General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hole in shoe toebox? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-14 4:30 AM

User image

Veteran
S.E Asia
Subject: Hole in shoe toebox?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Without fail everyone of my trainers develops a hole above my big toe in my right shoe. ( Yes, I cut my toes nails )

I could probably get another  100 miles out of them, but it really annoys me that my toe keeps poking through and I end up buying a new pair before the cushioning has gone.

How do you stop this problem?

2009-05-14 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2149855

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: RE: Hole in shoe toebox?
I don't buy new shoes for that reason alone.  I would find a shoe with a larger toe box that fits and does not give you that problem.  I have had a similar problem but have found a trainer that works for me.  Once you find a pair that works for you, stick with it until the company changes it too much before you switch. 
2009-05-14 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2149855

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: RE: Hole in shoe toebox?

what terrain do you run?  hills, off road, trails, fells or normal flat roads?

If you are running on hills or off road you may want to look at the type of trainers you have, hills and uneven ground put a lot of pressure on the front of the shoe as you head down so you can go through light road shoes easily.

If you are doing off road or hills, perhaps look at a pair of lightweight fell shoes or trail shoes, these always look bulky when buying but if you go for something like the Inov8 ROClite range you can get some very strong trainers with not too much in the way of weight, I use the ROClite 312GTX as the name suggests 312 grammes. 

I don't use these on the road though, so if you are running roads then you need to look at road specific shoes with a High front protection, go to your local running store, or one that has gait analysis, and tell them the issue, get them to check your style and advise on the correct shoe to last.  well worth investing a little time into research and paying a little extra for a professional to help you out.  Some of the latest shoes have a slightly higher toe box and have the toe box joined with the lacing section from above the big toe this style should help you out.  check the Nike Air Alaris, may not suit your running style (see previous note on getting a prof. to check your style) but may help with a little extra protection up front.

Hope that's useful

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hole in shoe toebox? Rss Feed