View Member's Race Log
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
Total Time = 5h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, this really isn't a "race" but it certainly was an adventure. Woke up at 4:30am couldn't eat or drink anything. My wife drove us to the hospital. Little chudley stayed at my wife's sister's house over night.
Event warmup:

7:30am - Neurosurgeon and Radiologist put the halo on me...when they want your head to be still in they really mean it! They bolt you down to the table. (see picture!)

8:00 - I had a preliminary MRI in order to pin point the area where the gamma knife was to cut. MRI lasted only 8 minutes.

10:20 am - Was prepped for the gamma knife...bolted to the table, asked for what music I'd like to listen to and the procedure began. I was programmed for a 23 minute treatment. The machine was just like getting a CAT scan or an MRI except that it was silent! When the treatment was over there were 3 little chimes that went "ding, ding, ding" kind of like a microwave oven...guess I was done!

11:20 am - Neurosurgeon and Radiologist checked on me and said I could go...we'll see them in 2 months!
Post race
Event comments:

Awesome experience...I'm luck to be in the shape I'm in compared to the other people I saw getting treatments done. One lady who has the same accoustic neuroma (brain tumor) as me...needed a cane in order to walk and had a very noticeable facial droop. (my tumor is 11mm, hers is 23mm)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-04 12:00 AM
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-10 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: GAMMA KNIFE TREATMENT!

2009-04-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2075764

User image

Winnipeg
Subject: RE: GAMMA KNIFE TREATMENT!
roll the rim to win! atta boy! so are you all clear now?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GAMMA KNIFE TREATMENT! Rss Feed