General Discussion Race Reports! » NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 34s
Overall Rank = 57/347
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

Wake-up at 5:15 with a decent breakfast of oatmeal, a banana and an apple. I made sure to wake up early enough that I could really take my time and if something took a litte me longer than expected I'd have time for it. 40 minute drive top Hopkinton then the long walk from parking to the transition area. It was rather daunting this morning as we walked over the path that the last mile of the run takes and with 20+ MPH of wind today it was WHIPPING, lots and lots of wind coming over the lake and I knew the last mile would be a tough, tough finish.
Event warmup:

Unfortunately with all the wind there were a ton of delays, the race didn't get off until after 9am (scheduled to go off at 8am). I got a little jog in, get my left achilles warmed up (it's been giving me big troubles the first mile of every run, I really need to get that squared away), then some stretching and a nice little 200m swim to get some blood flowing...and then we waited, and waited, and waited some more. After a nice warmup I felt like I was going in completely cold...very frustrating.
Swim
  • 04m 29s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very surprising swim, if only because I expected it to be a lot worse. I've read time and again about how brutal these swims can be and I figured this would be tough with it being a very choppy day, a triangle swim (so the turnaround would be a huge cluster), and a very, very short swim (so no one would get any spacing). I actually felt great on the swim, caught a decent draft on the way out to the bouy and kinda coasted in pretty slow and still came in with a solid time.
What would you do differently?:

Don't hit the bouy on the turn around, and keep my pace through the end. Rather than coast in I probably should have continued with my rythym.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Being my first transition I expected some issues. It wasn't terrible but it could have been better. I had no problems with the wetsuit but getting the helmet on, shoes on, and running out of transition was a little slower than I wanted.

Practice, practice, practice. Also, learn how to clip in after the T1 rather than waste time putting the shoes on.
Bike
  • 50m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I got passed 5 times: two guys who were doing relays (and thus were just killing the ride) and three times by guys who had tri bikes (note to self: GET A TRI BIKE FOR NEXT SEASON!!!). I managed to keep pace with three guys who looked like legit competitors so I'm pretty happy with the ride. Lots of wind, tons of cross wind and the big downhill was a trip because it was just a ton of cross wind going 40mph...I feel bad for my buddy who had a rear disk wheel. I'm still pretty new to biking and don't feel fully comfortable yet so there were two issues: getting up to speed I had some issues getting clipped in. And cornering was a challenge, I consistently lost time to the guys in front of me then had to reel them back in up to the next turn.

Cornering just has to improve. Also, learning how to strap the shoes in while on the bike.

I drank too much water--almsot 2 full bottles in 50 minutes--and got a little side stitch on the run...definitely need to pace out my drinking a bit better.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Holy crap, my legs were toast...they felt like absolute jelly getting off the bike and I had a tough time going from the bike to T2 to the run.

More bricks to condition the body for the change-over, and maybe just a better job of stretching while on the bike over the last 2-3 miles.
Run
  • 22m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Weird...I felt awful, AWFUL, the entire run, the conditions were brutal (see the course description above) and I somehow ended up just :49 seconds off my 5K PR. It is, however, the only part of the race where I was below average in my age group and it's clearly my biggest weakness. I got passed quite a bit, and it was frustrating because I knew that most of them were in my age group (according to the results I was in 7th place in my AG through T2, wound up in 11th...that is just unacceptable). The last mile was a real struggle, I contemplated walking for a bit but just sucked it up an finished...it really was just a ton of pain, but crossing the finish and seeing my time was such a great feeling.

TRAIN THE RUN! I'm running the Boston Marathon next year so that'll give me some motivation to get the run going. I'm still too bulky to be a 'runner' but I need better conditioning to finish strong.
Post race
Warm down:

A banana, some stretching and a fantastic (if painful) massage--my first massage ever, if you can believe it. I actually hurt quite a bit because my muscles are just so tight. But it's definitely lessened the post-race cramps.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running, cornering, and transfers. All three are things I can train up and make big jumps real quick because they're all very sub-par right now.

Event comments:

I don't know if the organizers get a pass because of the wind...it started an hour late and even though this is my first triathlon I feel like that's unacceptable, it's pretty crappy waiting around after getting a good warmup in, a solid swim warmup then standing there for 45 minutes.

Overall though I'm very, very happy with my race results...being a first-timer I think I handled everything very well, I paced myself reasonably well and my training's paid off. Much more training to come but I'm definitely going in the right direction!

Last updated: 2008-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:29 | 402 meters | 01m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/23
Overall: 33/347
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: It was SUPPOSED to be a simple rectangular loop, but with the wind whipping up they had some troubles with the two outside bouys and ended up with just one...so, it was a triangular course. I'm guessing it was no more than 250-300m. A good deal of chop today with the wind.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:30 | 15 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 66/347
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Downhill to start; rolling middle portion; tough hill climb around 10 miles; huge downhill then slight uphill to transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:57 | 03.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/23
Overall: 81/347
Course: Uphill for 2/5 mile, downhill to the mile marker, then into the wind for a quarter mile, another uphill for half a mile, then a run along the lake in a big crosswind and a finish across the sand, into the wind...all in all an easy 5K :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon

2009-05-10 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2141846

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: RE: NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon
Congrats Ray!  That's a fantastic first race.  Great transitions and a really good run split after a tough bike course.  When's the next one?
2009-05-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2142171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
rcberto - 2009-05-10 9:10 PM Congrats Ray!  That's a fantastic first race.  Great transitions and a really good run split after a tough bike course.  When's the next one?

Thanks Rob!  I actually have two 'events' in late June that I need to gear up for: first is the Harpoon B2B race, 146 mile bike race from the Harpoon brewery in Boston to the one in Vermont, so I really need to get alot of time in the saddle to gear up for that.  The next week I'm doing the Holliston Lions tri in Holliston, MA, which has a 5 mile run that I'm not nearly prepared for.  So somehow I have to get 6-8 hours on the bike a week and also get in 2 long runs a week, all while going away every weekend from now until the B2B...should be interesting!
2009-05-13 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2141846

User image

Congrats on your first tri! Great job! I saw you are running Boston next year? That's awesome. I just ran it for the first time this year- it was an amazing experience!
2009-05-22 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2148989

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
svea - 2009-05-13 3:11 PM Congrats on your first tri! Great job! I saw you are running Boston next year? That's awesome. I just ran it for the first time this year- it was an amazing experience!

Thanks Svea, much appreciated.  Both the pain and the enjoyment of this first triathlon was much more than I expected. 

I actually ran the last seven miles of Boston with my sister this year--carried a jacket and cell phone for her so we could get in touch with people at the finish--and it was pretty amazing.  I can only imagine what it feels like to be a REAL competitor...I can't WAIT!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NE Season Oper Sprint Duathlon & Triathlon Rss Feed