United States
43F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 47m 10s
Overall Rank = 102/162
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

up @ 4 and ate 3 pieces of toast with honey...packed my tranisition bag...got nervous about forgetting something...unpacked transition bag and verify everything is there....got nervous again...unpacked and repacked again...and so it goes
Event warmup:

ran a little
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so looking forward to the swim because I knew it was going to help warm me up. I jumped into the pool and sure enough it felt very warm but was a little painful on the frozen/numb extremities. Within the first 2 strokes my left calf went into full cramp mode as I expected. Thank goodness I have cramped plenty of times in training so was able to cope and just kept going and before the first lap was over the cramp had subsided. I remember being told that my arms would feel like lead and not believing it because I would only be using my legs in the first part of the race. However, not only did my arms feel like lead, my whole body felt like lead. My form felt atrocious as I could feel my legs dragging and felt as though I had no pull strength. I muddled through, passing 4-5 folks and finished in 8:20. That is a little slow for me but considering the circumstances not too shabby
What would you do differently?:

Be more prepared for swimming tired.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

reverse tri so T1 was run to bike.

Not put on extra socks but weather conditions demanded it.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 40s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 14.63 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was every bit as hard as I imagined it would be. I drove the course the day before and knew it was going to be a challenge. I started off strong and was feeling good for the first few miles but then I hit a very rainy stretch. By the time I hit the halfway point of the course I was soaking wet. My calves and feet were very cold but the rest of me was ok aside from being wet. Lots and lots of climbing, again not what I would call moderately hilly. Unfortunately my Garmin froze on me just before T1, I'm guessing because of the rain, so I had no feedback as to how I was doing. I just continued to push and was riding right on the ragged edge. My left calf was on the verge of cramping and my right hammy was in the same shape. I spent most of the climbs in my lowest gear, spinning my way up all the hills. I'm guessing I got passed by about 15 folks and passed only 3-5 myself. I finished the 16.5 mile course in 1:07 something which is about 15 miles per hour. I'm not happy with the time but considering all the climbing I think I did the best I could. It was a loop course and I'm guessing there was way more climbing than descent but don't have my Garmin to verify.

TRAIN MORE!
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

reverse so T2 = bike to swim. T2 was pretty tough, fingers and feet were numb making it tough to move and remove clothing. Due to the weather I had 3 layers on top to remove and I wore my running tights which were a bit difficult to take off but was out of there in about 2 minutes.

Not wear so much clothing but weather dictated it.
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went pretty much as planned. Since this was a 'C' race I didn't want to go out too hard knowing the bike was going to be my biggest challenge. My prerace strategy was to shoot for around 27 minutes and I finished in 27 and change. The course is described as moderately hilly and I think that was an understatement. The first half of the course was all climb culminating in a steep trail climb. The next mile or so was mostly down hill trail and the finish was about a .5 mile climb to transition.

Should have pushed the pace harder but since this was my first tri I wasn't sure how hard to go.
Post race
Warm down:

slight stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike and run training

Last updated: 2009-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 400 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 24/162
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: indoor pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:40 | 16.5 miles | 14.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 119/162
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: described as 'moderately hilly' but seemed like an understatement.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 94/162
Performance: Average
Course: moderately hilly but seemed very hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-13 11:14 AM

Veteran
Subject: Spring Fling Triathlon

2009-04-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2080843

Subject: RE: Spring Fling Triathlon

Congratulations.  It sounds like it was a challenging course.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling Triathlon Rss Feed