United States
Extreme Dreams
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 38/373
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/36
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race, my legs felt sore when walking up the stairs in the hotel Wow, that's not a good sign. I may be still recovering from the 15 miles 5 days beforehand, or a really hard 5k workout 2 days beforehand.

Easy race to get to in the morning, so I was able to rise at 6am for a 7am race. Stayed at the host hotel and that worked well. Ate a Clif Bar and was sipping on a Gatorade. After parking at the inlet, walked up the boardwalk a few blocks to find the city bathrooms that won't be full of racers. Worked well in that respect. Took one gel a few minutes before the start.
Run
  • 1h 45m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Was hoping to do a sub 1:45 if I had a good day but wasn't too stuck on it. Started out with an 8 minute mile exactly. Usually I am a bit ahead of the planned pace, and sticking the first mile is usually a sign that I am not going to be able to do my hoped pace. But I stuck with the 8s, and just monitoring the situation. At mile 5 I pass a guy that I have talked to while running this race, at least 3 other years. We briefly talk, but he is slowing up so I head off. Took one gel the whole race, around mile 6. The Perpetuem seems to be doing me well enough on its own. A little later, I end up talking with another guy who is hoping to do a 1:45. Getting into a conversation, I can lose my focus and slow up a bit. Can you see where that happened in my splits? After realizing we are trailing off, we boost it up a bit and get back on track. Both of our GPS watches are marking about a tenth of a mile before the markers, and we get worried about which is correct. Thinking that courses are certified as a whole and not for individual markers, I rely on the watch. That was a bad move, but maybe I couldn't have done anything about it anyway. As we near the dreaded Assateague Bridge that usually has horrible winds, I saw that we just need to crest this bridge and we are home free. Well, the other side is a lot longer than I was remembering at the moment. :-) Nevertheless we crested the bridge without losing time, and stuck our mile splits on the other side. Coming to the finish line, the line is a bit further away than I was figuring, and I miss sub 1:45 by 18 or so seconds. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Don't slow down when I start getting in conversations!
Post race
Warm down:

Went for another 5 miles on Assateague Island, to get my miles in for the day. Legs were still pretty fresh. Not sure if that's from my Zensah sleeves, Perpetuem, my training, or a combination.

Went to post race party, chowed down on pizza and did a lot of yoga stretching, then ran another 1.5 miles back to my car at the inlet, foregoing the hotel shuttle. Stood in the 50 degree ocean for 15 minutes to try to get those legs recovered after 19 miles. I sure feel pretty good for having done 19 miles today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My 15 miler on Monday and hard 5k on Thursday.

Event comments:

Good race, I highly recommend it. I would carry one bottle though, as the aid stations can seem far apart. The post race party is awesome, with a pool party at the hotel, and lots of beer and pizza. Running from Ocean City to Assateague is quite a treat, it's one of my favorite races. The full marathon was supposed to resume next year, and I would probably do that one. The full marathon isn't as good as the half though.

Last updated: 2009-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:18 | 13.1 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/36
Overall: 38/373
Performance: Good
8:00, 7:59, 7:55, 7:58, 7:58, 7:51, 8:09, 8:04, 8:08, 7:56, 8:00, 7:59, 7:52
Course: Flat, with one hill, the Assateague Island Bridge. Weather can be a big factor in this race, with cold, snow, and up to 40mph winds. BUT, today was perfect. No wind, temps in the 60s.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-18 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: Ocean City Half Marathon

2009-04-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2094017

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: Ocean City Half Marathon
Great job Dave. I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean City Half Marathon Rss Feed