General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crampers......A questions for the Hard Core Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-04 10:27 AM

User image

Subject: Crampers......A questions for the Hard Core
I'm an active Triathlete and ultramarathoner and runner.  Im constantly having issues of cramping (legs).  All in my abductors, hammy's and quads.  I can't seem to take enough electrolytes, salt tabs, or anything.   I've cramped during long bouts of excerise my whole life, but man, it's tough on my OLY's, Half-Ionmans and my Ultras.  Ive gotta 100 Ultra this year and if I can't solve this....I'm just gonna have to x it off my list and not do it.

What are some of the things you all are doing?
What kind of questions should I ask a doctor and what if any kind of dr should I go see?

Im lacking something and I've played with all the Gu, Accerlate, Gator drinks and you name it.  Nothing works.

Thanks.........

2009-05-04 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2128349

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Crampers......A questions for the Hard Core
I had been plagued by cramps on the outside of my shins/calves. What really helped me was the thing called 'the stick' and the hot tub at the pool.

I would do a nice swim, then get in the hot tub, let my legs which would be nice and loose from the swim, get really loose from the water heat....then I'd roll the H*** out of them. I would roll really deep, and yup, often it was painful. I would take a lot of time to be thorough. People stared at me like I was a weirdo, but it helped in a big way.

2009-05-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2128349

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Crampers......A questions for the Hard Core

1-do a sweat test if you have not to find out how much you are sweating for both running and cycling

2-talk to your Dr. Preferably an internist....even better would be a sports trained internist but they are few and far between.  Get your sweat tested for sodium content.  High normal is 80 mMol/liter.  

With that data you can figure out exactly what you are losing and replace both fluids and electrolytes appropriately. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crampers......A questions for the Hard Core Rss Feed