Ironhead Race Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 46s
Overall Rank = 52/363
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

usual early AM. Second in a row having shuttled the kids to their tri the day before. I had everything prepacked and mostly loaded in the car this time, which really helped.
Event warmup:

none. just helped my newbies get ready, visited with friends and family members (78 y.o. FIL racing again for 2nd year).
Swim
  • 06m 2s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

fastest swim ever for me. I swam like I've been training. Had a lot of pool to myself for 200. began catching people in final 100 but due to extreme pool congestion, decided just to wait and draft.
What would you do differently?:

just keep on working on getting stronger and faster in the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I put shoes on in transition and ran w/bike. Slipped off pedals a bit while trying to get on and going. Will have to keep working on that.

one of my fastest transitions, ever, too. Will analyze later.
Bike
  • 39m 47s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 20.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, this was a smokin' fast ride. I love my bike! Thanks Honey! I knew the wind was tough, but it was tough on everybody. I felt strong into it and knew it would blow me home. little did I know I'd hit at least 28 on flats. I was going several mph faster than a normal training ride and had to even brake a bit on some corners. I was going so fast they handled differently. What a rush! I knew, though, that I was sacrificing something on the run, but didn't really care. My goal was to be the first bike back to my rack. Lost track of how many people I passed. Got Dang! that was fun!

well, get stronger on the run to accent the bike. Get better at clipping in at the start.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

is there anything sweeter than being not only the first bike back to your rack, than having 2 or 3 other racks still empty as well? I swung my bike around and hooked it on so fast. All that room was great. My kids and some friends were right there, too. slammed on the runners while assuring the 7 y.o. that not wearing socks was OK, grabbed the visor and was gone.

Well, I'd try to remember to get the garmin off the bike and onto my wrist. The sock question threw off my concentration and i went to start the run button and realized it was still back there. Oh well, i can run w/o it.
Run
  • 24m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into it knowing I'd have to listen to my body. No instant pace data, no HR data, just run by feel. I felt good getting started but knew I was going to have to work due to the strong bike. I had a goal, though, of being the first of the 200 series numbers to finish (I was #227). At mile 1, that goal was dashed as a 19 y.o. wearing 214 caught me. we talked for .25 miles or so and then he was gone. I kept him in my sights, but knew I could never catch him. As i was on the home stretch (wind at my back), I saw Neal. He's so fast I knew I had to suck it up and move. We exchanged hearty 5s and then it was on. I was a mile out with a spur and a hill to climb. He was 1.4 out. I didn't want to be caught by him. I gained a bit on 214 and we rounded the spur turn pretty close together. I urged him to finish strong and then had to yell to him to head for home instead of another lap. The race volunteers saw his number and thought he was on his first segment. He got turned around and then really took off. (He placed third, wonder how much time that little side junket cost him). I chugged for home up the hill and caught another couple of 100s. Then, in the final sprint, I caught a 38 yo, cause I was in a zone and not leaving anything in the tank. Ironically, and probably due to the bike, I was slower on this run than in the previous two years at this tri.

take the garmin. Train for the run by doing more sprint/speed work. Maybe tie Neal's laces together to keep him in T2 longer.
Post race
Warm down:

the usual. sweaty hugs for the kids and wife. some banana, orange and bagel, gatorade, water, wondering how I'd done w/o instant info. cheered friends into finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

perhaps tiredness from a long weekend. Training for the whole package. more bricks.

Event comments:

The one water stop was undermanned. They had a lot more volunteers last 2 years.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:02 | 300 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 180/363
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: serpentine pool swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:47 | 13.8 miles | 20.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 22/363
I've got to set my HR monitor alarm a bit higher for the bike. I can ride at a higher HR than I run. damn thing was beeping at me a lot.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This is essentially my home course. I know it well and like it despite the rough road. It was super windy from the south, which meant a tailwind to finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:51 | 03.11 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 88/363
Performance: Average
didn't have garmin, so don't know HR
Course: strange loop with out and back spurs. Kinda quirky. I like it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes