Headfirst Performance
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 16s
Overall Rank = 66/103
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30 (after not much sleep). Loaded up the car and made a bowl of cheerios to take with me. Hit the road and got to the race site by 7:15. Drank half of my starbucks crappacino for the caffeine and the calories.
Event warmup:

None really to speak of, other than nervous jitters.
Swim
  • 09m 29s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow. The swim just plained sucked. I'm a slow swimmer. I lack confidence in the water. And I have serious problems keeping the water out of my nose when my head goes under water. Combine those factors with the pool swim, where I can't seem to keep deal well with the narrowness of the lanes and you get some bad results. Like . . . I totally panicked! I had to flip over to a backstroke in the first 100 just to catch my breath!

Ended up getting slightly better the rest of the swim, and I'm determined not to let my fear and swimming inadequacy get the better of me. My next pool swim start WILL be much better.
What would you do differently?:

Practice practice practice. And will definitely be practicing the under water under rope technique before the next version of this race in a few weeks. Maybe I'll prefer OWS???
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Took my time, more to get my breather under control than anything, and to get my long sleeve shirt on (it was COLD out there) and some gloves, as I was worried my fingers would be numb coming into T2 if not.
Bike
  • 41m 14s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, I know it's a product of my lousy swim, but if I'm proud of anything from this race, it's the fact that I passed 20-30 people out there, and NO ONE passed me!

The course was moderately to significantly rolling, but I thought it was quite fun. A couple of tight corners that I handled with reasonable speed, and otherwise just a nice route out into the Kentucky countryside.

And sure, I was passing some fat tires and the like, but more than once I passed a skinnier guy on a much nicer bike. That's gratification.

Took it easy for the last half mile, and a non-flying dismount. I think the volunteers thought I was really winded, but instead it was back pain that would allow me to straigten all the way up for a few seconds.

Not much. For my first outside ride of the year, I'm very satisfied with the results. I was just one minute away from being in the top 5 in my AG!

I'm still slow, but I seem to be getting incrementally faster with each passing month. It will be fun to see what happens with bike pace once the half-marathon training is over and I can up the number of bike sessions.

Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Pretty quick (for me) here, but had to change shirts (from long sleeve to short sleeve), since the other shirt had my bib on it.
Run
  • 27m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow - they were really cruel. It's an out and back on the trails in the park, but place on the return leg with a little over a mile to go was a killer hill. Actually, from the turnaround to it was all uphill for about .75 miles.

I wasn't expecting a killer 5k time or anything, as I've been training more for volume than for speed, but I'll take the results. Not bad for me.

In fact, it's the fastest 5K time in several years and 7 sec/mile from my PR - okay, that makes me much happier with the run.

Maybe even push it a bit more - it's a race, right? Shouldn't I have been nearly puking at the end?
Post race
Warm down:

Got a banana and some water, and started packing things up. Wanted to hurry home to the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Body weight? But I'm getting better (and slowly thinner) - don't have much to compare to yet, but I equalled or bettered my prior tri results.

Event comments:

It's just a nice semi-local race with a small field.

Look, the swim sucked, but I take that as a challenge, and I'm actually excited to hit the pool tomorrow morning.

Last updated: 2008-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:29 | 400 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 81/103
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Serpentine up and back to get to 400 yds.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:14 | 12 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 52/103
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: A very hilly 12 mile out and back course. Heard from several participants after the race that they considered it quite challenging.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 65/103
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: Max Performance Race #3

2009-04-06 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2065906

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Max Performance Race #3
OH.MY.GOSH. I am so proud of and happy for you. Too cheesy for BT? Oh. Well.  The swim: you are overcoming some serious fears and not losing a thing.  The Bike: I am en.vee-us!  I WISH I could bike like that. So great...and some say, the most important leg of the race.  Finally...awesome run.  I would kill to be in the 27's at a single 5K event!  You are the first of us to be broken in...and if I were any more happy for you there may be a single tear rolling down my cheek. 

Back to business. Aherm...what kind of bike do you have?
2009-04-07 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2067059

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Max Performance Race #3

Grace -thanks, you don't how much it means to me what you said. 

As for the bike - nothing much to speak of, just a Trek 1500 pure road bike (no aerobars or anything else modified) that I got by trading my treadmill last year.

Just trying follow my own slogan (engine first, toys second).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Performance Race #3 Rss Feed