United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 29m 56s
Overall Rank = 82/8532
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/598
Pre-race routine:

I got up about 5AM so I could eat 2hrs before the race. I picked up a friend and headed downtown. We got parked quickly and left all our warm clothes in the car and went across the street into Union Station warm up a bit, stretch, and use the bathrooms.
Event warmup:

I jogged inside the mall for a few minutes, then stretched very lightly. We left Union Station with just a couple minutes to spare, and ran several blocks to the start line. Nothing like being a little scared of being late to get the heart rate up!
Run
  • 1h 29m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

On Wednesday, I wrote down my time goals (you can even see them in my blog) with the splits I'd have to hit if I was to reach my goal in this race.

3mi - 20:30
6.25mi - 42:30
9mi - 1:01:30
12mi - 1:22:30
13.1mi - 1:30:00

Being near the front of the pack starting out, I got a good jump on my goals. I hit the first mile under 7:00 without struggle. I was feeling optimistic about the day, despite the constant rain and sloppy wet road conditions. After 3 miles I was right on target, but noticed that my garmin said I had already run 3.08mi before I even hit their mile marker. (That would continue throughout the race, and eventually my watch said the race was 13.26mi long.)
At the 6.25mi point where my wife was waiting for me at the marathon-relay check-point, I was dead-on again. My effort level at that point was high, but sustainable. I was holding back just slightly.
By 9mi, I was still at my goal pace, but very anxious for the turn, and looking forward to the downhill stretches towards the finish. I had taken a gel at mile 7, so I was enjoying the boost, and I still felt really good. I was only slightly worried about blistering feet, so my overall status was excellent. Hips, knees, feet, gut... all good.
The front of the race was really spread out by this point, and I ran by myself for the longest time. There were 2 guys in front of me - one 75yds in front of me, and another 50yds beyond that. Mile 12 was quick, hitting 6:30's because I was so excited to be feeling awesome at the end of the race. I really pumped up as I got closer and closer to the reality of beating my best-day-ever race goal. Mile 13 was even better. I dug deep, fixed my posture, increased my turnover, and churned out a 6-flat pace to the finish. I made up a lot of ground by passing the first guy, and getting shoulder-to-shoulder with the second.
We came through the finish line at a balls-out dead sprint, and the crowd seemed to erupt just for us. And I actually heard my name announced for once, which was a great.
After crossing the line safely, I stopped my watch. "1:30:00" exactly. What a day! There is something to be said for the power of suggestion, and the benefits of putting goals on paper. I will continue the habit of challenging myself this way.
What would you do differently?:

I would look up more! I was so focused on choosing good footing (rather than a puddle), that I forgot to glance at the skyline once in a while to take in the scenery.
Post race
Warm down:

Consumed food and beer with my friend who finished a couple mintues behind. I got cold pretty quickly, so I went to the car to get changed into warm, dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

The course is interesting, given the change in elevation, landmarks, turns, etc. It helps keep things fresh. The only thing they could have done was order better weather! All in all, a quality race, with a good longsleeve technical shirt that I'll be proud to wear in public.

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:56 | 13.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/598
Overall: 82/8532
Performance: Good
Course: A couple out and backs downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-20 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Go! St. Louis Half Marathon

2009-04-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2097870

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: Go! St. Louis Half Marathon
 Great race B! You had a solid mental aproach to the race and finished strong, awesome job. Congrats!
2009-04-21 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2097870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Go! St. Louis Half Marathon
Frickin Awesome!!!  Nailed it is right.  Way to go!  Way to hit your goals.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Go! St. Louis Half Marathon Rss Feed