Cornelius, North Carolina
United States
Hope House Foundation, Ace and TJ
Total Time = 1h 27m 51s
Overall Rank = 132/326
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate cereal approximately 2 hrs before race time. Sipped on G2 right up until race time. Took endurolytes(first time) 30 minutes prior to race time, had a hammergel just before the start.
Event warmup:

Light run of about a quarter mile 25 minutes before race time. Got in the lake and did a quick out and back approximately 10 minutes prior to race time.
Swim
  • 18m 11s
  • 547 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average swim for me. My sighting was a little inconsistent as was my breathing but I never had to stop swimming for the length of the course. Speed is always an issue keeping my times up.
What would you do differently?:

Technique, as always.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

My T1 time does not account for what went wrong as everything worked great up until the moment it was time to mount my bike, which was outside of the transition area. I had one of the worst experiences of my life almost crashing into another cyclist trying to get into my pedals.

Have shoes on pedals prior to transition and just get into my shoes once as oppose to getting into my pedals.
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard on the bike and didn't have anything left for the run, although nutrition probably had a lot to do with it also. Right calf cramped up about 2/3 the way through, pedaled it out a few strokes after.

Drink more, or something different. Not sure yet. Was very happy with my time/rank outside of mounting my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Everything went great in T2, although my calves were cramping the whole time forcasting my downfall this race.

Technique, not much. Need to be in better shape upon entry though.
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Horrible. Both calves locked up coming out of T2 to the point I had to stop. Even after I spent a bit of time stretching them out I had no energy to push any sort of a pace. Stopped approximately 6-8 times during the first half of the run. Was at best a jog when I wasn't stopped. Began to find the ability to move forward approximately 2/3 through the run. Was able to find a pace with a quarter mile to go, but then again it was shady and downhill.

Everything, considering nothing went right during the run. Worst 5K time ever, triathlon or no.
Post race
Warm down:

Packed up my gear and left, I was disgusted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, training. Haven't figured it out yet.

Event comments:

Outside of a selfish standpoint, the organizers need to consider changing the course, although it will be difficult. The bike and run exited the park in the same direction (left turn) so basically you had four lanes of triathlon traffic blocking off the peninsula. Any poor soul who actually lived out that way was essentially blocked in for two hours+. I would suggest they change the run to a right turn outside of the park and keep it all on the right side of Jetton Road. This at least would alleviate the traffic problem it caused somewhat. Not to mention there were not enough volunteers out there to man that busy intersection, a few riders and runners got lost coming back into the park because no one yelled which way to go as they did for me. Also a few sharp turns and curves weren't marked well enough in advance, although that is inaugural year type stuff I'm sure can be easily worked out. The transition area was spaced wonderfully and the beach was a perfect venue for entry exit. Those two areas should yield zero complaints.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:11 | 547 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/326
Performance: Average
Suit: PI triathlon trunks
Course: triangle shaped swim from the beach. On the way back I think one of the buoys was out of line as I swam inside the buoy to keep a straight line with the finish.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:45 | 12.43 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/34
Overall: 70/326
Performance: Average
Add a minute from the horrible experience getting into my pedals.
Wind: None
Course: Rolling for the most part riding down to the bottom of a Y shaped peninsula in which you traveled to both ends. Two turnarounds. Only one very short, very steep hill, which you get to ride back down shortly after a turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:53 | 03.11 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/34
Overall: 213/326
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling and flat, no big hills anywhere on the course.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes