Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-30 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2089847

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet for Athletes - review
I agree with the eating clean portion. Although it is not hard for me to do, I am trying to get my family to do this.

I make a point of trying to "only shop the outside" of a supermarket (butcher, produce, grains, dairy) versus the things that come in boxes in the aisles.

For example, I like to eat regular oatmeal with sunflower seeds and raisins, but my wife and son love to eat the flavored "peaches and cream" chemistry experiments called oatmeal.

2009-04-30 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2120100

eabeam - 2009-04-30 7:39 AM I agree with the eating clean portion. Although it is not hard for me to do, I am trying to get my family to do this.

I make a point of trying to "only shop the outside" of a supermarket (butcher, produce, grains, dairy) versus the things that come in boxes in the aisles.

For example, I like to eat regular oatmeal with sunflower seeds and raisins, but my wife and son love to eat the flavored "peaches and cream" chemistry experiments called oatmeal.

Yup, same here. I pretty much only venture down the aisles for oatmeal (regular, plain, quick-cooking or steel cut oats - NOT the flavored kind), the occasional box of pasta or brown rice, no-sugar-added applesauce, crackers, and then anything I'd need for a recipe (like tomato paste, etc).

2009-04-30 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Hey Guys,

So I started the Paleo yesterday after reading the book over the weekend and my last 2 workouts have sucked!!  I completely bonk after like 20 mins.  Today on my run my HR was 15 BPM faster than usual until about 45 minutes into the run and then it settled down but if I tried to push the pace at all it jumped right back up to waaaay above normal.

CoRocks - did you experience this in the beginning?  In the book they mentioned when Joe Friel tried it he had crappy workouts for about 2 weeks until it got better.  How long did it last for you?

Thx!
2009-05-01 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

Today is day five for me and I am not feeling so hot either.  I am WAY more sore than usual and I don't really feel so hot during my workouts.  I am looking for to having 2 weeks behind me and then seeing where I'm at.

I did notice that my mile times were way slow today in the same zones.

2009-05-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2123601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
trey800hj - 2009-05-01 11:39 AM

Today is day five for me and I am not feeling so hot either.  I am WAY more sore than usual and I don't really feel so hot during my workouts.  I am looking for to having 2 weeks behind me and then seeing where I'm at.

I did notice that my mile times were way slow today in the same zones.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I have a race 2wks from Sunday so I'm hoping it turns around by then...  although my bike ride went okay yesterday.  As far as the extra soreness - make sure you are eating in the 30 minute window after exercise and doing the 4-1 ratio during that time.  No matter what my daily eating patterns, I will consistently get sore only when I don't manage to eat during that window after exercise.
2009-05-02 6:46 AM

CO
Hey everyone - sorry for the delay in the response. Yes, I felt relatively crappy during my first two weeks of workouts so that is normal. I was training for a marathon at the time and I felt especially bad on my long runs. By week 3, I felt significantly better during and after my workouts.

Remember to take in simple sugars during exercise and have a recovery drink afterwards, that helps a lot. Your body is going through a sort of "cleanse period" right now and it's not used to being deprived of starches, processed sugars, dairy...etc.

If you are just starting out, try to commit to sticking with it for 4 weeks to give it a fair shot. After that, if you still aren't performing better/feel better/look better etc then maybe consider trying something else.

Edited by CORocks 2009-05-02 6:48 AM

2009-05-02 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Try eating bananas and taking potassium supplements.  I have found that during the transition period, you end up flushing a lot of potassium from your kindneys, particularly if you are really cutting back on carbs otherwise.  This has what has made me feel crappy in the past.

2009-05-03 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
So I've been easing into the diet for a few days.   did you guys go cold turkey, or ease into it?
2009-05-03 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

I went cold turkey.

Also what are you guys using for recovery drinks.  I'm not really up for making the drink he talks about, what are some good choices you can buy?

2009-05-04 8:51 AM

CO
I've been using EnduroxR4 for my recovery drink and like it. It has the 4:1 carb/protein ratio and tastes relatively good
2009-05-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2127382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
I went cold turkey too.  Its really not too bad since you can have the carbs before and after workouts.  I didn't feel like I was doing anything dramatic or depriving myself of anything.  In fact, it's motivation to get out there and do a hard workout!

Accelerade (also 4:1) is my magic juice    I also bought some whey protein and have been mixing that with applesauce for post workout recovery.

Thx for the reply Co.  After a few crappy workouts, it's gotten a lot better already.  I noticed having a high-carb pre-workout meal seems to do the trick for me.  No weight loss yet but clothes are fitting better and I feel good overall

2009-05-04 9:57 AM

CO
Whey protein powder and unsweetened applesauce is glorious!

I'm sure you will start shedding pounds soon. Glad to hear you are feeling better and liking it so far
2009-05-04 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2128247

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

CORocks - 2009-05-04 7:57 AM Whey protein powder and unsweetened applesauce is glorious! I'm sure you will start shedding pounds soon. Glad to hear you are feeling better and liking it so far

I thought Whey wasn't allowed in this plan?

2009-05-04 7:59 PM

CO
It's okay for a post workout meal. The authors list it among a bunch of other things that are acceptable either before or right after a workout
2009-05-04 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2130016

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

CORocks - 2009-05-04 5:59 PM It's okay for a post workout meal. The authors list it among a bunch of other things that are acceptable either before or right after a workout

Gotcha. I really need to re read the book. I'm going to Europe for two weeks before coming back to the states and starting my HIM training. I think I'll take it with me and read it on the plane.

2009-05-27 11:40 AM

New user
Have been doing this diet for a week now and thought I'd contribute.  I really like the theroy behind it once I answered a few questions for myself like how to get enough fiber and what about Vitamin D?

So far, I feel good; have enough energy, don't really crave the grains or sweets, but I do feel hungry very quickly after a meal.  I find I have to eat every two hours.  I also tried logging the food I ate, and I was shocked by how much more fat I'm taking in!  It's almost all good fat (avocado, nuts, lean protein), though I occasionally have a fattier cut of meat, but it's still a little scary to someone who is used to keeping relatively low fat.  When I used to swim competitively, and lifting weights a lot, my coach tried to get me to take a tablespoon of flaxseed or similar oil a few times a day and I balked, if that tells you anything.

I don't think I've lost any weight yet, and I don't feel any digestive changes or less bloating (one of the reasons I decided to try it.)

I've decided to give myself two "cheat" meals per week, and to have a little bit of milk in my morning coffee.  I haven't received the book yet (on order) - my online search seems to indicate a mug of coffee a day is ok, as is a glass of wine?  That works for me. 

The hardest part is making salad dressing without vinegar (going through a lot of lemons and limes) and not having any soy sauce - I love sashimi!  And, of course, keeping to the diet when eating out with friends, which happens a lot in NYC.  Overall, I think it's a good plan.  Time will tell...

Sarah

2009-05-28 6:47 AM

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
I'd love to hear how this goes for you. I've read the books and it makes perfect sense and would like to try it as well. My hurdles are time constraints as far as preparing food and the fact that I have to cook for my family who will still want to eat grains, dairy etc. I'm not willing to give up my morning coffee, no way.
2009-05-29 12:40 PM

New user
So far it's going pretty well.  I do feel hungry a lot of the time, so I probably haven't figured out what's best to eat when.  It's a different sort of hungry, though - do you know the feeling you get when you are starving and you eat carrots or an apple?  As if adding food to your stomach makes you feel hungrier?  Or maybe I'm just crazy.  Anyway, that's the kind of hungry I am a lot.

What I really notice a difference on is my digestion.  I used to get bloated a lot and now I'm not at all.  Then one day I ate a protein bar (the first processed food in a while) and it immediately made me bloated and crampy.  If that's the only benefit, then it's benefit enough.

It does take a lot of effort to prepare food, and it's expensive.  Snacks are very hard, since sometimes I just can't face any more fruit and don't want the extra fat of nuts. 

Not sure I've been doing this long enough to know how it affects my workout energy, but I will keep aware and keep you posted.
2009-05-31 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA
Glad to find this thread.  The book has been sitting on my shelf since 2007 and it prompted me to give it a look. Hope everyone continues to keep this thread active and report in with results.
2009-06-05 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

How is the Paleo going for you?  I have my HIM in a week then a week's vacation.  Plan on reading the bood at the beach ans starting as soon as we get back.

I would love to hear some progress reports

2009-06-07 8:20 AM

New user
So far I'm at about three weeks and I feel very good.  I am thinking of this as a total lifestyle diet rather than for weight loss, so I don't give myself grief for the occasional lapse.  I do try to keep those moments limited to after workouts, and to all natural rather than processed food, so at least if I'm cheating I'm not doing the worst thing for my body.

I have suffered no sluggishness and I'm sleeping better than ever.  My energy levels during workouts are very good.  I think my digestion has never been better either.  The hardest part is finding acceptable food in airports.  I travel a lot for work and it's nearly impossible to get unprocessed, non-carb heavy food in airports except for fruit and nuts.  Not that either of those are bad, but the nuts especially are dense with fat and I don't want to get too much of that.

I have to say I'm a fan overall, though.  I don't really miss dairy (I do put a little milk in my one cup of coffee) and I don't miss processed food at all.  It's hard to shut out all the popular wisdom about whole grains.  Once I got over missing oatmeal, though, it was not too bad.

2009-06-10 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I'm starting back on this today! I have been eating a lot of crap lately and I'm CONSTANTLY hungry. I've gained weight, but I need to LOSE weight. I am so frustrated. Hopefully this will help!
2009-06-10 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2207865

Extreme Veteran

maura9900 - 2009-06-11 5:05 AM I'm starting back on this today! I have been eating a lot of crap lately and I'm CONSTANTLY hungry. I've gained weight, but I need to LOSE weight. I am so frustrated. Hopefully this will help!

I've got to chip in here with my 2c. I really like the concept of the Paleo diet, and have taken on board some of the principles in my daily eating, but I'm not prepared to go fully paleo. To me a good healthy balanced diet is good enough without being obsessive about avoiding certain foods.

For people who want to dedicate their life to achieving something major in this sport then Paleo may help, but for the rest of us eating fresh healthy well balanced foods, and minimising the rest is good enough.

Paleo is not some miracle cure-all, nor is it a weight loss diet. It is simply another approach to nutrition that works for some people, but not others.

With all respect, if you are constantly hungry, eating lots of crap, and yo-yoing in weight,  then there is probably a behaviour or attitude to food that you need to address BEFORE you consider taking on a nutrition plan like Paleo. Going Paleo might just seem like a deprivation that you respond to by binging and clensing. Not a happy / healthy place to be (trust me).

Please don't take offense at this post - I don't know your or your behaviours and motivations at all, but some of the language you used seemed to me like indicators of something else going on. Sort that "something else" out first, and the nutrition side might just sort itself.

Good luck.

Gerrard

2009-06-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2181295

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

slkirsch - 2009-05-29 10:40 AM So far it's going pretty well.  I do feel hungry a lot of the time, so I probably haven't figured out what's best to eat when.  It's a different sort of hungry, though - do you know the feeling you get when you are starving and you eat carrots or an apple?  As if adding food to your stomach makes you feel hungrier?  Or maybe I'm just crazy.  Anyway, that's the kind of hungry I am a lot.

What I really notice a difference on is my digestion.  I used to get bloated a lot and now I'm not at all.  Then one day I ate a protein bar (the first processed food in a while) and it immediately made me bloated and crampy.  If that's the only benefit, then it's benefit enough.

It does take a lot of effort to prepare food, and it's expensive.  Snacks are very hard, since sometimes I just can't face any more fruit and don't want the extra fat of nuts. 

Not sure I've been doing this long enough to know how it affects my workout energy, but I will keep aware and keep you posted.

The fat in the nuts is very healthy and encouraged in the diet. As long as you're keeping track of the portion sizes of the nuts you're not going to gain weight. They're not like potato chips.

2009-06-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2208677

New user
Mirg - 2009-06-10 6:34 PM

slkirsch - 2009-05-29 10:40 AM So far it's going pretty well.  I do feel hungry a lot of the time, so I probably haven't figured out what's best to eat when.  It's a different sort of hungry, though - do you know the feeling you get when you are starving and you eat carrots or an apple?  As if adding food to your stomach makes you feel hungrier?  Or maybe I'm just crazy.  Anyway, that's the kind of hungry I am a lot.

The fat in the nuts is very healthy and encouraged in the diet. As long as you're keeping track of the portion sizes of the nuts you're not going to gain weight. They're not like potato chips.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the differences in the fat of nuts versus potato chips.  I haven't eaten a potato chip in years and I've taken whole tablespoons of flax oil during specific training regimens in the past .  However, nuts are fat dense and sometimes additional fat is not what I need on a given day.  I'm not concerned that adding nuts will lead to weight gain, I'm concerned that having only high fat options available when you need a snack can throw the day out of balance.  If you reach the late afternoon and need a snack, but the day has already been fat heavy (from salmon, avocado, other nuts, whatever) then more fat is not a great option.  My point for those just embarking on the diet is that, with choices somewhat limited (let's face it, it's very hard to snack on lean meats and vegetables when you are busy, working, traveling) snacks are particularly difficult to figure out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet for Athletes - review Rss Feed  

of 10