United States
Boca Raton Road Runners
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 38s
Overall Rank = 229/395
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

I had a small bowl of Kix before the race. Wasn't sure if it would help or hurt, but I was up pretty early so I decided to eat something. Got our numbers, shirts, etc and got in line at the toilet. But the line was long and they started saying we wouldn't have time before the race started so we left. This would haunt me for the next 58 minutes! :)
Event warmup:

Nothing - just walked back and forth to the car after getting our shirts. Stretched a tiny bit since I am still sore from working out on Thursday.
Run
  • 57m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to find Mimi at the start but it was pretty crowded up there. Run was good but hot. We were drenched right away. I couldn't drink much at the water stations because I still had to pee, so I would have a tiny sip then pour the rest on my head. First few miles felt fine, Amber told me our pace was pretty fast for us - in the 9's. Somewhere around mile 3 or so she told me we were in the 8's! I got nervous that we needed to slow down but we kept going. I don't know how the Garmin works, but at one point she looked at me and said we were 7:45!! I'm sure that was for about 10 seconds.

She kept telling me to let her know if I wanted to slow down, but I didn't want to slow her down so I just tried to keep up with her. I ate my sport beans a little after half way. That wasn't a great idea. Since I didn't want to drink too much (the peeing problem) I only had a few sips of water with the beans and they sat in my stomach like a rock. So now I felt like I might puke and I had to pee!

I have to say, I don't remember a lot of people passing us, but we did pass a lot of people. I wish I had paid more attention to that because it rarely happens to me. :) A woman I know through the pre-school is (usually) a much faster runner than I am. I talked to her before the race and was SO happy when we gained on her in the last mile! I ended up beating her by about a minute. :)

That last mile was brutal. My stomach hurt, the pee was not wanting to wait another mile, I started to get the chills a bit. But, we were so close I tried to just keep my legs going.

Finish line seemed really far away, then I heard Mimi & Jamie cheering for me- it was so nice!! Unfortunately, I had to run right by them to get to the bathroom! I saw my husband and kids and had to speed by them as well! After a quick trip to the bushes (line was too long) I was able to say hi to everyone and cool down.

Overall I was SO happy that I beat last year's time by 5 minutes and my PR by 2 minutes!!

Oh - and this is probably the first time I can ever (kind of) say I was in the FOP!! At least in my age group I was in the top 1/3!
What would you do differently?:

Pee before the race started so I could drink a lot with my beans!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to Mimi & Jamie, watched Christopher kick butt in the kids race. ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to pee. Not really training much (my usual problem!)

Last updated: 2009-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:38 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/395
Performance: Good
Course: Down A1A along the ocean, turn into some nice neighborhoods then back out to A1A and finish the last .2 or so in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-12 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: Bull Run 10K

2009-04-12 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2079396

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-13 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2079396

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Bull Run 10K
Congtrats on the PR!!  From you bld I didn't realize you were running so fast now.  Wow!  And way to push at the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bull Run 10K Rss Feed