Set-Up, Inc
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 4s
Overall Rank = 240/342
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 24/31
Pre-race routine:

B-fast 2 hrs. prior: 2 breakfast bars, banana, apple, 1/2 cup coffee. Sipped on bottle of Infinit mix (about 10 oz) before start (decided to skip the Accel Gel).

Gorgeous day.
Event warmup:

Note: arriving 1 hr. prior is not enough time, considering getting chipped, body marked, transition setup (see T1 below), warmup, etc., etc.

Short run, short bike, very short swim (got face in water as they were telling swimmers to clear the course, only 2-3 minutes to swim).

The water was perfect!
Swim
  • 18m 44s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought during the race that my swim sucked from bad sighting and not being used to a racing pace, but it turned out I did my best ever, shaving off over 6 min. from last fall!!! All those laps over the winter paid off!

Sighting was awful and kept veering off way right, totally forgot to count strokes, too involved with stroking while keeping smooth with breathing and extending reach on each stroke (but hey, I went from 25 min. to 18 min., so who cares!!!).
What would you do differently?:

Remember to count strokes and sight every 15 strokes. Start practicing swimming at race pace. OWS practice possible???
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Did well getting out of swim gear. Grr, forgot to open up the bike shoes, wasted time opening them up before getting them on, made mistake of leaning on bike, it fell of the rack. Other than that, went well if my ranking was 69th overall (7th in AG) in T1.

Good call putting the shoes on in T1, running on barefoot over gravel would not have been fun (also recall the guy on course struggling to get into a shoe)

Take time to go over Transition Area prep (was a bit rushed pre-race)
Bike
  • 58m 57s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard and was rewarded for it: passed almost everyone (just 1-2 tri bikes passed me). Felt good to pass a bunch of tri bikers with me on my hybrid. Went back and forth with that guy on the Cervelo, hunting him down the last 2 miles (he got me on the last mile, but I left him out of T2). Great bike ride, now it's time to move up a level.

Other than get a tri bike and work on high speed turns, do more hill work and speed work.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Realized I passed my rack as I saw the number (gear was on the near side), had to turn around. Fumbled a bit undoing the clip on the helmet. Otherwise, switched shoes quickly, grabbed belt, and started running. (147th overall, 11th in AG)

Practice T2 movements, including a dry run so you don't miss your bike rack (and find your helmet clip)
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started run w/ some mild pain top of stomach (pushed hard through Bike and T2). Started to get hot. Taking 2-3 small sips of water was the right call (did not hurt stomach). Good sprints down hills, held in there until the finish.

More bricks, more hillwork
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, Chocolate milk, finish off the 10 oz. of Infinit, slice of free pizza (ugh don't do that again).

6 in. BMT Sub at Subway (mmm...Yummy)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim technique and OWS sighting skills, hill work on bike and run

Event comments:

Training over the winter has paid off. Given this is my third sprint ever and my first race of the season, I am thrilled with my improvement in swimming, and feel that I'm getting stronger with my bike and running as well.

Once again, another great Setup Events race.

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:44 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/31
Overall: 319/342
Performance: Good
Suit: F2R Sockeye Sleeveless
Course: Clockwise. Water was awesome!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:57 | 18 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/31
Overall: 219/342
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Big hill at start, eased up a bit, lots of downhill runs (max speed 34mph) followed by hills after (gusty) bridges and again at the last half to three-quarters. Technical turns were a bit tricky at speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good