United States
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = /90
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual breakfast of peanut butter on 9-grain bread and a banana at 6 a.m. Got to venue at 7:15. Race started at 8, but with heats (I was in 10 of 12), and assigned rack places, there was no rush.
Event warmup:

Ran up and down a side street. Took the bike out for a brief test. No swim because of the late heat and cool morning temp.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 425 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam very well. I prefer this start to the one in Athens (seeded) because I had to share my lane with only one person, so I always had a clear lane ahead. I was able to get into my stroke and keep it smooth. With fewer people thrashing in the pool, it was also less like swimming inside a washing machine!
What would you do differently?:

Since I can't do flip turns, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had not fixed my shoes at horizontal in the pedals, and as this was my first try at an event to perform this maneuver, I did it badly--i.e., too soon. I should have ridden a while before slipping my feet into the shoes.

I also flubbed the equipment. I had put my race belt, sunglasses, and gu inside my helmet, and my helmet on my bars, but it all spilled out on the ground and I ended up putting things on backwards and upside down....really Keystone Cops!

Place my equipment out on the towel rather than in the helmet. Wait to put my feet in the shoes until well clear of transition zone.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I learned from my last (first) race and hydrated more on the bike. I kept my cadence high, especially in the last mile to help with T2.

Practice intervals so I can go a bit harder during the bike portion.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems other than stiff legs.

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I ran better this time. I stopped once during the first half mile to walk for 30-40 seconds. Then I ran constntly to the 2-mile water break. Had to stop for water as they gave it in plastic cups that spashed in the face and up the nose. Ran the rest of the way to the end, except stopping about 1/4 mile from the end because of cramps in left calf. Finished running.

Work more on bricks more effectively. Be sure and take on GU during bike (I dropped in in T1 and didn't recover it) to help (perhaps) with cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

Really tired after this one because I went harder and it was a longer distance than Athens. I ate a piece of banana and had some Powerade while walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow coming off the bike and long time to recover any semblance of normal speed.

Event comments:

My only complaint was some of the flaggers, but generally the many volunteers were helpful and encouraging.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 425 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/90
Performance: Good
No chip timing so no splits available. My watch chronomoter stopped working mid-swim.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:00:00 | 20 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Good
No splits available.
Wind: Some
Course: Flat to rolling. Some headwind going out, tailwind coming back (out and back course). Very nice course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Performance: Average
No splits available.
Course: Flat to rolling streets in town. Shady. Dodgy marking--just cones in the street and flaggers, some of whom were on the ball, others less so. (Two of my teammates were DQ's as a result of bad directions from a flagger, and they were in the lead at the time.) Signs with clear directions (along with flaggers) would help.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-12 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Subject: TryParis

2005-04-14 6:26 PM
in reply to: #141855

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Subject: RE: TryParis
Good job! So when's your next one?!
2005-04-17 9:52 AM
in reply to: #141855

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Right now I have the next on June 18th, but I am trying to find one in May. It's hard because every weekend seems to have a bike race my husband wants to do, and since he's been loyally supporting me at my last two tris, I feel I need to give something back.
2005-04-22 11:14 PM
in reply to: #143631

Veteran
Keller, TX
Playtri in Wylie is an open water swim on May14 . . .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TryParis Rss Feed