Max Performance
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 39s
Overall Rank = 58/347
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, made an egg and some toast, and loaded the car. I forgot my USAT ID when I went for packet pickup on Saturday, so I had to get to the race a bit earlier than planned to take care of that. This was our dog's first time attending a race, my wife and I had some extra logistical steps to take care of.
Event warmup:

Not much. I swam a bit, but after they kept delaying the start due to high winds (and moving swim buoys), I opted to just hang out and wait. Probably a bit of a mistake. It got COLD sitting in the wind!
Swim
  • 05m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This could have gone better. I haven't swam open water since Timberman, so my navigation group swimming difficulties are totally of my own making. Wasn't thinking about form much. I think I could have shaved a minute off this time if I had really pushed myself and executed effectively. I need to practice open water, especially dealing with wind and waves. That really threw me. Fun swim, though.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water!
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I took some extra time to put on socks, in the hopes that my feet wouldn't turn into meat popsicles this year. But since I was also using toe covers on my shoes, it's hard to know which one made the difference. It's unclear if it's worth the extra time

Practice transitions
Bike
  • 51m 27s
  • 15.4 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

With really high winds all day, and very, very strong gusts, I wanted to hold back in the beginning to leave something in the tank for dealing with wind + climbing later in the race. This may have been a mistake, since the wind didn't effect my output but rather my bike handling ability. I could have easily shaved a minute off my time just by pushing the early miles. This was also my first race (and second ride ever) on some old Zipp 440s that I dragged out of storage this year. I don't know if the wind would have been as bad on regular hoops.

I think spending some time doing short threshold intervals on the bike (like I do in run training) would really help my riding.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Slow dismount. I need to practice the rolling dismount, so I didn't want to try it for the first time in a race.

Practice flying dismount.
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

A PR! I've never broken the 7-minute barrier before, so this was super cool. It just goes to show that if I could bring what I'm learning about run training to my bike training, I could make some major progress there, too.

Nothing. I'm going to spend some time enjoying this milestone and save for my "analysis" for another day.
Post race
Warm down:

Asthma kicked in during the run. I think it happens during these cool-weather events. I had major trouble breathing after crossing the finish line, so I borrowed my wife's inhaler.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I need to practice some tri-specific fundamentals (transitions, open water swimming), and I need to spend some time bringing the lessons of my run training to bear on my bike training. "Just riding" has some merit, but it's probably not the most effecient use of my time.

Last updated: 2009-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:01 | 440 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: They shortened the course after a buoy kept blowing a way. I have no idea how long it turned out to be.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:27 | 15.4 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Single loop course, mostly downhill at start, then climbing during the last 4-5 miles. It's a really beautiful course, though. I like entering and leaving the park past the Humane Society. Lots of dogs "cheering" you on!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:23 | 03.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Low 170s
Course: Single loop within the park. Beautiful course. Part of the run crosses a field, which was very pretty. Nice finish across the reservoir causeway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes