Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 1h 10m 2s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m  min/km
Comments:

I wore my new running shorts and tank, both of which chaffed me. :(

I wanted to stop the whole way. It took all my mental powers to keep running. I couldn't play games or distract myself much. Instead, I just basically kept my eyes on my watch. At the first aid station, about a mile in, I didn't take any water. At the 5k turn around, I checked my watch and saw that I was on pace for my goal of 1:10, so I felt a bit relieved about that. Until then I had been keeping my pace slow to warm up a bit.

I ran my own race and didn't really pay much attention to the people around me. I chatted with several women, but I had no emotional investment in whether I passed them or they passed me. I saw the man with the triple stroller, and we passed each other back and forth on the hills.

My strategy was simple: push on the up-hills, recover on the down-hills, while trying to maintain an even pace. Interesting how bike training played a role in this. I found myself pushing "over the tops" of all the hills, which gave me more power on the down-hills for less effort.

All-in-all, I'm happy with my finish time. I beat my last-year's time by over 2 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Train more prior to the race. I had to take basically two weeks off before the race to rest my shin splits.
Post race
Warm down:

Went directly to port-o-let to let go of some extra fluid. :) Walked around a bit to catch my breath, got my t-shirt and wine glass, and a cup of water. Walked the mile or so back to the Jeep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, or lack thereof.

Event comments:

I like the course and the free wine glass. Plus the fact that it benefits a school makes it a winner no matter how "low budget" it may be.

Last updated: 2005-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:02 | 10 kms | 07m  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Somewhat hilly, with gentle rollers, on a scenic out and back course through vineyards.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes