United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 58m 34s
Overall Rank = 1165/4030
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 148/373
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4AM and weighed myself in at 190. Last year I did the Pig at 204 so I had a goal of getting down to 190 for this years race to see if it would help me break 4 hours. I had been up and down between 189 and 192 the past week, so I felt as if it was a sign to be exactly 190 on race day.

I had oatmeal and a waffle w/ peanut butter for breakfast. Drank a Diet Coke and water as well. Most of my stuff was all laid out and/or packed so it didn't take long to get ready. I actually took a quick shower to help wake up.

Drove down to pick up my brother Jake who would bike around the course to cheer me on and take photos. Got to his place about 0520 and headed downtown. Parked near Paul Brown Stadium which was probably a mistake because we had a long painful walk from the finish area after the race. It was under cover at least which was nice because it was raining lightly.

I got all lubed up which worked nicely... no chafe. Got my shoes tied and everything ready and we walked on down to the start area. I ate my banana and took my water bottle with me. I ate one Gu gel about 5 minutes before the start and chased it with water. I looked around for my Mojo running group friends but couldn't find anyone. It was pretty chaotic with all the people and the rain. With a few minutes before the start, Jake took off on the bike to get ahead and snap some photos. I got in line behind the 4 hour pace group and pacer Brett.

I always get a little emotional at the start of a big race just thinking about all the hard work I put into training and dieting and knowing the next 4 hours were going to test that training. A friend called me the night before to pep me up and told me "prepare to suffer". I used that as my mantra throughout the race. I was prepared and I would suffer to reach my 4 hour goal. That's what I was thinking about just prior to the cannon going off.
Event warmup:

Just stretched out a little bit and walked around. Just a few notes about my training for next year. I did a couple extra long runs which I think helped out but I also did a lot of speed work on the track, hill work, and tempo runs. I really feel like that along with loosing 14 lbs was the key to my success this year.
Run
  • 3h 58m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start, I tried to get as close as I could to the 4 hour pace group but was a bit behind. The National Anthem was sung followed by a Kanye West song to get everyone motivated and then the cannon went off. It only took me about 3 minutes to get to the start line. It was chaotic and hard to stay near the pace group.

As expected, it was a bit slow and congested the first mile. I think the pace was somewhere around 9:30-9:45. We picked it up after that and were cruising around 8:50- 9min pace for awhile. I really felt like he was taking us out really fast. I felt as if I was extending myself too early in the race and I may pay for it later but I really wanted to stay with the pace group. I was prepared to suffer. My Garmin was off by quite a bit which had me kind of screwed up. It had me finishing each mile well before the race mile markers and actually showed that I ran 27.08 miles in total. This made the pace on the garmin averaging about an 8:45 which in my mind was too fast. Next time I won't even wear the thing. I don't know why it was off by so much but I can't imagine the race course was almost a mile long.

The early miles took us over the Ohio River into Newport, KY, then another bridge into Covington, KY, then back over the Ohio to Cinti again. Around mile 4 is wear I took my first and only pee. I just went behind some big trucks. I knew the hills were coming and didn't want to have to pee in the middle of that. It took me a minute or two to catch the group after that but nothing too bad. I still was feeling a bit like we were going too fast but I just hoped I could keep it together and stay strong through the end of the race.

Miles 5-9 or so are considered the hilly miles. It takes you right through downtown then up Gilbert Ave into Eden Park. I really don't think the hills are that bad. They go up then level off periodically so as long as you've trained on some hills it is tolerable. One of the steepest parts is up Eden Park Drive and the crowd support there is very motivating. That is where I saw my brother and parents for the first time. They cheered like mad and took photos and videos. Always nice to see a familiar face. Around mile 6 or 7 there is a great view of the Ohio River and a large choir that sings and is very uplifting. I think it was around this time that I noticed the rain had stopped. It was never very hard at all and even felt kind of nice. In fact, the weather was perfect for running all day.

Like in my previous two marathons, miles 12-20 are all pretty much a big blur. I remember hitting 13.1 well under 2 hours and thinking that is pretty nice. I was absolutely tired but mentally I was strong and knew I could continue much further. It's around these miles where you run through neighborhoods in Hyde Park, Mariemont, and Fairfax where there is excellent fan support. The crowds are full of high-5's and cheers and I heard many "go Keenan" since my name was on the front of my shirt.

Notes about my nutrition/hydration. I took a gu right before the race start, then one at miles 5, 10, 14, 19, and 23. I took orange slices on about three different occassions as well. They really hit the spot. I took two extra strength Tylenol around mile 12 and drank water and/or gatorade at every aid station. I never had to pee again during the race or well after it. I felt like I drank about as much as my stomach could handle. I felt like my nutrition was just right for this race and should repeat it next year.

I ran into three people I knew while out on the course, all actually trying to break the four hour mark... Chad, Matt, and Heidi. Only one broke the four hour goal but all finished with exceptional times. Once again always nice to see familiar faces. At mile 21 is when I ran into Heidi, the sister of one of my college roommates. She said she wasn't doing very well and we had both fallen behind the pace group. I was on a mission to catch up and tried to convince her to go with me. I was hurting myself so I didn't have a whole lot of motivation in me. I wished I would've pushed her a bit harder and had some guilt when I found out she fell just short of her goal. Next time that happens I'll try to push someone and make sure they are at their limit before they slow down.

Some time after that around mile 22-23 I saw my brother again who took some good video while riding his bike next to me. He offered me the orange and/or banana I had given him but neither sounded good to me at that point. We chatted for a minute then he took off up ahead to try to get a good finish photo. He told me later that I was looking pretty bad... worse than other races. Next I ran into my Dad who had managed to park his car right on Eastern Ave to get an excellent spot to cheer me on. Never an over-exuberant man much like myself, he gave me a couple cheers, a fist pump, and a look that told me he had confidence that I could meet my goal. I think I saw my Dad one more time as he drove on up ahead. At mile 23 I saw Paul Heintz, owner of Mojo Running. He cheered me on with his megaphone having already completed the half marathon. He was in a great spot just after going under the train bridge at the hill. Not the steepest hill on the course or the longest, but one of the toughest considering it's placement on the course.

Mile 24 is where I would say I came closest to "hitting the wall". I wanted to slow down and walk so bad and I actually did for a few seconds. I had stayed with the pace group the whole way and I knew if I let them go now I would never catch back up. I just had to think about all the hard work I had put into this day and how terrible I would feel if I gave up with 2 miles to go. The John Collins quote popped into my mind - "you can quit and no one will care, but you will always know". I brought a picture of my three kids in my pocket and pulled it out as I had at other tough times during the race. I would always want my kids to believe in themselves and never give up when chasing their goals. I had to keep going and suffer for just a bit more.

I fell behind the group just a bit from my walk at mile 24. I didn't have enough in me at that point to catch back up but I knew they'd be walking the last water stop since they'd been walking the last few. I caught up to them at that point and just kept on going. At mile 25 I felt a little bit better and now knew I was going to break 4 hours. At mile 25.2 there is a timing mat so they can clock the final mile. Once I hit that I knew I was home free... I can run a mile in my sleep, right? The crowds were really building back up and the adrenaline was rushing. I still was not feeling very good but I knew I'd make it. What I lack in physical ability I make up for in mental toughness.

Towards the finish, the crowds were absolutely insane! I saw my friend Dominic who cheered me on and then my brother one last time who is always loud enough to get my attention. My Mom and her friend Janet were up above on a bridge looking down. They managed to get my attention just before I went under it. I finally made it to the "Finish Swine" and pumped my hands in the air and stopped my watch at 3:58:34! Broke 4 hours with a minute and a half to spare!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. All my training, 6am runs, 10pm track runs, long runs by myself, crappy tasting boring food... they all paid off. I left it all out there on the course and I was spent. I had suffered like never before and my body was letting me know it. I don't think there is much else I could have done to improve other than continue doing more of what I did. I ran pretty much even splits for the entire race thanks to pacer Brett. I couldn't have done it without him and the rest of the group.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried to stretch as best as I could. Mostly I wanted to sit down and rest my feet. I was able to eat a bagel, potato chips, and some other junk. I wanted to stay and watch some other finishers but I wasn't feeling all that great and just wanted to get home. Jake and I made the long walk back to the car which was at least a mile. Note to self, park closer to the finish next year. Once I got home I was really hobbling and did not feel good at all. I took a good long nap and after that felt much better. I'd say I felt much worse immediately after this race compared to my other two marathons. However, my recovery on Monday and Tuesday was better this time. I ran the following Saturday but could've run on Wednesday or Thursday if I had to.

Event comments:

Once again, The Flying Pig Marathon is the best race I have ever been involved in. I will continue to come back and do at least the half marathon as long as I am able. Organization and crowd support are second to none. The price is good and the goodies and medal are all nice. Highly recommended.

Last updated: 2008-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
03:58:34 | 26.2 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 148/373
Overall: 1165/4030
Performance: Good
6.8 - 1:02:41 12 - 1:48:48 13.1 - 1:58:36 19.7 - 2:58:05 25.2 - 3:49:36 26.2 - 3:58:34
Course: Same course as last year. Hills are not as bad as described as long as you train on hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes