General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bunions?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-15 2:18 PM

New user

Colorado
Subject: Bunions??
Just wondering if anyone else has bunions and if you get blisters under them when you run, and what to do about them. Mine aren't really bad (like surgery bad), but they do bother me sometimes when I run. Wondering if arch supports in my shoes would help?? And could I just get the cheap kind or would I have to get the more expensive ones? I working on a budget. Any advise would be appreciated!!! I'm not running that far YET, so I can deal with it for now, but in the future I plan on getting better, and don't want to have to run with blisters on my feet all the time. :-) Thanks for any help!!!
Jo

2004-03-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: #12480

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Bunions??

I am also the proud owner a a lovely pair of bunions.  I get blisters where the side of the joint rubs the shoes, not the bottom.  I also get skin peeling off in the middle of the ball of my foot (just on the right) because (my podiatrist says) since my toe bends towards my next toe, my foot rotates during pushoff for stability (he's an ironman, believe it or not, so he's familiar with the sports stuff).  I have been cushioning them with a small amount of cotton and adhesive tape which works for short races (10K and shorter or sprint duathlons), but that won't fly in a triathlon or longer race.  I haven't gotten the orthotics yet so I don't know if they will work.  Generally I would say as long as you can live with whatever it does to you without too much problem, don't get anything expensive.

Sharon

2004-03-16 12:47 PM

New user

Colorado
Thanks Sharon!
I think I am going to try some arch supports one of these days when I make it to town to buy some - hehe.
Hopefully that will help some, otherwise I'll just live with it!
Thanks a bunch.
Jo :-)
2004-03-16 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
While I don't have buinons, I get blisters on the outer side of my big toe. Tape for the bunions. Gel insoles for the heel.
2004-03-16 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I've been running for years - high school track, college cross country - with moderate bunions. Lots of people have looked at them, from team trainers to an orthopedic surgeon, and I've gotten lots of advice and tried lots of things. I used to get fairly serious blisters, but you know what finally worked? Running a whole lot. My feet finally just hardened up. One thing I recommend against: pedicures. They take off all that nice protective callous! I realize this isn't a very helpful answer, but you know - for what it's worth.
2004-03-16 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
I've got a fairly serious bunion on my right foot - big toe. I have taken my dress shoes to a "Shoe Hospital" - find someone who has a "stretcher" - my guy actually uses a chemical and stretcher and makes a pouch that works fine. This doesn't work so well for running shoes or sneakers since they always revert back. I have net on my Brooks running shoes - more flexible - hard leather is not workable at all.

Insoles won't help sderious bunions. If push comes to shove, I will use an exacto knife (did this with my everyday sneakers) and made an x cut right where the bunion is - if that doesn't work, I cut a hole for the bunion. (Yup - more $$) BUT - there is no way I'm doing surgery this year - my ortho says no running for 4 - 6 months with a bunion repair. He also said to find a good DPM - they do way more foot surgery than the MD orthos. I'm going to see one to get a "plan" that will accomodate my tri seasons. When I talked cutting my shoes the shoe hospital guy ws the one who told me to use an exacto - "So I'm not thr first to talk cutting soes?" He says no - it's done all the time - the exacto dosn't do the damage a hole in the shoe will - he says the foot docs will sometimes simply cut the hole.

Good luck - when bunions are serious they can stop your training - GO AHEAD CUT THOSE SUCKERS! My foot feels fine!

2004-03-17 12:01 AM

New user

Colorado
Wow, thanks for all of the advise!! Kinda afraid to cut holes in my shoes, luckly I don't think mine are that bad! But if it comes down to it, I'll try it. Kinda nice to hear so many triathletes with bunions - not that I'm glad you all have them, I wouldn't wish them on anyone, but good to know you're all still tuckin along with them - I really don't ever want surgery - my friend had surgery on hers and now she just has different problems stemming from the surgery. So, anyone thinking of surgery - make sure you get a good doctor and make sure you do your rehab afterward (that is where her problem came from). Anyway, thanks for all of the great advise, this site is so great!
Jo
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bunions?? Rss Feed