General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't know if I'm doing it right....(HIM Training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-25 2:49 PM

Master
Subject: I don't know if I'm doing it right....(HIM Training)
So here are my ramblings. It's a little bit of thinking aloud so hope you'll give me a few minutes I could really use the advice and am grateful for every response

I am training for my first HIM in July of this year. I am following the BT 20-week beginner plan. Since I had a 2 extra weeks at the beginning I added 2 extra prep weeks. So in that way, it's a 22 week program ahead of the HIM in July. Currently I am in week 11 (counting up) with 11 weeks left to go. About 50% of the way through. I have improved leaps and bounds in all 3 sports and have been enjoying my time (well most of it ). That's the general background of what's going on.

If I'm being honest, I'm feeling fatigued. Even being fatigued, I still feel like I'm not doing enough. I see some of the numbers others are putting up (who are also training for HIM's) and I feel I am coming up short. Most weeks are about 7ish hours and getting up to 10 hours. That's what the plan calls for, I just don't know. I also notice in a few threads many say they just don't take scheduled days off. I've pretty much stopped taking them (in a scheduled fashion) and am planning not to have any days that feature less than 30 mins of work.

Next, I seem to keep going to hard. At the start, it was easier to go hard all the time because every effort was sort of a PR (well not exactly, but sort of). How do you guys feel about intensity of training very time. Is it better to put in more tempered workouts for longer time versus putting in a little less time at a higher intensity?

Next, I seem to blow up every other long run. Sometimes just due to being tired. Today I was tired and it was 86 degrees out (haven't seen that since last year!). Just a bit frustrating

Anyone have any advice or thoughts to share?

2009-04-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2109973

User image

Regular
Augusta, Ga
Subject: RE: I don't know if I'm doing it right....(HIM Training)

One of the hardest things to do is to trust the plan when you are first starting.  I will give you a little of my background.  November 2007 I went to Florida and signed up for my first Ironman.  Prior to that I had not done any triathlons.  I did do 5 Half Marathons before that but no biking and no swimming.  In preparation for the big day I also signed up for my first sprint distance and HIM.  I started the BT 20 week plan.  Just like you I went out feeling strong and really did not know where my effort should be.  I also began to feel fatigued and the workouts started to seem like I was no gaining as much as I should.  I still followed the plan even taking the days off.  I felt like I wasn't going to be ready as the day approached for the HIM.  I did the HIM under my goal time and felt great doing it.  I took a little time off and started the 20 week Intermediate plan for IMFL.  I followed the plan and finished way under my goal time. 

From all of that take away this trust the plan.  When you first start you do not know what to expect and looking at what others are doing is not good for you in that you may not know what their level is.  The 20 week plan works.  Now if you start changing it you may end up doing to much and get injured in the process which will set you back which is never good.  One of the most important things about the plan is the rest.  Your body needs it in order to recover from the workouts and then build. So that you can go farther and faster.  If you start skipping them you can not expect to build and recover as well.  You also do not need to make every workout a PR. This is a long process and you will go through ups and downs through the whole thing.  Have fun and be safe but mostly trust the plan it works.

Just my 2 cents.   

Edited by FlyingTiger 2009-04-25 4:06 PM
2009-04-25 9:32 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I am pretty much in the same boat as you are with 8 weeks left before my HIM using the BT 20 week plan. I think it is critical to take the recovery days as well as follow the reduced workouts during recovery weeks. You will not improve at as rapid a rate if you do not give your muscles adequate time to rebuild. I really look forward to my rest days because I feel I earn them. I work very hard and stay very focused during all my workouts. After I rest day I feel invigorated and anxious to attack the next phase of my training.

I've had thoughts about what I'm doing just not being enough but this is a long term process and improvement will come over time if you are smart about your training. It is also important to follow the RPE's for your workout.
2009-04-26 5:41 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
It's hard to say without seeing your training (start recoring your training in your logs, and folks here on BT can make suggestions based on your training).

If you're fatigued, and "blowing up" during training sessions, it sounds like you need some rest/recovery. Don't worry about how much training anyone else is putting in. We're all different, and we all have different levels of experiene and years of "base" training.

My first advice would be to make sure you're doing the workouts as they are described. If a workout says it's supposed to be done in Zone 1 or 2, keep it at that nice, easy pace! That means it's designed to be more of either a recovery or endurance building workout. There is no need to push EVERY workout to your max, and you will definitely fatigue yourself that way!

I'm no expert, but I would say - yes - do some of your longer workouts at lower intensity. Save the intensity for shorter sessions that call for intervals, tempo work, etc. If you're feeling fatigued, there is reall NO BIG DEAL with changing the scheduled workout to something less taxing! These plans are NOT one size fits all, and it is really okay to modify it to suit your needs and level of fitness! A missed or altered workout here or there is not going to make or break your race, as long as you generally stick to the plan, and especially make sure you get in your long rides and runs. Rest and recovery a very important part of your overall training. Make sure you're getting enough of it!
2009-04-27 7:42 AM

Master
Thanks for all the responses. A lot of good information. I think I was really tired when I posted because after a good nights rest I felt a lot less fatigued. I had my first frigid OWS yesterday (no wetsuit), water was in the low 50's which is nuts. I just had to try it

Today is bike and run, I'm feeling rejuvinated, time to kick some butt!

Thanks again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I don't know if I'm doing it right....(HIM Training) Rss Feed