United States
Strictly Running
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I wouldn't expect this to be my normal pre-race routine. So now that my disclaimer is done... I worked the night before (12 hour night shift) then changed into my running clothes, and followed a guy that was also running that I work with to the location. It was at his church, and part of a big weekend fundraiser for a family with a child that has cancer. So I got my race number, and someone was nice enough to let me in the church to use the rest room. It seems that churchy people are rather accomodating.
Event warmup:

I just did some easy jogging around the parking lot and grassy area where the people that looked like real runners were also warming up. I got around half a mile in, then did some more stretching, and then just kept moving for the last 10 minutes or so before the race was set to start.
Run
  • 32m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out just in front of the walking group, as I'd never raced before. Most of the people took off fast, as it was down hill. So I just let them go, and kept to my pace. By the time we were half way up the first long hill, I had passed maybe a dozen people, and none of them passed me back (and if they did, it was only for a minute or two). After about 3/4 of a mile, I took a 100 yard walk break or so, on a flat leading up to another longer hill. I got passed by a few people, but when I started running again just before the hill, I was well rested and passed them all back before the hill finished. Walking was forced again at one point as a car disregarded the cop that was telling him to wait for some of us to cross the road, but it was only for a few seconds, so not too bad.

The next bit was mostly flat, and while I didn't pass more than 2 people, my pace was good, and I felt pretty good. I also started gaining on my co-worker, who was about 100-150 yards in front of me. I caught him right before another hill, when he stopped to walk. I took another 40 yards to walk with him, and give him a bit of a pep talk. I thought it was the least I could do, since I had called him a sissy until he agreed to run with me. (He's also been dieting and working out, but never had run before. And being 80 lbs less than me, I knew it would be a good challenge to keep up with him) So we ran together for the last 3/4 mile until near the finish.

There was a steep hill about 150 yards before the finish, and as we got to the top of the hill, he said he needed to walk for a few seconds. I was about ready to tell him to HTFU and keep running, but then I thought it would be much more fun to beat him and taunt him at work. So I heard myself tell him "Do what you've got to do" and I pushed it harder for the last bit, and finished, while not at a sprint, with pretty much all I had left.
What would you do differently?:

Hmm, I think the biggest thing was being tired from only having 90 minutes of sleep in the previous 25.5 hours before the race start. I would also liked to have brought a small water bottle with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Right after the race, I went to the refreshment area, and had a banana and grabbed a couple of bottles of water. Then I chatted with my co-worker and his wife, who had also run, and beaten the two of us by about 90 seconds. But she teaches aerobics, so I don't think that's too bad, even if she's not a runner. After the snack and water, I did a light jog around the parking lot again, and then stretched, drove home, took a shower and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being fat and out of shape. I know I'm faster than I was at 297, but at 261 (the evening before I went to work) I'm still fat and slow and out of shape.

Event comments:

I didn't stick around for any post race stuff, but they had a handfull of things to do at least. I'll definately do this race again next year if they do it, and the charity is good.

Last updated: 2009-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:52 | 03.11 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started out downhill for the first little bit, maybe just under 1/4 mile. After that, it was mostly uphill for the next 1.5 miles. Nothing major, just a gradual incline. So it would be uphill for a few hundred yards, then flat for 50 yards or so, then back uphill. At around the half way point, it was flat for about the next mile, then some quick up and downhill spots to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-02 8:10 PM

User image

On your right
Subject: Standing Springs Spring Fling

2009-05-03 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2126026

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: Standing Springs Spring Fling
Great job! (Especially with the lack of sleep.)

Congratulations Glitter Graphics

2009-05-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2126295

User image

On your right
Well I almost always go to the gym Sat morning, on no sleep.  So the workout isn't out of the ordinary for me.  However race pace is way out of the ordinary.  If I had that time after a full night's sleep, I'd be wicked happy still. 

2009-05-04 2:07 AM
in reply to: #2126026

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Hope you slept great after all that! Great job! My friend came up to me at my race and said she would hang with me, I said girl this is your race too, get going, plus she kept talking to me and I needed all the energy I had to finish.  Good job finishing strong!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Standing Springs Spring Fling Rss Feed