General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cadence Article (Rich Strauss) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-12 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: Cadence Article (Rich Strauss)
Alright triathlon fitness gurus, I need some help and advice.

Currently, my comfortable all day cadence is around 105rpm; a cadence of 90 feels plodding. If I want to go fast my comfortable cadence is 108-112; anything lower and I feel like I am pushing the pedals too hard. A fast solo ride can be done at an average speed of 21.5 and I am guessing that a race pace could be .2 or .3 mph faster. I would like to see a 22.5 to 23 mph avg by August although I think this will be tough to accomplish.

Is there a cadence that is too high for an efficient triathlon? Will a cadence of 110 hurt my run or am I better off keeping it high? After my first tri on May 6 should I do more low cadence work to gain strength or simply try to increase my speed at the higher cadence?

2005-04-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #141727

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Cadence Article (Rich Strauss)

Until the gurus reply I'll give you my .02 ( but on this, it may only be worth .01 )

Reading I've done leaves me thinking that the most efficient cadence is more like 90.  I know that's just a guideline, but my first thought was "wow, 105 is really high".  If it is difficult for you to sustain speed at lower cadence, then IMHO, yes, do some strength work at lower cadence.  And why not?  Even if you continue to ride at 105, it's a common strength training technique to do some low rpm high resistance work.  Of course you won't (and you shouldn't) change your cadence due to my opinion, but why not try "plodding" for a bit to see how it is after you get used to it?  Now, I'll be curious to hear from the coaches and gurus too

2005-04-12 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Lance has an extremely high cadence (around 120) that seems to work well for him. Jan Ulrich has a much lower cadence (below 90 if I am correct). Both are strictly cyclists and both are using what works for each of them.

If I were strictly a cyclist I wouldn't even ask the questions, but triathlon is a different animal altogether. I see no problem, and definately a benefit, adding low cadcence drills, but should I try to lower my cadence for better performance in a triathlon?

Alpine87,

Thanks for the reply. Don't sell yourself short. Your $0.02 is as good as anyone's.
2005-04-12 4:07 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
If you can get off the bike and start running, why sweat your cadence? If your legs are good after going all day at 105rpm, and you're able to do your race distance run, then do what's comfortable.

If I understand it correctly, the problem comes in when you're using your explosive strength that doesn't last long, ie, mashing the pedals and feeling your quads burn, because you're tiring yourself out for no good reason, when there is other gearing that will let you save those leg muscles for the run, or the rest of the bike ride. Somebody correct me, of course, if I'm wrong about that. I'm just speaking out of turn because I got my fast road bike and keep falling over.

Good luck in May!
2005-04-12 6:27 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
There have been a number of studies done on this - slower cadences seem to be better in term of accumulating lactic acid. That is one set of studies.

In another set of studies - it has been proven that there is a direct correlation between bike cadence and run cadence. Running close to 90 steps per minute would put you close to 6:00 miles, which is the top end of most AGs (20-45) - so pedaling at 90 RPMS makes sense in my opinion.

If you pedal at 100 or better, I am of the opinion, that you are losing a lot of power. I don't think its possible to generate a great deal of power at that cadence UNLESS you can push a good sized gear - like say a 53x15 or so.

That is my $.02
2005-04-12 7:49 PM
in reply to: #141821

User image

Expert
Minnesota
mikericci - 2005-04-12 6:27 AM

There have been a number of studies done on this - slower cadences seem to be better in term of accumulating lactic acid. That is one set of studies.

In another set of studies - it has been proven that there is a direct correlation between bike cadence and run cadence. Running close to 90 steps per minute would put you close to 6:00 miles, which is the top end of most AGs (20-45) - so pedaling at 90 RPMS makes sense in my opinion.

If you pedal at 100 or better, I am of the opinion, that you are losing a lot of power. I don't think its possible to generate a great deal of power at that cadence UNLESS you can push a good sized gear - like say a 53x15 or so.

That is my $.02

I didn't quite understand the first statement on lactic acid. Am I accumulating less LA at a slower cadence? If I am accumulating less LA, I realize that this is a good thing.

The cycling and running cadence correlation makes sense.

I know that power is THE big thing in cycling now, but, being a hack, I do not have access to that kind of equipment. With this in mind, I am a slave to what those who have done the studies have to say.

As I have said, If I were simply cycling, I'd be happy with 105-110. It appears that I am going to have to work on slowing my cadence down and building more muscle.

Generally, when I am pedaling for speed, I am in the big ring and somewhere near the middle cog.

Thanks Mike for your reply.

I sure would appreciate more insight.

2005-04-12 9:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Watts ( the measure for power most often used in cycling) is defined as work/time. So if a cyclist is traveling at 20 mph with a cadence of 90, they are producing the same power(watts) as a cyclist that is traveling at 20 mph with a cadence of 110.

Think of it like this. Lifter 1 bench presses 1000 lbs. at an RPM of 1(1 lift of 1000 lbs. in one minute), and Lifter 2 does it at an RPM of 10(10 lifts of 100 lbs. each over one minute). Same work done.

That doesn't mean that a 110 cadence is better than a 90, it depends on the rider. Gordon Bryn seems to reccomend a higher cadence in 'Going Long'. He advises trying to ride in the upper portion of your comfortable zone early in the season, to try and push your comfort zone up.

Also I'm not sure that a 90 cadence on the bike translates to a 90 cadence on the run. I'd say it's more like a 100 on the bike makes for a smooth transition to 90 on the run. Think I read that somewhere, but I can't find it so I may just be talkin out'a my back side.

So I would say find your comfortable bike cadence, ride at the upper end of that zone, and try shifting up and keeping your cadence up and see what the bigger gear does to your HR. Experiment to find your most efficient cadence and gearing. Cause that's what it's really all about. If I ride at 20 mph at 90 rpm with a HR of 140, and I ride at 20 mph at 110 rpm with a HR of 145, then 90 rpm is the way to go, more effiecient.

One more thing, Lower cadence bigger gear training can increase leg strength, but can also put stress on the knees. And High cadence spinning is good for developing pedaling efficiency(smooth circular pedaling with a more even power output all the way around the stroke). It's tough to just push down at 110 RPMs, you bounce all over the place. So I think there is a place for mixing it up in your training.

Just some random thoughts.

That said, I don't think your cadence is too high. You are riding fast and feel comfortable doing it. If you are worried about it try a couple of transition runs after your long ride (15-30 minutes). Try one with your normal bike cadence and speed, and then the next week try one with a 95-100 cadence at the same speed. See what that does to your HR on the bike and how you feel transitioning to the run.

2005-04-12 10:01 PM
in reply to: #141847

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Sorry about that, I rushed the reply. Yes, studies have shown that riding a lower cadence will produce less lactate. There were not a lot of subjects in the study so I am not sure how accurate it was although this is now taken as fact - although most of us are taught that high cadence pedaling is better - and this may b/c of the Lance Effect.

I know that Rick Niles (long time tri coach out of CA) writes in his book that 90 pedaling cadence does correlate to 90 rpms on the run too. Rick is a very good approach and I trust his opinion and know that his information most likely came from a study.

Try grinding out 80-85 RPMS on the bike sometime and see for yourself what run cadence you fall into when you get off the bike.

As far as power, you don't need a power meter to know you are pushing a lot of watts - just try doing a set of 2-4x10 minutes sometime at 65-75 RPMS - you'll see what I am talking about. You will feel the power, trust me. :-)

Lastly - there is a good article on www.slowtwitch.com about Bjorn's cadence and tinkering with it - more food for thought.
2005-04-12 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Thanks DharmaBum.

I didn't have the formula for power on hand, but I figured that it took the same power to reach a certain speed whether the cadence was high or low. Pushing the pedals harder, but slower would seem to me to recruit a higher percentage of fast twitch fibers than pushing the pedals softer, but faster.

I have played with things a bit. I do notice that when I push a harder gear at a lower cadence, my HR goes up. When I switch back and spin faster my HR drops back down.

My pedal stroke, even at 116 rpm is quite smooth -- I start to fall apart if I get any higher though. Climbing muddy hills on a MTB tends to teach a smooth stroke. I tend to rock in the saddle at a lower cadence, but I could probably cure this with practice.

I do feel pretty good transitioning to the run. In fact the transition to the run feels great, all things considered.

Keep up the insight folks; this is very informative for me.
2005-04-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: #141890

User image

Boulder, Colorado
B-One

I think you have it backwards - pedaling fast recruits fast twitch and pedaling slow increased strength - think of it like this:
I run 400m in 60 seconds or I can run 400m in 3:00 - which one will recruit fast twitch?

Mixing gearing is essential to become a good all around cyclist. If you are already good at spinning at a fast cadence your goal should be to become efficient at a slower cadence. Mt bikers typically have the best efficiency overall - although they do tend to lack power.

Training a wide range of cadences is the way to go in my opinion.

2005-04-12 10:22 PM
in reply to: #141889

User image

Expert
Minnesota
mikericci - 2005-04-12 10:01 AM

Sorry about that, I rushed the reply. Yes, studies have shown that riding a lower cadence will produce less lactate. There were not a lot of subjects in the study so I am not sure how accurate it was although this is now taken as fact - although most of us are taught that high cadence pedaling is better - and this may b/c of the Lance Effect.

I know that Rick Niles (long time tri coach out of CA) writes in his book that 90 pedaling cadence does correlate to 90 rpms on the run too. Rick is a very good approach and I trust his opinion and know that his information most likely came from a study.

Try grinding out 80-85 RPMS on the bike sometime and see for yourself what run cadence you fall into when you get off the bike.

As far as power, you don't need a power meter to know you are pushing a lot of watts - just try doing a set of 2-4x10 minutes sometime at 65-75 RPMS - you'll see what I am talking about. You will feel the power, trust me. :-)

Lastly - there is a good article on www.slowtwitch.com about Bjorn's cadence and tinkering with it - more food for thought.

It seems counterintuitive to me that pushing harder would produce less lactic acid, but I am not in much of a position to dispute the claim. As is usually the case, these threads bring up even more questions and cause me to want even more info. I'll have to do some more research on the lactic acid and cadence link. If you have a citation it would make my task easier.

Grinding a set like you mentioned would cause my legs to spontaneously burst into flames. I think that I would feel like that spider I ripped the legs off of when I was a kid. I really wonder how a run would feel after cycling at 80rpm. You have made me curious and I'll have to give that a try after my first race this year.

Dharma's description of power makes sense, "Watts ( the measure for power most often used in cycling) is defined as work/time. So if a cyclist is traveling at 20 mph with a cadence of 90, they are producing the same power(watts) as a cyclist that is traveling at 20 mph with a cadence of 110." Power, in the sense that I learned it, isn't simply how hard you push the pedals, but how hard coupled with how fast.

BTW, I absolutely love your D3 site and have learned a ton from the articles that you have posted.

2005-04-12 10:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

I think Mike and I are not in dissagreement. I think it's more of a semantics issue. Slower RPM bigger gear will build leg strength(power?). Different RPM, different gear, same speed = same Watts(Power). Back to my weight lifting example, a lifter that could do 1 rep of 1000 lbs could be much stronger, and could probably do 10 reps of 100 lbs, but the second lifter may not be able to lift 1000 lbs in one rep. So incorporating a lower cadence with bigger gear would help build leg strength(power), which will improve your effieciency at any cadence.

I think that's what's being said.

2005-04-12 11:14 PM
in reply to: #141898

User image

Boulder, Colorado
From what I remember on the study, you are recruiting less muscle fiber since you are pedaling slower and i think i remember that being the reason less LA was being produced. I am not certain, but i think that was the case.

Dharma is exactly right about power - no question. Power is work/time.

As far as trying it out - pedal 85RPMS for 30 minutes and run 2 miles on a track at 'x' HR. A fw days later pedal 100 RPMs for 30 minutes and run 2 miles at the same HRs to see what the difference is. I think Carmichael actually has a cadence test to see which cadence you are most efficient at.

PS - thanks on the site, much appreciated.
2005-04-12 11:16 PM
in reply to: #141902

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Exactly, no disagreement at all. Slower RPMS will create power. And your lifting example is right on too. We all have a different way of reaching the certain MPH, but power is power not matter how you look at it.
2005-04-13 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

All I can relate to this thread is my experience.  I have found when doing long bricks (40+ miles on the bike and transitioning to a run) that the legs seem fresher when I keep the bike cadence down to 90.  Typically, my cadence is between 90-105 and I'm shifting based upon terrain and wind changes.  The average is usually right around 97.  When I keep it down around 91-92, though, it does a few things:

First, it helps me to control the speed.  I will typically keep a 20mph pace on the bike, but when doing a brick, I need to slow down to 18.5 or 19 to save something in the legs.  Slowing down the cadence does a nice job of helping to throttle the speed.

Secondly, I think I agree with the lactic acid comments.  My legs are much less stiff thanks to the slower cadence, the "jelly leg" effect is less severe when beginnning the run.  I've experienced this a few times this spring.   On one run, after a very high cadence bike ride, I bonked half way through.  Other factors might have been involved, but I believe my overall exertion increases when trying to spin the pedals as a higher RPM.

Finally, the slower cadence helps keep the HR down in the lower zones.  I have long legs and can't imagine how hard my heart has to work to get the blood down to my toes and back up again.  I find it very easy to keep the HR down when the cadence is around 90.  At higher RPMs, the fluctuations are greater when faced with wind or elevation changs.

By the way, I'd love to boast a 23mph average speed on the bike.  I hope you get there someday.

2005-04-13 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi, Sorry to wander into the conversation kind of late. Next time, please ping my email address, as I might not come in here every day.

A few notes:

Force is how hard you are pushing on the pedals, as measured by torque on a powermeter. Power is the product of how hard you press on the pedals x rpms (cadence) and is measured as watts. The result of watts to the rear wheel is speed, which is affected by rider weight, aerodynamics, tire pressure, etc. More watts = more speed, keeping weight and aerodynamics constant. All of this is a fancy way of saying that you can ride at the same watts/speed at very different cadences (60rpm or 110rpm). So the question then is what is the right cadence for me?

Within this cadence question are two additional questions:

1. How should I manipulate cadence for training purposes? What cadence will make me "stronger" or increase the watts/speed I output on the bike?
  2. What cadence should I race at, given the requirement to run off the bike.

Racing
Probably should have put this as #1 above, as how you race should dictate how you train. It's better to think of exercise in terms of muscle recruitment, not just aerobic/anaerobic/lactate threshold, etc. As you ride at 15mph your body is using primarily slowtwitch fibers to accomplish this. Your fast twitch fibers are just hanging out. As you increase the speed to 16, 17, 18, etc Your muscles say "hey, we need some help down here. Somebody wake up the fast twitch fibers so we can put them to work." These fast twitch fibers produce lactic acid. As more FT fibers are recruited, more lactic acid is produced. However low cadence cycling accelerates this fast twitch recruitment. I know it may seem counterintuitive, but low cadence = higher force = your body recruits more fast twitch fibers. So two cyclists, same wattage, 60 and 95rpm, Mr. 60 will be recruiting a higher pecentage of fast twitch fibers. And per my article, these fibers tire easily, burn glycogen, and produce more lactic acid than their cousins. So my argument is that high cadence shifts to the load to the fibers that are made to go all day, slow twitch fibers, and saves the fast twitch fibers to be recruited later in the race when you really need them. For shorter races, you need these FT fibers to continue to run fast. For longer races you need every available fiber to just keep going or to not slow down.

This is a muscle fiber recruitment argument. The other is a running cadence argument. Most people agree that ideal running cadence is 88-93+ rpm. It makes sense that riding at 88-93+ rpm for hours would make it easier to transition to running at that same cadence.

Training
I'm going to assume that I"ve sold you on racing at 88-93+rpm with arguments above. So what is the most effective training protocol? After years of doing this and trying all kinds of stuff, I've learned that specificity is king. If you want to get better at a thing, do that thing. If you want to go faster/more watts on your tri bike, in aero, at 88-93rpm, then ride fast/more watts on your tri bike, in the aero at 88-93rpm. Think of all the different coordinated movements that have to happen to pedal a bike fast: muscle A contracts at the exact time that muscle B relaxes. Your core adjusts to help transfer power. Your upper body learns to relax. You strengthen your neck and shoulder muscles so you can ride in the aero for hours at a time. Your lower back and midsection adapts to riding bent over AND tossing out big watts AND processing fluids AND processing calories. Cadence, or how frequent this all happens, is a huge factor and it makes sense that we would train to go faster at the cadence we will use in the race. Now, there is some evidence that some of the benefits of training at lower cadence are transfered to higher cadence, but I say why waste time? Why not push big watts at race cadence and reap ALL the benefits. So me and my peeps do interval session at or near LT heart rate/watts, on the tri bike, in the aero, at race cadence.

"Cadence Comfort"
My term. We do train some low cadence stuff:

1. So we can handle when it does happen or we can't avoid it in a race: steep hill, you stand in the saddle, you run out gears, etc. Think of this as skill that's nice to have but you only use it when you need to. However, its better to show up with the right gears so you reduce the requirment to use this skill.
  2. To target those fast twitch fibers. This is more of an advanced training technique. At the end of my rides, especially my long rides, I'll gring a huge gear at big watts, hammer out of the saddle at lights, small hills, squeeze every drop out of the lemon, in other words.

Lance vs Jan
This debate has been around almost exactly 7 years, right about the time LA started winning the TDF. Lance used to be a huge masher, very low cadence. Personally, I think he changed his cadence to take advantage of the huge aerobic engine/genetic freak advantage he has. By pedaling at such high cadence he shifts the load from his leg muscles to his aerobic system. In other words, he doesn't press down very hard but he does so VERY quickly and frequently. This aerobic load plays to his strength. Jan has a different style that plays to his strength. What's right for JU and LA may not be right for you. And don't forget that neither of these guys have to run off the bike afterwards. Personally, when I watch Lance TT I'm thinking "Dude, shift to a higher gear!" He spins at 115+, crazy high.

Athletes riding 100+
I've seen alot of athletes move up on the cycling ability scale. Beginner cyclists first need to learn that they have a variety of gears to work with. We've all seen inexperienced cyclists grinding a huge gear simply because they don't know they can shift around the cogs to find one that works for them. Once they figure that out, they usually gravitate to higher gears, as it feels "easier" on their leg muscles. They don't have the cycling strength to support lower cadence (83-88rpm) cycling so they gravitate upward in the range, naturally. This was where I was in '00-01 and my most memorable example was spinning at 105rpm in the last 10 miles of IMCali '01. My legs were tired and just naturally gravitated towards higher cadence.

As the athlete gets stronger and more experienced, the cadence range begins to shift downwards, 88-93rpm. However, the athlete becomes incomfortable when moved outside of this range, more uncomfortable going below it. If the athlete then does both low and high cadence cycling, this range is expanded and they begin to build that cadence comfort, a skill. They can spin comfortably at 105-110 out of T1 to warm up the legs. Settle into 88-93. Climb a hill at 60-65rpm without getting worked, and then jump right back into 88-93rpm. This is experienced cycling.

Cadence and HR
Yes, in general lower cadence cycling is associated with lower heart rates. Athletes often use low cadence to lower their heart rates or think they are save energy: "I'm going the same speed, lower heart rate, therefore I must be working less." This is a false economy. By going at the same speed you are, by definition, doing the same amount of work/watts. You've merely shifted the load around, from aerobic system to muscular system, you're not saving any energy. Personally, in an Ironman I "may" target slightly lower cadences (83-85) after the first 30' of the bike to accelerate the lowering of my heart rate after the swim so I can free up more resources for eating and drinking. For me, lower heart rate = I can eat/drink more. However, I know I'm still doing the same amount of work. I'm simply manipulating cadence, temporarily, to make a small change in my body. I've found its more effective to soft-pedal and coast whenever possible in this first 30-40 miles.

Wow, that was long. I need to get to work. Cya!

2005-04-13 2:08 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Rich

Thanks for jumping in! That makes it a bit clearer in my opinion.
Talk to you soon.

2005-04-13 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Rich,

Beautiful! I'll remember to get you an e-mail next time I refer to you in a post. Bookmarked, copied, pasted and printed. Thanks!

Mike,

Thanks as well!

Dharma and Motivated,

I appreciate your input.
2005-04-25 2:25 PM

I've read of two sutues that Mike Ricci mentioned reggarding cycling cadence and running cadence. They didn't lead me to any conclusions in regards to changing how the triathletes i work with should train or race with cadence. Everyone has a cadence range they are comfortable with, there is no wrong or right. Most cadence training is done to increase cadence and pedalling effiicency. So, if you have a high cadence, and it's smooth, you're ahead of the game. While cadence for TT's or Triathlons is commonally referenced at 80-90 rpm, again that is "common" not right.
If you're not doing bike strength intervals as a regular piece of your training, It's time to add them. taht will help you produce power and have more comfort with lower RPMs,as well as with climbing. E-mail me directly @ jsiegel@jdssprotcoching and i'll send you an info sheet onhow to compelte them.

Jonathan
2005-04-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: #147751

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Jonathan,

Your spam blocker is not allowing me to e-mail you directly.

David
2005-04-26 8:48 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Mike and Rick, thanks for the valuable info. Awesome Thread!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cadence Article (Rich Strauss) Rss Feed