United States
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 2:45 a.m. with only 3-1/2 hours of sleep. Ate, took a shower, packed the van, woke up the kids, and left the house at 4:00 a.m. Ate a Cliff Bar at 5:00 a.m. enroute to Abilene. Arrived in town at 5:45 a.m., picked up the packet, went to the restroom, and chilled with the family for a bit.
Event warmup:

Stretched and thought about lightly jogging a bit, but it didn't get much further than a thought. Was notified the race was going to start about 30 minutes late because of the huge influx of participants this year. Talked with mom and Greg (they showed up while I was stretching) and continually shook my legs.
Run
  • 1h 44m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Began the race just a shade to hard, 7:37 the first mile. Caught a groove by pacing myself behind three ladies (averaged around 8:00/mile). I took a gel between miles 7 and 8. After mile 9, I noticed the ladies began slowing up so. I also looked at my watch and realized I could be sub 1:45:00 if I pushed myself harder, so I kicked it in gear and passed them. The last two miles I ran 7:52 and 7:40. Near the end, I passed another guy. He tried hanging on, but finally let me go. It was sweet joy when I hit the finish line below 1:45:00. There were a lot of volunteers with a lot of aid stations. Bypassed a few of them because I was staying plenty hydrated. Ran into issues operating my watch, therefore, my time isn't exact. I'm patiently waiting the final results. Oh ya, during my run I listened to Bride (The Jesus Experience album) and Deliverence (What a Joke and Stay of Execution albums). Also, I saw the Greenwells during the run. After talking with Bruce, he ran a 2:05:00 or a 2:07:00 (I cant remember) which he said is very good for him.
What would you do differently?:

For starters, get more sleep. Secondly, continue to pace myself the first couple of miles and run my own race.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with my family. Shaked my muscles a lot. Went to eat at McDonalds and did a nice little stretch in the parking lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had a good run. At this point, I ran the best race I could.

Event comments:

People were very hospitable. Even though the race was late, you couldn't ask for better volunteers. I would love to continue running this race.

Last updated: 2009-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:37 | 13.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Time was based from my watch. I did have troubles with it during the race, so this isn't exact.
Course: Was a nice scenic route. Went south out of town for a couple of miles and then turned east into a nice park. Didn't realize their park was so huge. The park was spectator friendly and I saw my family three different times. There were two uneven places in the pavement I just about pulled a Jeff, but I gained my footing in time. There was also a nice scenic bridge, but the footing was also a bit tricky. Then we headed unto another county road (were we ran by a Greyhound dog farm) a couple of miles before we hit a turnaround and repeated the course again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-11 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Eisenhower Marathon

2009-04-11 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2078619

User image

Plano, Tx
Subject: RE: Eisenhower Marathon
Good job on breakin 1:45!
2009-04-13 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2078619

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Eisenhower Marathon

Nice job Justin!

"There were two uneven places in the pavement I just about pulled a Jeff"

I laughed my butt off when I read that.  great race and race report.  You going to go sub 1:40 in Lincoln?

Edited by jeremy_424 2009-04-13 10:51 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eisenhower Marathon Rss Feed