded myself too far back, it was hard to get around everyone without being super rude, Mile 2 - 9:41, Mile 3 - 9:33 (at this point I was SHOCKED that I had been able to maintain a mile that was less than 10 - woo hoo! I was a little scared that I wouldn't be able to maintain it though.), Mile 4 - 9:35, Mile 5 - 9:30 (my knee started hurting around this point, I kept telling myself just get to the next mile!!), Mile 6 - 10:06, Mile 7 - 9:52, Mile 8 - 9:56, Mile 9 - 9:49, Mile 10 - 9:45, Mile 11 - 9:45, Mile 12 - 9:37, Mile 13 - 10:07, Mile 13.1 - :57
Course: Gradual downhill with a few little uphills, the course followed a paved trail that ran along the Platte River so there were a bunch of down and ups when going under overpasses, there was a bridge Mile 12 that had a good uphill but really that was the only good uphill. There were some icy spots in places but luckily the sun had come out and melted most of the snow so the course was just wet when I ran through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes