General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Non Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-16 9:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Subject: Non Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues
Hey, I've never really owned a swimsuit for serious swiming. Looking at pictures of some of you veterans, a racer back of some kind is a must. I notice some people wear two peices which perhaps makes for easier . . uh. . gatorade processing? Any thoughts, ideas, experiences?

Annie - looking to loose her U-back

2004-03-16 10:44 PM
in reply to: #12748

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Non Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues

For swimming (training) I use a regular Speedo one-piece if I'm going early a.m., and a two-piece racing suit if I go at noon (just for the tanning.  One of the other ladies on my swim team pointed out the better sun, even though I use sunscreen)  For tri's it's a two-piece tri suit, either the tri-shorts or briefs, and it is definitely for the "gatorade processing!!"

Sharon

2004-03-16 11:07 PM
in reply to: #12765

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Well, I haven't done a tri yet, so I can't really say -but the two-piece would seem to make sense.

For serious swimming, though, I can definitely say that you should lose the U-back. I have the world's most non-existent shoulders, and I just got aggravated trying to make sure that the straps of a U-back were staying put. (I can't be responsible for the psychiatric damage to innocent bystanders if my suit slips off! ) With a circle-back or a racer back, there are no such worries. I have three suits: 2 Speedos and one Land's End suit. I like them all just fine.

If you swim in a pool, as opposed to open water, you will soon discover that chlorine eats spandex. And in particular, it eats the spandex along the back seam of the bathing suit, so you end up with a see-through stripe right ...ummm.... where it's least attractive. WHY can't this happen along a side seam, is a question for the sages. The Lands End suit I have is chlorine-resistant. Tyr makes some good ones, too. If you buy one of these, though, buy the next size larger. They replace the spandex with something that isn't all-way stretch and it makes the suit MUCH tighter.

And that's all I know about swim suits!

Andrea
2004-03-17 1:03 AM

Coeur d'Alene, ID
I'm not a swimmer--I will be soon though--but my sister is and she uses two suits when one goes see-through. I guess they seldom see through in the same place. And I just picked up a suit at Sierra Trading Post for pretty cheap. I think they are last year's models. ;-)
2004-03-17 1:22 AM

Champion
Andrea, my wife will also second the suits from Land's End. It's been her favorite swim suit supplier for several years. I only interject here because of her opinion...I know little about women's swim suit issues. As for the men's, I'll stick with the regular speedo "banana wrappers", since I was accustomed to those from years of competitive swimming.
2004-03-17 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Yup, I'd lose the U-back--but I'm with Sharon (and others), I use a regular key-hole back (Land's End) swimsuit for regular swim workouts and then tri-shorts and a non-cotton sports bra for any multi sport training (swim/bike, swim/run, swim/bike/run).

And I DEFINITELY don't fint the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit category!

Dana

2004-03-17 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I've had Tyr and Speedo one-piece swimsuits for years and the Tyrs have been wearing better, although I once destroyed one in a single weekend doing lifeguard training. Be sure to wash it with soap and let it dry right away.

This is also a plug for silicone vs. lycra swimcaps. So much more comfortable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Non Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues Rss Feed