General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-07-16 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2289878

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
dah1ias - 2009-07-16 3:25 PM

I suspect this may be the stupidest question I have ever asked, but:

What exactly does the participation guide mean when it says, no pushing off the walls in the pool? What are you supposed to do? 

No, the stupidest question ever asked was when I asked that girl "Hey, can I see you again sometime?" Worked out well, I met my wife later that year.

They don't mean pushing off at the end of each lap, they're talking about pushing/moving along the sides or lane markers. My friends and I specifically asked about this before competing last year.

2009-07-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2290379

New user
raidenolsen - 2009-07-16 5:55 PM
dah1ias - 2009-07-16 3:25 PM I suspect this may be the stupidest question I have ever asked, but:

What exactly does the participation guide mean when it says, no pushing off the walls in the pool? What are you supposed to do? 
No, the stupidest question ever asked was when I asked that girl "Hey, can I see you again sometime?" Worked out well, I met my wife later that year. They don't mean pushing off at the end of each lap, they're talking about pushing/moving along the sides or lane markers. My friends and I specifically asked about this before competing last year.

HEHEHEHE!  Thanks so much! 
2009-07-16 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2288890

User image

New user

Being a newbie, I was wondering how they will determine my swim start time. Are they going to say "go"? or hit a watch when I actually start? Can I do any kind of warm up swim before being on the clock? If there are 12 people swimming at the same time, I would think that 100 people per hour would be reasonable.

All 12 people finish in 10 minutes. 12 * 6 = 72 people/hour.
                                    8 minutes -> 60/8 = 7.5; 12 * 7.5 = 90 people/hour
                                    6 minutes 12 * 10 = 120 people/hour

2009-07-16 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2290488

New user

Thank you for asking! That was the funny way of stating " please don't use the ropes or wall to help you propel in a forward direction except for the end wall for turning..." But with each race I learn something new! 

Also a friendly heads up...I have biked this route twice. I had my 1st flat. LOTS of road debris since we bike back in the industrial park.  ( 2nd time saw my 1st 4' black snake...thats enough to make you pick up speed! It was not a tire remnant like I had thought.)

Good Luck everyone...its going to be a great time! Enjoy!

2009-07-17 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2290521

User image

Regular
jrgwx - 2009-07-16 8:53 PM

Being a newbie, I was wondering how they will determine my swim start time. Are they going to say "go"? or hit a watch when I actually start? Can I do any kind of warm up swim before being on the clock? If there are 12 people swimming at the same time, I would think that 100 people per hour would be reasonable.

All 12 people finish in 10 minutes. 12 * 6 = 72 people/hour.
                                    8 minutes -> 60/8 = 7.5; 12 * 7.5 = 90 people/hour
                                    6 minutes 12 * 10 = 120 people/hour

When a lane opens up (both swimmers are out) they will let the next two swimmers in. I had about 5 seconds last year between getting in the pool and being told to start, so no, not much chance for a warm up.

Kinda tough to figure your start time, since you can't anticipate which participants won't show up.
2009-07-17 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2290691

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
sarahmu29 - 2009-07-16 10:32 PM

Thank you for asking! That was the funny way of stating " please don't use the ropes or wall to help you propel in a forward direction except for the end wall for turning..." But with each race I learn something new! 

Also a friendly heads up...I have biked this route twice. I had my 1st flat. LOTS of road debris since we bike back in the industrial park.  ( 2nd time saw my 1st 4' black snake...thats enough to make you pick up speed! It was not a tire remnant like I had thought.)

Good Luck everyone...its going to be a great time! Enjoy!

When was the last time you were out? I'll email Ken to let him know and see if they're going to check road conditions day of the race. I'll be out tomorrow on the course tomorrow and will let folks know.

2009-07-17 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2291995

New user

The flat happened in June. It was around Governor's Lane area.  Live and learn, I just walked back to the park.

Thanks for emailing Ken! 
2009-07-17 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2291029

User image

New user

Okay, that answers my question. They'll tell me to start, I can start my stopwatch and start swimming.

I drove out to Hagerstown to check the bike course the other day. It was pretty flat.

My legs are jello after biking.  My 5K run time could be horrific.
2009-07-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2292544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
jrgwx - 2009-07-17 5:12 PM

Okay, that answers my question. They'll tell me to start, I can start my stopwatch and start swimming.

I drove out to Hagerstown to check the bike course the other day. It was pretty flat.

My legs are jello after biking.  My 5K run time could be horrific.

There is 1 short hill at around mile 9 or 10 to be aware of. But it's not a biggie. The rest is flat to gently rolling with pretty wide shoulder most of the way. Overall, it's a pretty flat course.

In regards to your last statement - that's what brick training is all about, so your legs get used to the transition from bike to run. One workout I "like" to do sometimes is called Speed Bricks. You can do these outdoors if you have a 3 mile course that works and a way to transition to the run while ensuring your bike is secure. I do this at home on my trainer cuz it's easier and I don't have to secure my bike. I just used my bike computer for distance. Have your run shoes and water/hydration handy and ventilation/fan if you're indoors. Here's what you do:

- Hop on your bike and pedal at a good clip for 3 miles

- After 3 miles, get off the bike and transition to the run

- Run 1 to 1 1/2 miles, coming back to your bike area at the end of it.

- Rest 3-4 minutes

Repeat the above sequence 3-4 times.

Now you're supposed to do these at near race pace but I usually do the first as a warm up and then do the others at a good clip.

These are a great way to get some quality brick training in.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and week training! I'm off to do the double brick on the course as advertised.

Edited by sbrdave 2009-07-18 7:47 AM
2009-07-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2149627

User image

Master
Maryland
I double rode the bike course today, beautiful day!  There was some glass on the shoulder just before you get to the Williamsport Red Men club on route 68.  Other than that, the conditions were good.  I followed the 2 loop bike ride with a brick run of the run course.  The run path is shaded at first.  Then, you cross over grass and go back out to the park road.  There is one hill at around mile 2 that feels worse than it is.  I think it is tough because it is near the end of the race and the park road is exposed to the sun, no shade.  Met sbrdave as I was leaving too.
2009-07-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2293387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Terps421 - 2009-07-18 1:01 PM

I double rode the bike course today, beautiful day!  There was some glass on the shoulder just before you get to the Williamsport Red Men club on route 68.  Other than that, the conditions were good.  I followed the 2 loop bike ride with a brick run of the run course.  The run path is shaded at first.  Then, you cross over grass and go back out to the park road.  There is one hill at around mile 2 that feels worse than it is.  I think it is tough because it is near the end of the race and the park road is exposed to the sun, no shade.  Met sbrdave as I was leaving too.

Yeah, sorry we couldn't talk but I was on the fast second brick and going for some time. Industrial Lane has a lot of little stones across the shoulder and I'll have to let Ken know about that. I was "pinging" them off my tire a lot. Going to have to check for cuts in my back tire. I saw a little bit of glass here and there but nothing was really that bad as far as debris on the remainder of the course. Still, I'll tell Ken in hopes that they'll sweep the course the night before.

The grass portion of the run is a bit strange but not really an issue unless it gets wet. The first year we went all the way out on the path before coming back to go on the road. Maybe that was just too crowded or got in the way of other folks there. Still, there's only a few places where you've got to go uphill and it's not too bad.

Terps421 - were you following all the run course, because I think it says to go on the grass, turn around once you reach the road, go back on the path, turn right at the pavillion and then go to the road. It's a little confusing with that part with the grass following the tree line. Have to ask the race folks.

BTW, I said before about one hill at mile 9 or 10. There are actually a series of 3 short hills here but they're not very long. Just a bit steeper than the gradual uphills in the beginning.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day for this as Terps421 said! Hope for this weather next Sunday! Right now, long range forecast looks a bit cloudy and kinda humid but it's still too far out right now to say anything with confidence. I'll update the weather forecast during the week.

Have a good week all and see you at the race!

Edited by sbrdave 2009-07-18 1:32 PM

2009-07-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2293454

User image

New user

Right now, long range forecast looks a bit cloudy and kinda humid but it's still too far out right now to say anything with confidence. I'll update the weather forecast during the week. Have a good week all and see you at the race!

It looks like a daily "chance of thunderstorms" pattern for the week, but not terribly hot with highs not reaching 90.

This thread has been great. I appreciate the info.
2009-07-21 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
I emailed race director Ken Racine about the road debris and he indicated the county should be helping in sweeping the roads, but looks like he may have to get some folks out to do some clearing before the race. So, hopefully, things will be a bit clearer come race day.

First look at the weather forecast:
- race start temp 70 going up to 81 by 11:30
- winds light 5mph or less from generally the SW
- Partly cloudy skies
- 30 % chance of rain

It'll be a bit humid too but not really uncomfortable.

The forecast models indicate a front advancing into the area on Sunday afternoon, so looks like at this time that significant rain will hold off until later in the afternoon. Still a bit far in the future to really nail that down with any certainty, though. I'll update again on Thurs or Friday and then on Sat.

BTW, if anyone out there can, they're still looking for volunteers for the Youth Tri that's on Saturday evening.

2009-07-22 6:04 AM

New user
HAZY, HOT, and HUMID, HON!
2009-07-23 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Race day weather forecast update - no real changes from what I wrote earlier. There will be a weakening cold front approaching Sat night into Sunday morning with most of the heavier rain going to the north of the area and even then it will be weakening as well.

Race morning temperatures - 70 at 6:30, climbing to 81 by 11:30
Relative humidity - 90% at 6:30, lowering to 64% by 11:30 (so kinda muggy)
Winds - south at 6 mph increasing to 9 mph by 11 ( so headwind going out on 632, but changing to tailwind on Governor Lane Blvd)
Partly to mostly cloudy skies
Rain chances - 20% at race start increasing to 40% by 8 AM and continuing through the morning.

I'll update again on Saturday one last time.
2009-07-23 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
If it rains, all the people in my age group that were gonna beat me won't show up, right?

2009-07-24 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2304567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
raidenolsen - 2009-07-23 5:18 PM

If it rains, all the people in my age group that were gonna beat me won't show up, right?

If only that would be true for a lot of us. Of course, if we're all thinking that, then we all still show up... hmm.
2009-07-24 1:08 PM

User image

Abingdon, MD
I just found this thread and wish I had found it earlier.  I'm doing this tri too. It will be my first one and it makes me feel better to see there are others out there. This thread answered all of my questions that kept me up last night. The "not pushing off the pool wall" thing had me worried that my already slow swim time was going to be even worse.  You all even answered questions I didn't know that I had- like the bike rules  

I have no idea what any of u look like but I'll be the dark haired, little bit chubby, very frightened looking girl with a German Shepherd (she's friendly).  Don't worry- the family will be holding onto the dog although it would probably be easier for me if I let her pull me. 

Thanks for all of the information! Without this website, I never would have been brave enough to do this- Jen 
2009-07-24 3:44 PM

User image

This is my first too.  my daughter got me into the "Tri" thing.  i've done a few 5Ks but nothing like this before.  i'm feeling a little less panicked about it after reading all these posts.  i know my time will be really slow but i do think i'll finish.  that's really all i care about.  besides this is my "baseline."  so no matter how bad i do this time it's gotta be better next time, right?

BTW i'm a little "chubby" too.  see y'all there!

judy
2009-07-25 5:44 AM
in reply to: #2306537

New user
UNCI - 2009-07-24 3:44 PM This is my first too.  my daughter got me into the "Tri" thing.  i've done a few 5Ks but nothing like this before.  i'm feeling a little less panicked about it after reading all these posts.  i know my time will be really slow but i do think i'll finish.  that's really all i care about.  besides this is my "baseline."  so no matter how bad i do this time it's gotta be better next time, right?

BTW i'm a little "chubby" too.  see y'all there!

judy

Congrats to you and Igosbro for making it to the starting line!  Tomorrow will be my first tri too.  My name is Kim and my bib number will be 479.  I will be starting between 8:30 and 9:30.  I will be the one most likely to meandering around in a  plain white tee shirt before the swim.  I have finally decided that I would swim in my tri shorts and bikini like top.  Unfortunately this is not something I would be caught dead doing any other time.  Hence,  the shirt before the swim.  It will only be a short sprint to my favorite workout shirt waiting for me at my bike!

Anyway, if you see me, please say hello (and any of you other bters out there!)

Edited by dah1ias 2009-07-25 5:45 AM
2009-07-25 7:56 AM

User image

Abingdon, MD
My bib # is 343- swim start 7:30-8:30.  See u there!

2009-07-25 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
My hats off to all of you for giving it a "tri"! Good luck, learn from the experience, take your time, stay to the right of folks on the bike except to pass, and above all - HAVE FUN! You'll get hooked just like I did. BTW, don't be afraid to ask questions of others in the transition area.

Final weather forecast update:

After the late night showers, looks like roads will be wet for the first few groups. Not much has changed:

Temp 69 at 6:30 rising to 81 by 11 AM
Dewpoint steady around 66
Winds SW at 5 mph at 6:30, getting up to 10 mph by 11 AM (so a headwind going out but tailwind on the return for the most part)
Relative humidty 86% lowering to 60% (so kinda humid but not overly so)
Partly to mostly cloudy skies
34% chance of rain rising to 49% by noon.

Though a stray showers can't be ruled out as we'll have a stagnating cold front entering the area during the morning, it looks like the heavier rain and thunderstorms won't affect the area until the afternoon.

Good luck to all!

Dave - #289, 6:30 - 7:30 group. Hopefully, I'll be able to cheer folks who are starting later at the finish line. Again - GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
2009-07-26 12:24 PM

New user
YAY!  Congratulations to all of the racers who completed the Hagerstown sprint and 5k today.  I had a really great experience and I am still smiling.  After the official results come out I will post a race report.  I have some times on my watch but I don't have all the transition splits.

Good day all!
2009-07-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2308482

User image

New user

Wow, that was a soakfest!
I have my stopwatch time, but I'll wait for the official race results to post my info.
I definitely made my goals... finish & beat 2 hours.
2009-07-26 4:00 PM

New user

It was such an awesome day (except for the early morning rain).  I had a great time and the opportunity to meet a few BT too! Thanks everyone for all your support and updates on this thread. I can't wait to do it again next year. Good Luck in all upcoming events.

Swim+Bike+Run

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3