General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
hfp racing
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 16s
Overall Rank = 30/600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/38
Pre-race routine:

rode down with david tris the afternoon before. checked in, rode a few miles and ran a mile and a half had pb & j chips and beer. watch a movie and went to sleep.

up at 5:30
fruit grain bar, power bar oj and coffee

went to transition to find i was placed in the third row (so were david, newbz, and kate) i whined to david about this a bunch because this row required an extra 10-20 meters of running along with 4 turns that the other 2 rows didn't have (yes, i am still bitter)

several trips to the bathroom, meeting some BTers and general confusion about chips and starting time.

took a GU and couple shots of the inhaler and got in line to go.

Event warmup:

warm up????

seriously - if i need to be out of the water half an hour before i start it wouldn't be a warm up anyway.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 454 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

i was passing people but wasn't working hard enough. i will have to enter a faster seed time at future races

people were backed up to get out at the steps - i popped out on the wall next to the steps and passed 5 people - advice: don't wait
What would you do differently?:

get an attitude adjustment

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

i decided to run in the shoes because it wasn't a long trans area and i am not apt at getting into shoes while rolling.

trans area went well for my first time with clipless pedals

again- no timing

learn to get on barefoot
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.74 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

i didn't list race pace because too easy wasn't an option

get my head out of the sand
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

i didn't pull my yankz tight. i forgot to take off my helmet ond glasses and had to stop and go back a few steps.

yep that's right - no timing here either

wear socks if it is cold. it is a new bike i need to make some adjustments. not forget stuff
Run
  • 19m 48s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My feet were numb with cold for the first half mile. once they thawed i realized my laces were loose. loose shoes cause foot slappin casues shin problems - have you read enough of my whining yet?

my goal was to be under 19. my stand alone 5ks are 18:03-18:17 so that was reasonable - especially with my lack of effort in bike and swim today.

unfortunately my poor mental toughness followed me to this event.

not be a panzie. tighten my laces
Post race
Warm down:

ran a half a mile. walked 1.5 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental attitude. shoulder pain.

Event comments:

NO RACE SPLITS. Post race activities -A kroger bag with a banana and crackers? Lopsided transition area. Lots of tight turns in the 5k. Traffic not controlled in bike. What was going on at the start of the swim? i'm not really into riding a king of the mountains event. Mile markers either missing or not clear. To be fair to the event i may be taking my attitude/peformance to my overall race rating.
The positives didn't have anything to do with what the race org did: I learned some things and friends were there.
I doubt I'll do this race again.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 454 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Below average
i changed the distance from 437.54 yards to 454 yards because the race also covers one width of the pool. swim time also includes over 25 meters to T1 not that i will ever know my time anyway since the race co and timing co seem to have lost most results
Suit: LG tri shorts
Course: 50 meter pool snake 8 lanes start was 5 meter run/walk jump in push off - one swimmer at a time LOOSLY based on time.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.74 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
i don't wear a heart rate monitor, wear a watch or have a trip computer.
Wind: Little
Course: WOW - I was told it was hilly. I didn't realize how hilly. I was in the smallest gear, standing on the pedals and movin slow up the first hill. the next 3 big ones weren't much friendlier. there was some loose gravel on a sharp left turn where you wanted some speed to get up a hill. the police allowed cars to go at an intersection forcing me to stop. pretty miffed about that. several other intersections without volunteers or police. they were ones that the bikes had the right of way but i know when i am riding that a car coming has more mass than me and i slow down to make sure they aren't going to kill me. so i slowed at one until i could make eye contact. hills are challenging not stopping traffic is WRONG once again - no timing
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:48 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Course: flat but lots of turns
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-04-22 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2009-04-22 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2102189

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Um, Brue, were we at the same race?
2009-04-22 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
There were some things I didn't care forthat you didn't mind like hills and poor trans area.
you didn't get stopped and slowed by cars.

We can agree that no split timing is bad.

the other issues i had were not miamis fault - poor mental attitude, shoulder injury, post race cramps - but they were part of my experience.  even though they should be separated - they become part of the whole.

like i said earlier - i had a poor attitude going into into it.  the fact you drove got me to the starting line -otherwise i may have been a DNS
2009-04-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2102853

User image

Master
Ohio

You're right, I didn't get slowed by cars. I was just slow all on my own.

Yeah, no split timing sucks. I do agree about that.

2009-04-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2102918

User image

Champion
could have been worse, you could have walked 3 miles on cold roads holding your bike;-)

on the closed course part, for a triathlon you are gonna be paying WAY more than 40-50 for a closed bike course,

see multiple hundreds, or nationals.
2009-04-22 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
believe me - your race makes me feel a little better about mine (not that something bad happened to you but that it is a reminder that things could have gone worse for me)

i know that the more closed roads the more money (see entry fee for the NY marathon)

i just want a volunteer with  flag or a couple of cones and a sign 

2009-04-22 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Sorry to hear you had such a blah race, Brue.
2009-04-22 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
OK guessing my times - the swim is fairly predictable - let's say 6 minutes* (1:22 / 100 yds)  plus 1.5 minutes pool side to exit of T1.  I know my 5k time was 19:48.  lt's say T2 was 42 secs.

So 69:16 - (19:48 + :42 + 1.5 + 6) = 41:16 for the bike or 18.52 mph avg.

now this is just guessing - there is no way to know if my transitions and swim were better or worse than norms or how they felt.  i know they felt smooth but not fast

if i was slower that my guesses then my bike was faster.

assuming that my swim and trans were a combined 30 sec slower than planned, and knowing my run was about a minute slow, that means that the bike was a full 7.5 minutes slower than it should have been.

*people with splits would include the 25m run - i did not - i lumped it with T1 becasue it is easier to work my guestimate
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed