General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Arlington, Virginia
United States
Pacers Running Stores
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 286/938
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Just get up early enough to eat breakfast. 8:00 start time means we had to get up around 6:00. That was still early since the butterflies made the food a bit slow to digest. I didn't have much problem with it during the run, just once with a nasty burp.
Event warmup:

I didn't look at this as much of a race being my first time at this distance so I only stretched and did some light warming up, nothing serious.
Run
  • 1h 53m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Only one hill was kind of tough, it was strange though since it seemed like we were always running in to the wind, I guess that makes up for the almost complete 2 miles downhill at the start, the last 2.5 miles were all against a strong headwind.
What would you do differently?:

I think for my first one I did it just as I wanted. I'm still running twice a week, so my legs aren't quite yet used to the pounding at this distance. For the next one I do I'll pick up the pace slightly and then see how picking it up to race pace for the last 10K works.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking, went to go cheer on my Fiance as she finished. She broke her 2 hour goal, by a few seconds, but she still made it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Volume of running I'm used to right nwo. I know racers are doing the whole thing in the higher HR zones, but my legs can't really take that hard of running yet. They're getting a lot better though since this was my old 5K pace in high school.. I was slow then.

Last updated: 2009-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:17 | 13.1 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/938
Performance: Good
Finishing time is based on chip time, starting out at the back of the pack it took almost 45 seconds to pass by the starting line. The splits taken during the race were every 5k, then the finish. 5k: 27:10, 10k: 54:10, 15k: 1:21:15, 20K 1:47:52, Finish 1:54:00 (elapsed time) Wow starting more towards the front could have gotten me a few places, but is there really much of a difference between 275th and 286th? I didn't wear my HR monitor since people say that the race excitement can throw it off. Went by feel/RPE, and was watching my pace to make sure I was at least doing 9mm or better.
Course: Was a nice relatively flat course along Clarendon to the edge of crystal city, up to the Memorial Bridge, back along the pentagon, up to the Navy Annex, and another loop towards Crystal city before returning back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %<1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
Subject: Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon

2009-05-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2142485

Subject: RE: Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon

Yeah, the headwinds over the last 2 miles were rough! Congrats on a great time! And yes, run more! I normally run 3x a week (except for this past week) and when I start mary training, it'll go up to 4x a week.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-11 6:26 AM
2009-05-11 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2142485

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon
Good job on your first half.  That hill was tough going up to the Air Force memorial and the wind sucked coming home.  :-)  Good luck at your next race - you will only get faster w/ more running!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed