United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 51s
Overall Rank = 646/1344
Age Group = M 18-29
Age Group Rank = 76/112
Pre-race routine:

Late start (1:00pm) so I got to sleep in a little bit. Woke up, had some oatmeal and got organized. Left my house around 10:15 to get to the race site by 11. Had a powerbar and a banana, water on the way down. Met up with a bunch of BTers before the race.
Event warmup:

Didn't do much of a warm-up. Walked to my car and back after checking in/getting my tshirt (about a mile). Took a quick lap around the start/finish town common. Meant to do more but got sidetracked with other stuff. Will probably try to do more next time.
Run
  • 54m 51s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Against the wisdom of KathyG, I took it out too fast. I felt like I was running at a comfortable pace but mile 1 came up and they had a kid yelling times "8:08" is what I heard and almost fell over. That's way faster than I've been training/should have been running. The plan should have been to negative split the race but instead when I heard that solid mile time, i decided to see how long I could keep it up. I was pretty consistent/solid through mile 3.something. We took the left and hit the hills and that hurt me a little. I think I was still running ~8:30s though. The mile 5 marker came and my legs gave out on me. I think from there to the mile 6 marker was ~10 minute mile. Big drop off and that kind of upset me. I think I let the mental stuff creep in and allowed my legs to poop out. When I turned the corner and saw the 6 mile marker though I kicked it into gear and sprinted the last .27 (which also tells me I could have run that last mile faster). I passed a bunch of people in the chute which was cool and heard "nice finishing kick" a couple times. Overall, I was happy...I wanted to go between 8:30 and 9 min pace and ran an 8:50.
What would you do differently?:

Wear less layers - Josh warned me I'd be too hot and he was right. Really glad I took off my pants though, that would have been brutal.

Take it out a little slower and work on negative splitting the race.

Work on blocking out negative mental thoughts - keep pushing all the way home.

Drive the course before hand...I think knowing what that last mile looked like and how much I had left could have helped. It seemed like that last mile took forever but if I knew one or two landmarks I could have tricked myself I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car (~.5 mile). Went to Josh's for a great cookout with some BT folks! Hit the roller last night when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I took it out a little faster than I should have and I let that be an "excuse" at the end for me to slow down a little. Live and learn :)

Last updated: 2009-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:51 | 06.27 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/112
Overall: 0/1344
Performance: Good
Course: HILLS!!! It's a beautiful course of some rolling hills that runs along the coast for approximately half the distance. I would guess once you hit about 3.5 miles, you take a sharp left (away from the water) and a steep uphill faces you. It's a double whammy - you lose the nice scenic views and they slap you with a monster climb. This was the worst part of the course, it seemed like it was hill after hill but the nice Cohasset residents were out in force with their own makeshift water stations on almost all of the uphills which helped :) There's a nice downhill at the end of this stretch that leads to a left hand turn that takes you to the last 1.5 miles or so. The finish shoot was packed with people and they had volunteers helping take off chips and hand out water. Overall, really great race, well run, beautiful course. If I was a little stronger/in better shape and practiced on hills the whole thing would have been enjoyable ;)
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-06 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
Subject: Road Race by the Sea

2009-04-06 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2066124

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Road Race by the Sea
Nice job.  You were definitely the fastest of the bunch.   Knowing the course before hand I think is a big help.  Just think how well you will do next year.  
2009-04-06 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2066124

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Road Race by the Sea
Nice work...FASTTTTTTTT!!!!!!
Listen to KG...very wise
Glad you had fun
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Road Race by the Sea Rss Feed