Canada
10C / 50F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual breakfast of oatmeal and headed down to City Hall. Found a terrific parking spot! When into the building and picked up my race kit and after a bathroom break was ready to go.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 min along the canal to warm up. I felt really good. Nice and loose. The wind was quite strong and cool. Tried to stay out of the wind before the race started.
Run
  • 1h 16m 45s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 41s  min/km
Comments:

I tried to keep track of my pace when I started. I let the others go and tried to keep to my pace. However, I kept noticing that I was speeding up to closer to a 5 km pace and kept trying to back off that. However after the hill at the 4 km I was starting to struggle with a side stitch. This was about the time that I was starting to nurse my gel so it is hard to say whether it was just the pace or the combination of the pace and the gel that was giving me problems.

There was water at the turnaround and I took some. I was getting pretty warm by this point as the course was sheltered from the wind, so I took off the long sleeved layer and tied it around my waist. I felt a lot better. By about the 7km mark, it was getting pretty hard. I was tired from the earlier pacing mistakes and the wind was pretty strong running back in. I was doing the walk run thing and was huffing and puffing pretty badly. I managed to run in for the finish and saw Jane there. She said my form looked good and that she could hear my loud wheezing breathing. ;-)
What would you do differently?:

Dial back the pace for the first 5 km. Run according to my perceived effort rather than looking at my watch too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and then met Jane and walked back to City Hall. By the time I walked back to the car my right knee was stiffening up and I was limping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind on the way back. Pacing on the way out.

Event comments:

I'm still pretty disappointed in this race. Next time I really need to control my pacing better. At least I am able to run a 10k race and I am grateful for that.

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:16:45 | 10 kms | 07m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3