General Discussion Race Reports! » Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Herndon, Virginia
United States
Worldgate Sport & Health
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 4s
Overall Rank = 5/57
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Smoothie at 4am, nothing more.
Event warmup:

Hopped in the pool around 5:30am to get some warm up. Race is so short it didn't really matter.
Swim
  • 03m 35s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

4th off, swim was fine, estimated time was 3:45, came in at 3:35 so I was pretty happy with that. Never really got a chance to catch anyone and didn't have anyone catching my feet either.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I need to try to dry myself off a little better because the tri-top was a nightmare to get on. I hadn't practiced this wet and figured "how hard can it be?"

Practice getting my tri-top on wet.
Bike
  • 48m 53s
  • 17.8 miles
  • 21.85 mile/hr
Comments:

W&OD is always rough to ride on because of the bumps, riding over intersections but it's about as smooth as you're going to get in NoVA. I went out on the bike in 4th place, passed one girl immediately and spent the rest of the race chasing the two guys in front of me, though they had tri bikes so I couldn't exactly get in the tightest aero position. I knew there was two guys ahead of me, but when we hit Ashburn road I only saw the dude in the Javelin jersey coming back passing me. I thought "oh crap, he missed the turn." Just as I round the marker, I heard "SHH******TTTTTTTT" from way down the W&OD. As I was passing people, I was reminding them to turn at Ashburn road because there weren't any volunteers yet. Told the first cop that we passed that nobody was up there.

With about 3 miles to go I got passed by the guy that missed the turn and man was he cursing up a storm. Felt bad for the guy, he still averaged 22.8/mph even with the missed turn. I also passed the guy in the Javelin gear.

With about 1 mile to go, I got passed again by the Javelin guy, and just told him to take it in, I wasn't going to pass again.

Maybe take a little off in the beginning so I can hammer home.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

T2 was good except I ripped the corner of my bib number from my race belt on accident. Took off the bib number and just carried it in my hand.

Try not to rip my race number
Run
  • 13m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of transition, I ran into the Javelin guy, and he goes "I can't get my legs moving, I'm paying for passing you at the end." Can't say my legs felt any better.

I hammered it out, had a good steady fast turn-over and kept my breathing in check. I rounded the cone at the 1 mile mark and my breathing started to get real heavy, my heart rate was easily at LT, but since I only had a mile to go I hung on and pushed hard.

Nothing, fastest pace I've had in a running race. Dropped 6+ minutes off my time from last year including 2+ minutes on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, caught my breath, hung out with my parents. Found out that the guy that missed the turn forgot to come to T2 before the race and had his wife come and drop off his running shoes, but forgot to tell him where they were. Everyone had the same transition bags, so it was literally impossible to find his shoes. He never did find them.

Got to see my wife and my brother complete their first triathlon!

Event comments:

Make sure the race volunteers are at the turn-around :) I knew where it was from last year but the guy in front didn't.

Only thing I would change is that somehow having T1 and T2 in the same spot, but I think logistically that would be next to impossible.

Last updated: 2009-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:35 | 300 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/57
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 300 yard pool snake swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:53 | 17.8 miles | 21.85 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Flat through Herndon, some easy steady climbs on the W&OD. Averaging around 24 on the way out but lost some steam on the way back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:37 | 02 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon

2009-04-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2112167

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon
Good race, now I am trying to remember what you looked like, I was there at the end also, sitting with my wife and a friend, she was 2nd in AG, I was 3rd in the 35-39. 
2009-04-27 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2112167

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon
Great looking race!!!  Can't believe there was nobody at the turnaround (maybe you guys got there too fast---no excuse).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed