General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and Wondering... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-15 7:20 PM

Subject: New and Wondering...
My story - in brief - have always struggled with my weight, have lost about 55 pounds over last 1 1/2 years through eating right and exercise - started running last summer, have been leisure cyclist for several years - have decided to do my first tri July 25 - started my "training" 2 weeks ago - LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT ! Got a swim coach to help me with my stroke - ok, all's well, there - biggest challenge right now - how much to eat??? I am doing about 5 hours in total volume a week right now plus 2 - 25 minute strength training sessions - I feel pretty good but I know that my eating might be a little light, especially during the week - but - the scale says I have gained about 3-4 pounds - what gives? I am 5'8" and weighed 145 - now up to 149 -

any thoughts on how much I should be eating to support my training? I know I am a little goofy on this because I have just come off "eat less to lose weight" now I have to switch to "eat more to support training" - this is very different way of thinking -

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.

2004-03-15 10:59 PM
in reply to: #12537

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: New and Wondering...
try the calculators on this page  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Diet%20&%20Nutrition.htm  they are about mid way down the page.
2004-03-15 11:25 PM

I know what you mean about gaining a few pounds while eating the same AND training more. I've just experienced that too. I'd like to think that I may have gained some muscle, thus the higher read on the scale. Any experienced triathletes out there who may know if I'm right or completely off?
2004-03-16 1:34 AM

Champion
No, you sound exactly on track. Any time you add that much training, especially resistance and weight training, you'll gain muscle mass in addition to having fat reduction. the increased weight of the muscle gains may slightly outweigh (no pun intended) the fat loss. For a better perception, go by how you look in the mirror, and by how your clothes fit. Don't get too "number conscious" on the scale and then start starving yourself in order to lose weight. You'll just be setting yourself up for a low energy situation. I think you're doing great...keep up the good work!

Max
2004-03-16 4:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Thats the great part about training! You can eat more! ;-)
2004-03-16 5:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
hehe, yeah im lovin it... eat what you burn, thats my motto (not that i follow it too much )

.:aidan:.

2004-03-16 7:34 AM

User image

New Hampshire
Part of the reason (for me) to do this was to lose weight - I couldn’t just go to the gym for the sake of it – I had to have a reason. However I have found that I have lost very little. Part of that is because of the food I eat – nutrition isn’t my strong point –and partly because I’m converting fat into muscles – I already look much different and mainly have to work on my “molson muscle” now. You may need to eat more – but I’m guessing your body will let you know.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and Wondering... Rss Feed