Other Resources My Cup of Joe » homeowners insurance claim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-23 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: homeowners insurance claim
My back patio roof flew off the house in a wind storm The patio roof has to be replaced along with some family room dry wall, carpet, one set of blinds, etc secondary to water damage. I have never filed a claim before this incident, state farm is really pushing their preferred provid. program in which they direct bill and handle everything and also give a 5 year warranty. I am torn between doing that or getting the lump sum and having it done myself. Has anyone been there done that and have any suggestions?

Elizabeth

2009-04-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2106597

User image

Subject: RE: homeowners insurance claim

I'm not famaliar with State Farm's program, but from what you've said it sounds like they act as the General Contractor and arrange and coordiante all of the repairs for you.

If you have never worked with contractors before that might not be a bad idea going with the State Farm plan.

You might get a General Contractor to give come out and give you an estimate, in this economy you should be able to get out out for a quote with no cost/obligation and he would probably give you some things to consider.

Another option that I don't recommend would be acting as the Genreal Contractor yourself coordinating all of the sub contractors and arranging them to work for you indivudially,,,,,, again, I don't recommend this option  if construction is not really famaliar to you.

Hope this give ya some food for thought.

Good Luck!!!

2009-04-23 7:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-23 9:26 PM

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: homeowners insurance claim
My Co does something similar for Auto claims but not for HO. It allows the Insurance Co to deal with known costs as these contractors work under pre-approved rates, etc. and you don't have to wait for an adjustor to come out, etc. to get the work done/approved.

I don't know exactly how State Farm works but I'd be surprised if they paid you directly. I'd think they'd still pay the contractors you ended up using instead.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » homeowners insurance claim Rss Feed