NYRR
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 36s
Overall Rank = 5663/7562
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 447/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15, out the door by 6:45. Stopped DD for BEC & coffee and some gas. Found out parking by the 72nd street area is not that bad at all (especially Sundays). Got my stuff, hung out, stretched a bit.
Event warmup:

Nothing at all, just some stretching, nothing more.
Run
  • 40m 36s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was surprised at a few things today, I did'nt walk half this course, my knees felt extremely well the entire time, which was awesome. Then I was surprised at how well my HR held on to 173 for the longest time (I had thought it was busted).
I put myself at the end so as not to hold anyone up but it turned out I was the one passing a people from beginning to end. Experience taught me to hold my pace well. I had lost track of the mile markers from looking down all the time but I managed to spot mi/marker 3 (30:53). I realized I was fairly easily going to make it non-stop, decided to pick it up just a bit.
By 3mi was feeling that tightness on my left traps & was dodging a lot of walkers so I jumped on the grass and really enjoyed the soft but not mushy ground for a while. I was happy to finish strong wanting to go faster but with so many walkers at this point made it unsafe.
What would you do differently?:

Train more to avoid being so paranoid about not making it. Probably do a faster pace but I did not have my foot pod (on it's way to St. A's) & was not paying enough attention to see the other mile markers.
Post race
Warm down:

A good stretch on the grass, felt a lot of tense muscles loosen up. Took a bagel & water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insecurity due to lack of training.

Event comments:

Did this primarily to qualify for the 2010 marathon but I would enjoy it just for the run as well. Look forward to more similar & would do this one again.

Last updated: 2009-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:36 | 04 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 447/
Overall: 5663/7562
Performance: Good
According to NYRR my pace was 10:09. HR was avg 171, max 192 1st 3mi 30:53 = 10:17 min/mi last mi 9:43 = 9:43 min/mi
Course: Started at about the 72nd street transverse. Worked out way north, then went east before the big hill, south at the west side then back for a bit circle. The last mile was really nice, half downhill, half flat. Overall some ups and downs, nice mild course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes