United States
Pagoda Pacer
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 379/688
Age Group = 30-40 F
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate a bowl of oatmeal with a banana. I only ate half. Drank a cup of coffee.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up for this, unless you count jumping up and down to keep warm as a warmup.
Run
  • 1h 46m 54s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was doing well up until the huge hill at about mile 7. This hill has to be a mile long, with a short break in the middle. I was a little concerned about my hamstring, but that didn't bother me on the hills. It bothered me in the mud. These hills did a number on my legs (quads) but I recovered nicely, but at that point my hammy was whispering to me so I didn't push it.

My name was picked in a drawing to carry a raw egg during this run. I was so excited. Most of the time it was easy, but there were a few embankments that you really needed the use of both hands. I was resourceful and found other ways up or dug my elbow into the mud to get up. At one point I slid right back down and thought to myself "how am I going to get up this without breaking my egg?" I did :-) I got a bunch of chocolate (Godiva) to take home with me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I may have passed more often. Sometimes I just felt like it wasn't the right time but in hindsight it was. Just keep passing next time :-) I did get stuck behind some people on the smaller hills and I also thought some people were being a bit too careful.

This was my first run at this length in a long time, since my injury last August. I felt like I did well considering.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some grub and waited to get my chocolate. It made me so happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hmmmm....probably the egg and I was trying to be careful. I really didn't want to hurt my hammy again, so I told myself to take it easy. I think I chose to take it easy at the right times and forced to take it easy at other times (due to being stuck behind others).

Event comments:

Great race. I think Ron Horn is great and puts on a good event. The course is great. This is my second year in a row doing this race. Fun stuff.

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:54 | 9.3 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/688
Performance: Good
Course: Trail run. Lots and lots of mud, some creek crossings, knocked down trees, a deer carcass in the path, and some tough hills, both up and down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-13 4:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Mt. Penn MudFest

2009-04-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2080163

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Mt. Penn MudFest
Nice job! I heard folks talking about Godiva afterwards but didn't know how they got it... good job for not breaking that egg in those conditions!
2009-04-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2080163

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: RE: Mt. Penn MudFest
Greta job - I can't imagine carrying an egg through that; at one point I had to shove a young lady up one of those muddy cliffs coming out of the creek. I'm glad I didn't have the pressure of the egg thing. If I did get picked, I would have thrown the egg in the woods and bought some chocolate for my wife on the way home...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mt. Penn MudFest Rss Feed