BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-06-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2069624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Evondo's group - CLOSED
Sorry - it has been a little while. It has gotten HOT here in South Mississippi - I mean HOT. Good for the soul.

I try to be a little smarter now about calling it quits on a workout. My volume is pretty high this year and if I do not feel motivated about a workout it prob will not go very well. But I will always give it an honest try - knowing that once I get going everything will be better. However, I have 86'ed a couple of workouts this year. Usually I just try to logically look at the workout and see what the pros and cons of missing it will be. Using this plan I have only racked a couple of workouts all year - and that was when I was prob pushing the overtraining edge. I'm glad that I backed off in those situations.

2009-07-12 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,
sorry I've been away for a while. Work has been a bit hectic and I've been neglecting myself a bit. Fingers crossed I'm back now and trying to put more emphasis on me time.

How are you all?
2009-07-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2279430

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Kate_r - 2009-07-12 4:48 PM Hi all, sorry I've been away for a while. Work has been a bit hectic and I've been neglecting myself a bit. Fingers crossed I'm back now and trying to put more emphasis on me time. How are you all?

Welcome back Kate.  Other than the fact that it is extremely hot and humid in southwest Florida this time of year things are going great.  It's always tough managing your training with the daily constraints of life.  I got my fingers crossed for you as well.  Good luck.
2009-07-14 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Welcome back! Things have been going well, like you said it's always hard balancing life/training but once you figure out the balance that works for you it's much easier.  Good luck, as always let me know if you have any questions!

Kate_r - 2009-07-12 3:48 PM Hi all, sorry I've been away for a while. Work has been a bit hectic and I've been neglecting myself a bit. Fingers crossed I'm back now and trying to put more emphasis on me time. How are you all?
2009-07-15 12:04 PM

User image

Glad to see that you have gotten back on the horse.
2009-07-16 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on fuel belts.  I have not done any research on what is available.  On my longer runs outside my HR in the last 3rd of the run is drifting.  I think some of this is due to heat and up till now I have not been carrying water on my outdoor runs.  Any suggestions?

2009-07-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2289192

User image

Master
Houston
Sorry I've never used a race belt, thankfully where I run there's water fountains every mile or so! I would definitely agree with you that lack of water/heat is what's causing your HR drift. Do you wear a hat while you run? I've found that hat and no shirt helps a lot in keeping cool(er) in this insane heat.

junthank - 2009-07-16 9:58 AM

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on fuel belts.  I have not done any research on what is available.  On my longer runs outside my HR in the last 3rd of the run is drifting.  I think some of this is due to heat and up till now I have not been carrying water on my outdoor runs.  Any suggestions?

2009-07-17 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2291451

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-07-17 10:36 AM Sorry I've never used a race belt, thankfully where I run there's water fountains every mile or so! I would definitely agree with you that lack of water/heat is what's causing your HR drift. Do you wear a hat while you run? I've found that hat and no shirt helps a lot in keeping cool(er) in this insane heat.

I do wear a hat and a shirt.  I'll spare the public by keeping my shirt on for now....  Maybe after shedding 25 lbs I'll take the shirt off   Until then Sarasota, FL is safe!!!
2009-07-21 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2292533

User image

Master
Houston
I always used to wear a shirt too until recently. I noticed a huge difference. I'm a heavy sweater so lugging around that heavy shirt wasn't fun and it made it so I had no air flow.  If you don't want to go shirtless, wearing a tri-top or some similar tight jersey might help as well since your cooling should improve.

junthank - 2009-07-17 4:05 PM
evondo - 2009-07-17 10:36 AM Sorry I've never used a race belt, thankfully where I run there's water fountains every mile or so! I would definitely agree with you that lack of water/heat is what's causing your HR drift. Do you wear a hat while you run? I've found that hat and no shirt helps a lot in keeping cool(er) in this insane heat.

I do wear a hat and a shirt.  I'll spare the public by keeping my shirt on for now....  Maybe after shedding 25 lbs I'll take the shirt off   Until then Sarasota, FL is safe!!!
2009-07-21 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2298090

User image

Master
Houston
Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Different types of starts
Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

What am I missing? Any suggestions on helping people relax?
2009-07-21 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2298090

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-07-21 8:41 AM I always used to wear a shirt too until recently. I noticed a huge difference. I'm a heavy sweater so lugging around that heavy shirt wasn't fun and it made it so I had no air flow.  If you don't want to go shirtless, wearing a tri-top or some similar tight jersey might help as well since your cooling should improve.

Interestiing.  Never thought about these issues.  I'm a heavy sweater was well.  I'll have to get me some tri tops!!

junthank - 2009-07-17 4:05 PM

2009-07-21 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2298094

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
evondo - 2009-07-21 8:42 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

Wish I could attend your class.  I'm certainly not an OWS (or any kind of swim) expert but I think the issues you mentioned above are most important and things I would want to learn more about.  As a swimming novice there were/are a couple things that hamper me in OW:

1)  Swimming straight.  I think I mentioned this in the thread but I had a tendency to "drifting left".  I seemed to have corrected it now but it really was evident in my OWS.  Easy to detect in the pool - much harder in OW.

2)  Breathing right and left (bi-lateral swimming).  Took me a long time to learn how to breathe on my offside but I have found it useful when the conditions are choppy.

Relaxation - so key to endurance swimming for me.  Took me a really long time to learn how to finally relax in the water.  The way I got there was by learning how to swim bi-laterally.
2009-07-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2298346

User image

Master
Houston
Thanks for the input! I was going to talk about swimming straight in the sighting part, basically the straighter you swim the less you have to sight

I do think the biggest thing for most is the relaxation part, good to know that it was bi-lateral breathing that worked for you...

junthank - 2009-07-21 9:10 AM
evondo - 2009-07-21 8:42 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

Wish I could attend your class.  I'm certainly not an OWS (or any kind of swim) expert but I think the issues you mentioned above are most important and things I would want to learn more about.  As a swimming novice there were/are a couple things that hamper me in OW:

1)  Swimming straight.  I think I mentioned this in the thread but I had a tendency to "drifting left".  I seemed to have corrected it now but it really was evident in my OWS.  Easy to detect in the pool - much harder in OW.

2)  Breathing right and left (bi-lateral swimming).  Took me a long time to learn how to breathe on my offside but I have found it useful when the conditions are choppy.

Relaxation - so key to endurance swimming for me.  Took me a really long time to learn how to finally relax in the water.  The way I got there was by learning how to swim bi-laterally.
2009-07-29 4:41 PM

User image

I see you have already made the topic list and posted in on the other forum but I would suggest doing close group swimming.  I am a novice to tri's but, in my opinion, I can get myself undercontrol and swim my swim but when no one is around.  It would be good for me to practice with others swimming in close quarters of me, etc. some in front where I could possibly draft, some behind me, and some on the sides.  That would greatly help me in learing how to completely handle the breathing, sighting, turning, following, passing in OWS.

Just my two cents Eric.

2009-10-05 9:07 AM

User image

Subject: NO LONGER A TRIATHLON VIRGIN

I just wanted to let y’all know that I am no longer a triathlon virgin. Tongue out I completed the MightyMan Sprint on 10/3/09 in 2:17:45 and I am darn proud of it.

OVERALL:

I am so proud of myself, I did it, I did it, I did it..  Through all the crazy s*&t leading up to and during the race I did it, I finished.  I know I will be so much better in my next race and I can’t wait.

HIGHLIGHTS:

• GOAL:  2:07, ACTUAL:  2:17:45
  • SWIM:  37:27,  Goal:  30 min

Started the swim calm and strong, but after a few minutes in the water, started hyperventilating.  According to one of the surfers that came to aid me after the 2nd stop in which I called out for help, my body was reacting to the mixed ingredients of the cold water, nervousness and perhaps not enough of a warm up.  Swimming in open water in the rain, did not help with the panic attacks either.   I came face to face to what it feels like to panic in water, hyperventilate and lose control.  I definitely now understand how people can drown due to a manic panic episode.  Surprised.I ended up having to stop five to seven times in the water but I kept moving forward.  Thank god for the supportive kayaker and surfer dudes. Not the performance that I envisioned, but I did not quit. Smile
    • Mantra:  I don’t want to quit, I don’t want to quit, I DON'T WANT TO QUIT.
  • BIKE:  55:28,  Goal:  45 min /  T1:  4:26

After an interesting swim, I ran out to grab my bike.  At this point it seemed like my bike was the only one left in the transition area, hell. I was seeing people beginning their run portion. Yuck.  I peeled off my wetsuit threw it into my garbage bag and changed into my socks and sneakers, slipping and sliding in the rain and mud in the process.  After getting my muddy socks and asics on, I proceeded to run out with my bike to the mounting area.  As I rounded the curb right before the mount, the wind and rain amped up to torrential storm conditions.

Anxious to get going, I jam my feet into the toe straps and start pedaling, pumping.  Few minutes in my feet slide out of the pedals, and in my anxiousness, the blinding rain, I had a hard time putting them back in.  OMG I thought I wanted to break down and cry.  Pushing on, I decide to flip the pedals over and ride in flat pedal style, however, one of the straps kept scraping the ground.  I then decide to ride one foot strapped in and the other flat pedal style.  I pumped it as much as I could, not sure how to make myself go faster and not skid to my death.  I make it out and back last mile I get a flat, a f*&%ing flat.  I can’t believe.  What to do?  Change a flat for the last half mile?  Run my bike in?  the joggers are passing me now.  I decide to ride it in slow and sure.
    • Mantra:  I am not a quitter, I am not a quitter, I AM NOT A QUITTER
  • RUN:  38:28 , Goal:  45 min /  T2:  1:57

I practically throw my bike in and jog out to the run start, the transition area was muddy before, but now it is practically a swamp.  I get to jogging.  Another contestant that was encouraging me during my swim was out there too.  As the last people in the race, we kept edging each other on as we passed each other in the different segments.  I  followed the  timer programmed 4 min warm up/ramp up to the 3/1 run/power walk interval I planned for the race.  I ran and ran, passing each mile marker fatigued, but happy.  As I saw the whirling lights of police cars at the 3rd mile marker getting closer, I sped up and ran faster towards the finish line.  I wanted to bust it all out, but the Woodstock like conditions of the approach to the finish line, made me overly cautious.  With all I went through already, I didn’t want to slip and crack my skull.
    • Mantra:  It doesn’t matter if you come in dead last, just that you finish.

Edited by BiafraGirl 2009-10-05 9:25 AM
2009-10-05 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2442808

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: NO LONGER A TRIATHLON VIRGIN
Huge CONGRATS!!!! You pushed through all the issues and became a triathlete and it sounds like you've caught the tribug as well

I also had a flat my very first race, unfortunately wasn't close enough to pedal it in and had to change it... Part of racing is pushing on and overcoming all the issues thrown at you, I have yet to have a race in the past 3 years where everything went perfect, it's part of the appeal for me... one day the perfect race will come!

BiafraGirl - 2009-10-05 9:07 AM

I just wanted to let y’all know that I am no longer a triathlon virgin. Tongue out I completed the MightyMan Sprint on 10/3/09 in 2:17:45 and I am darn proud of it.

OVERALL:

I am so proud of myself, I did it, I did it, I did it..  Through all the crazy s*&t leading up to and during the race I did it, I finished.  I know I will be so much better in my next race and I can’t wait.

HIGHLIGHTS:

• GOAL:  2:07, ACTUAL:  2:17:45
  • SWIM:  37:27,  Goal:  30 min

Started the swim calm and strong, but after a few minutes in the water, started hyperventilating.  According to one of the surfers that came to aid me after the 2nd stop in which I called out for help, my body was reacting to the mixed ingredients of the cold water, nervousness and perhaps not enough of a warm up.  Swimming in open water in the rain, did not help with the panic attacks either.   I came face to face to what it feels like to panic in water, hyperventilate and lose control.  I definitely now understand how people can drown due to a manic panic episode.  Surprised.I ended up having to stop five to seven times in the water but I kept moving forward.  Thank god for the supportive kayaker and surfer dudes. Not the performance that I envisioned, but I did not quit. Smile
    • Mantra:  I don’t want to quit, I don’t want to quit, I DON'T WANT TO QUIT.
  • BIKE:  55:28,  Goal:  45 min /  T1:  4:26

After an interesting swim, I ran out grab my bike, at this point it seemed like my bike was the only one left in the transition area, hell. I was seeing people beginning their run portion. Yuck.  I peeled off my suit threw it into my garbage bag and changed into my socks and sneakers, slipping and sliding in the rain and mud in the process.  After getting my muddy socks and asics on, I proceeded to run out with my bike to the mounting area.  As I rounded the curb right before the mount, the wind and rain amped up to torrential storm conditions.

Anxious to get going, I jam my feet into the toe straps and start pedaling, pumping.  Few minutes in my feet slide out of the pedals, and in my anxiousness, the blinding rain, I had a hard time putting them back in.  OMG I thought I wanted to break down and cry.  Pushing on, I decide to flip the pedals over and ride in flat pedal style, however, one of the straps kept scraping the ground.  I then decide to ride one foot strapped in and the other flat pedal style.  I pumped it as much as I could, not sure how to make myself go faster.  Make it out and back last mile I get a flat, a f*&%ing flat.  I can’t believe.  What to do?  Change a flat for the last half mile?  Run my bike in?  the joggers are passing me now.  I decide to ride it in slow and sure.
    • Mantra:  I am not a quitter, I am not a quitter, I AM NOT A QUITTER
  • RUN:  38:28 , Goal:  45 min /  T2:  1:57

I practically throw my bike in and jog out to the run start, the transition area was muddy before, but now it is practically a swamp.  I get to jogging.  Another contestant that was encouraging me during my swim was out there too.  As the last people in the race, we kept edging each other on as we passed each other in the different segments.  I programmed a 4 min warm up/ramp up to the 3/1 run/power walk I was going to do.  I ran and ran, passing each mile marker fatigued, but happy.  As I saw the whirling lights of police cars at the 3rd mile marker getting closer, I speed up, and run faster towards the finish line.  I wanted to bust it all out, but the Woodstock like conditions of the approach to the finish line, made me overly cautious.  With all I went through already, I didn’t want to slip and crack my skull.
    • Mantra:  It doesn’t matter if you come in dead last, just that you finish.

2009-10-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2442857

User image

Subject: RE: NO LONGER A TRIATHLON VIRGIN
Thanks for sharing. I have the tendency to blame myself and I was kicking myself for not double checking even though the bike was last serviced less than 12 hours before the race. 

evondo - 2009-10-05 10:31 AM Huge CONGRATS!!!! You pushed through all the issues and became a triathlete and it sounds like you've caught the tribug as well

I also had a flat my very first race, unfortunately wasn't close enough to pedal it in and had to change it... Part of racing is pushing on and overcoming all the issues thrown at you, I have yet to have a race in the past 3 years where everything went perfect, it's part of the appeal for me... one day the perfect race will come!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10