General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Spoke and Frustrated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-27 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Subject: Broken Spoke and Frustrated
Okay, so now I finally decide to up my distance and do my first Oly in three weeks (Memphis in May Tri) only my second tri overall. 

I'm putting the bike in the truck for an after work ride today and notice I have a broken spoke on the rear wheel (must've broken it on my longest ride yet of 27 miles yesterday).  I call the LBS and they tell me probably can't fix it until next Wednesday.  Is this something I can fix myself?  I am fairly handy, but I haven't really ever done any bike maintenance. Will I have to also get the wheel trued or can I do this myself also?

Any help or suggestions other than take the wheel in and hope for the best?

2009-04-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2113851

Expert
Subject: RE: Broken Spoke and Frustrated
Thats happened to me before, pull the spoke out untill you have a few days off when you don't mind them taking a bit longer to fix it.

The wheel is kinda wonky but it worked all right for me.

I have no idea how to fix it yourself but I'm sure it wouldn't be rocket science, a google search may show you how tro fix it?
2009-04-27 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2113884

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
supa-powa - 2009-04-27 3:23 PM Thats happened to me before, pull the spoke out untill you have a few days off when you don't mind them taking a bit longer to fix it. The wheel is kinda wonky but it worked all right for me. I have no idea how to fix it yourself but I'm sure it wouldn't be rocket science, a google search may show you how tro fix it?

I personally wouldn't recommend riding on a wheel missing a spoke, especially if it is one of the more competition oriented wheels that have 28 or fewer spokes to start with. Also, riding missing a spoke is asking for others to fail or to cause the wheel to be out of true.

Also, have the bike store replace the spoke. Spokes require a certain tension, and if you have a broken spoke, it's a sure bet that the other spokes are probably out of the correct tension, and/or the wheel may need to be trued. Wheelbuilding and repair is definitely not something for a novice, especially a few weeks out from a tri.

You may be able to get a loaner set of wheels while yours is being fixed, talk to the LBS about it.

John
2009-04-27 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Your LBS can't fix a busted spoke until next week??!! (interpreted next Weds for week of 5/3) That's a fairly quick repair to do as-is, and some additional time to double-check tensioning on other spokes. Are they really that busy? Is there another LBS you can call on in your area? I agree w/ others that it's not advised to remove the spoke and ride on it for extended periods. I've busted spokes on rides in past and jerry-rigged spoke to continue riding, but JUST so I could get back to the vehicle.

Assuming you can score a compatible replacement spoke, they're pretty straighforward to replace. Here's just one website w/ instructions.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-a-bicycle3.htm

The tricky part is if your wheel needs trueing or spoke tensioning done. You'll need a spoke wrench for that (about 10 bucks or so at LBS). Make sure you get the right size based on your spoke. LBS should be able to help you out. Otherwise, they usually sell three-sided wrenches that have the three most common spoke sizes. There are instructions online to guide you through trueing. However, be careful, as even the smallest adjustments to spoke tensioning can have a dramatic affect on the wheel.

Good luck in your repair!

Edited by cooutdoors 2009-04-27 6:20 PM
2009-04-27 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Spokes differ in length. So, you need to know exactly how long of a spoke you need. Also, is it on the drive or non-drive side of the wheel? If on the drive side, you need to pull the cassette off to get the elbow out (assuming we're talking about standard 32hole 3-cross lacing).

This is a job of moderate to difficult complexity when done correctly. Get it to a shop and let them do it. Spoke tension needs to be equally distributed around the wheel. The drive side is under higher tension than the non-drive side. You need to stress relieve the wheel to keep from winding the spokes like spaghetti. Nipples need to be replaced and again, have a length parameter to get right. You true across the whole wheel and not just tighten the replacement spoke. You migt ruin the dish of the wheel.

See where I'm going: It's complicated. It can be done, but it's not for amateurs.

Once that wheel breaks a second spoke, you should probably have the entire wheel rebuilt. Spokes act as shock absorbers in that they spring and release as they're tensioned and un-tensioned when they bear weight and impact. The loads are distributed, but they are like a spring nonetheless. If they're failing, this means they've been stretched too many times (like a spoon bend getting soft after repeated flexes) and are failing.

If time is critical and money isn't, get a new set of wheels and then re-lace these as trainers. Or, find a shop who can spend the 20 minutes and fix your wheel for the $15-$20 it should cost.

Edited by pitt83 2009-04-27 6:07 PM
2009-04-27 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I definitely wouldn't ride with a broken spoke--I broke one a couple of years ago and ruined the wheel--I think the rim bent on the same bump that snapped the spoke, but if it hadn't I'm guessing it would have failed soon after.

If it were me and I couldn't find a shop that could do it in less than a week, I'd go ahead and replace the spoke myself, try to get it about the same tension as the other spokes by feel, and then get it into a shop soon to check true and tension.  If you replace it yourself, take care to lace it in the same way the original was if you can.

If you don't want to try it yourself, you might also ask the shop if they could give you a loaner wheel to use while they've got yours--they might have something usable lying around.

2009-04-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2113977

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Broke a spoke somewhere around mile 5 of an 18 mile tri bike course and rode it the rest of the way.  No fun...was clearly not safe...wouldn't recommend it (but was better than walking what would have been 6 miles to T2).  Ended up getting a new wheel.  Do still have the old one...could probably relace it someday, but--as another poster already said is a possibility--I ended up breaking a second spoke riding it in and the wheel just wasn't worth trying to have rebuilt in a hurry.
2009-04-28 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
All is well now.  I found a different LBS that completed the repair today (same day turnaround). Back in the saddle again. I probably could have replaced the spoke, but would have had no clue on truing the wheel. Thanks for all of your help.
2009-04-28 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Glad it all worked out. Happy riding!
2009-04-28 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
chrisbowers - 2009-04-27 4:55 PM

Okay, so now I finally decide to up my distance and do my first Oly in three weeks (Memphis in May Tri) only my second tri overall. 

I'm putting the bike in the truck for an after work ride today and notice I have a broken spoke on the rear wheel (must've broken it on my longest ride yet of 27 miles yesterday).  I call the LBS and they tell me probably can't fix it until next Wednesday.  Is this something I can fix myself?  I am fairly handy, but I haven't really ever done any bike maintenance. Will I have to also get the wheel trued or can I do this myself also?

Any help or suggestions other than take the wheel in and hope for the best?

Bikes plus? I usually get quicker service out of them. The peddler-not so much.
2009-04-28 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Actually I usually go to Bikes Plus and they were the ones that said 10 days. Peddler was the one who fixed it same day!

2009-04-28 4:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Just had to share my 'broken spoke story' from my race report from my fist IM.

I was gonna go ahead and head on up to the swim start area when I had this ‘feeling’ that I needed to go check my bike again.  The previous day I rode my bike down a steep hill by the hotel and my rear brake squealed - no big deal as I figured it had some oil on the rim from my last cleaning.  But when I rode it to the transition area I went down the hill again and it didn’t squeal and I was riding with one hand as I had my transition bags in the other hand and that brake would not stop my bike.  This struck me as odd because, while I usually apply both brakes simultaneously, either brake will stop the bike by itself.  So I wanted to check it out and see if maybe my brake pad was bad – even though I had very recently put new pads on the bike.  I went back to my bike and the brakes looked fine.  I spun the wheel and it went ½ turn and stopped!  It was hitting the frame!  Oh no!  It was out of round.  This was NOT good.  I did not want to try to bike 112 miles with a tire rubbing.  That would be like riding with the brakes on.  I took my bike off the rack and then I saw my two internet buddies, Aaron and Andrew and showed them my wheel.  They told me to take it to the bike tech guys and they could true it up.  When I got the bike tech area no one was there.  I asked someone where they were and they said “they are late….they are supposed to be here.”  They showed up about 10 minutes later and one of the techs started adjusting my spokes to true up the wheel and he found a broken spoke!  My heart raced.  Could they fix it?  No, evidently there was not enough time.  But they had spare wheels.  I have a 12-27 cassette on my rear wheel instead of the typical 12-23 on most triathlon bikes.   The bigger cassette gives me 17% more climbing power and I was gonna need this on the bike.  The tech said they would put my cassette on the loaner wheel.  I watched in horror as he changed the cassette in the grass in very poor lighting!  The new wheel on my bike, I racked my bike and headed to the swim start.  My head was still reeling thinking about finding that broken spoke and I supposed that someone must have been praying for me.

So just be thankful you found it NOW and not on race morning.

BTW, I don't know you but if you are a big guy (like I am),  you might want to look at a heavier rear wheel.  I broke a few spokes on my previous tri bike before I had a heavier wheen made up by my LBS.  My new bike came with heavier spoke and I'v not had a problem.  Just something to think about if you are a big guy.

~Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Spoke and Frustrated Rss Feed