General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathlete...with a lot of questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-16 3:20 PM

Subject: New Triathlete...with a lot of questions
Alrighty then. So i walked into the Columbia Tri pick up today...and felt so out of place. I'm only 16 and i'm not quite sure why i signed up to do this, me and a friend were going to but he backed out citing he was "too busy" and by then i had already signed up and for some crazy reason i kept with it. I had gone to cheer on a couple of friends at the iron girl and thought wow it'd be really cool to do one of these...so here i am signed up for the Columbia Triathlon.

But anyways, i was just wondering, what do you guys do morning of race/what do you bring to the transition area? I've looked around and it seems like the common list is:
  • Running Shoes + Socks if you wear them
  • Running number
  • Helmet...with the sticker on it
  • Towel
  • Drinks, gels, etc.
Is that a good basic list?

And also, do you go morning of wearing your wetsuit already or do you put it on later when it's closer to race day? I rented one, and my shoulders do not like it when i wear a wetsuit, and i can't imagine wearing it for 2 hours until 7:55 before actually starting to swim. And when you get out of the water, do you just leave your suit at your transition area? Is there something you should do with it? I don't want to damage it.

Another thing is how do i know if my helmet is certified or not? It's just a generic bike helmet i got...i didn't even know certain helmets could be not certified for something.

Lastly, i don't have a racing belt, so could i safety pin my bib number onto another running shirt and just throw that on after the bike?

I know this is a lot of text, but if you did manage to get down here, thanks! Laughing

2009-05-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2155133

Subject: RE: New Triathlete...with a lot of questions
Good for you to stick to it, hope you find your tri a great experience. I would not wear a wetsuit for 2 hours before the race. They get very hot, so you should bring it with you and put it on before the start time. I'm not sure about the helmet, but it is probably ok. You will probably need your race number on for the bike and run. Pinning it to your shirt will work, just wear the same shirt if you need it for the bike too. You might want to add sunglasses to your list and look on BT for a race day checklist to see if there is anything else you might want or need. Good luck and have fun!
2009-05-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2155133

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: New Triathlete...with a lot of questions

Mylkal - 2009-05-16 4:20 PM Alrighty then. So i walked into the Columbia Tri pick up today...and felt so out of place. I'm only 16 and i'm not quite sure why i signed up to do this, me and a friend were going to but he backed out citing he was "too busy" and by then i had already signed up and for some crazy reason i kept with it. I had gone to cheer on a couple of friends at the iron girl and thought wow it'd be really cool to do one of these...so here i am signed up for the Columbia Triathlon.

But anyways, i was just wondering, what do you guys do morning of race/what do you bring to the transition area? I've looked around and it seems like the common list is:

• Running Shoes + Socks if you wear them
  • Running number
  • Helmet...with the sticker on it
  • Towel
  • Drinks, gels, etc.

Is that a good basic list?

And also, do you go morning of wearing your wetsuit already or do you put it on later when it's closer to race day? I rented one, and my shoulders do not like it when i wear a wetsuit, and i can't imagine wearing it for 2 hours until 7:55 before actually starting to swim. And when you get out of the water, do you just leave your suit at your transition area? Is there something you should do with it? I don't want to damage it.

Another thing is how do i know if my helmet is certified or not? It's just a generic bike helmet i got...i didn't even know certain helmets could be not certified for something.

Lastly, i don't have a racing belt, so could i safety pin my bib number onto another running shirt and just throw that on after the bike?

I know this is a lot of text, but if you did manage to get down here, thanks! Laughing

First off welcome to BT! Also good for you for sticking through it today with your race. 

You have everything pretty much down on what you need to bring with you on race day.  I'd say maybe a tube and stuff to change a tire.  Also don't forget nutrition also (Gu's Water G(aka Gatorade).  You might want to bring a towel to sit on in the transition and wipe that nasty lake off your face.

Hope you did well today.  Check out some other local race and keep going!  Starting young is always a good idea and if you keep it up you'll see progress very quickly.  Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathlete...with a lot of questions Rss Feed