General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikesport Ann Arbor Tri/Du : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-06-09 5:21 AM
in reply to: #2203010

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bikesport Ann Arbor Tri/Du : Official Thread
xrodolfox - 2009-06-08 2:53 PM

• .... My best was constantly high-jacked by 1) my inexperience and 2) outside factors (no volunteer on the turn). .....Off to the next race! i've gotta be more prepared!

• Xrod Sorry to be the face of reality but #2 above is also inexperience. Rule #1 in Triathlon KNOW THE COURSE. it is no one's responsibility to tell you were to turn but your own. Just cause a volunteer says go this way, does not make it right. MANY racers have been sent off course by a volunteer mistake, it happens, and its their fault for following bad directions.

Now in your case there was no volunteer mistake. But same rule applies you have to know the course.

Sounds like your going to have to work on thinking and riding at the same time, cause if your race plan is to depend on someone else to tell you the course your going to be disappointed again in the future.

Edited by davhamm 2009-06-09 5:22 AM

2009-06-09 7:49 AM
    in reply to: #2203354

User image

Veteran
    Pinckney, MI
    gir1with1nose - 2009-06-08 6:08 PM

By the way, here are a few pics of E-Caps racing...

Notice the runner about to pass me while I'm biking

I'll be the first to admit that I'm built for comfort, not speed Laughing
    2009-06-09 10:04 AM
    in reply to: #2202709

User image

Master
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    xrodolfox - 2009-06-08 2:14 PM Oh my. This is my fourth race, and I'm this is proof that i'm still a rookie. I ended up with a great learning experience, but not a great race. I was all over the place on the swim. OMG. I was 3rd at one point, but I got lost. Then I went from 12th to 3rd, and then got lost. I ended up 7th, after I passed one guy twice in 2 minutes after getting lost after passing him the first time, then getting lost again, and him beating me out of the water. I've got to work on sighting. Then I was 5 or 6th on the bike. My MIL saw me out in the turn off of North Territorial, and I was apparently right near the lead group. But of course, I got lost... again. I missed the turn off of MI 39, the second to last turn to to park, and kept going all the way out to Hell Michigan and beyond, before I realized that I'd gotten lost. I was livid. LIVID! There was no volunteer when I went by 20 minutes earlier, and since I was in that first group, there was no one in front (for at least 2 minutes, and no one behind (for at least 2 minutes). I dind't see a soul at the turn, and I dind't see any of the flimsy blue markings on the road. I was livid. I wanted to quit so badly. I averaged over 21mph on my bike computer (that includes the stop looking around past Hell to find directions and waiting for a biker to tell me which way to go), but only 15mph on the actual course. But I tried to make up for it on the run. I'm a very weak runner, but I passed people! I did well on the run, and never having run that fast before, I was surprised when I had some energy left at the end, and after the whole race. I think I might be able to go even faster! So after talkign to some friends, I might tright to see if I can get EE to give me free entry into another race so that I can actually do a race correctly, without mess-ups from the volunteers or crew. I just want to have a good race. I'm still a rookie. Here is my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />

Well this is all hearsay and inadmissible in court :-) so don't quote me but FWIW, I "heard" you were going to be given free entry to another EE race......and that the volunteer who gave up their Sunday morning to be there felt so bad they were going to reimburse the few cyclists who missed the curve until EE's roving motorcycle crew got it all straightened out.

Edited by travljini 2009-06-09 10:06 AM
    2009-06-09 10:51 AM
    in reply to: #2204840

User image

Veteran
    Michigan
    travljini - 2009-06-09 11:04 AM

Well this is all hearsay and inadmissible in court :-) so don't quote me but FWIW, I "heard" you were going to be given free entry to another EE race......and that the volunteer who gave up their Sunday morning to be there felt so bad they were going to reimburse the few cyclists who missed the curve until EE's roving motorcycle crew got it all straightened out.

I was behind a guy at packet pickup before the race that got a free entry after being hit by a car last year. Xrod - if getting lost works let me know. I'd rather go that route .
    2009-06-09 10:58 AM
    in reply to: #2204840

xrodolfox - 

Hey, Jon Woodard here, I organized the bike course marshals on sunday.

I'm sorry this happened — there was a miscommunication when I dispatched my volunteers, who, as travljini points out, gave up their sunday mornings for the sole purpose of helping the race go off smoothly. Patterson Lake & Glenbrook being the "Last turn" that needs to be marshaled, coupled with the dogleg in the road at Glenbrook/Patterson, and I can understand how the breakdown happened. Here's the course map for some context.

I spoke with Jim Donaldson about this after the race, and he seemed very willing to comp you an entry into another EE race. I would suggest emailing him at the email address they use for their mass mailings.

Again, I'm very sorry about this mix-up. I'd also like to encourage everyone to take a turn through the volunteer role at a race, since they are vital to the success of triathlon.

Edited by woodardj 2009-06-09 11:09 AM
    2009-06-09 12:38 PM
    in reply to: #2205027

woodardj - 2009-06-09 10:58 AM xrodolfox - 

I'm sorry this happened — there was a miscommunication when I dispatched my volunteers, who, as travljini points out, gave up their sunday mornings for the sole purpose of helping the race go off smoothly. Patterson Lake & Glenbrook being the "Last turn" that needs to be marshaled, coupled with the dogleg in the road at Glenbrook/Patterson, and I can understand how the breakdown happened. Here's the course map for some context.

I spoke with Jim Donaldson about this after the race, and he seemed very willing to comp you an entry into another EE race. I would suggest emailing him at the email address they use for their mass mailings.

Again, I'm very sorry about this mix-up. I'd also like to encourage everyone to take a turn through the volunteer role at a race, since they are vital to the success of triathlon.

Hey Jon

I did not race, but that is real cool of you to post a response.  It also says a ton about EE, willing to make that effort to please a customer, very cool.
    Joe 

2009-06-09 2:54 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
    woodardj - 2009-06-09 11:58 AM xrodolfox - 

Holy moly.

I only raced three other races, and the only other EE race I did was awesome, while the other companies really messed up. I had heard that EE was awesome in all aspects, and this just confirms it.

I've already recommended EE races to folks (I did this AA Tri with two other friends who are newbies, and convinced them to do an EE race rather than with other companies),  and now I have one more reason: excellent customer service. Wow.

I'll email Jim now.
    EE rocks.  
    2009-06-09 4:36 PM

User image

Master
    Ferndale, MI

First, I would like to echo what Jon said about volunteering.  I try to voly at least once a season, just to give back.  It can be a tough/long/strenuous day, depending on the jobs you're given (yes, jobs) and I have typically put in 5 to 6 hours each time.  Volunteers are there to help out, not to hinder racers, so EVERYONE make sure you yell thank yous to each and every person helping you at your next race.

Second, even though it is the racer's responsibility to know the course, I'd like to thank you, Jon, for taking the time to look into this, talk to Jim and especially register on this board just to express your apologies.  It does speak volumes about EEs attitude toward their races.  Unlike other RDs in this area, I think it shows that EE prefers quality over quantity.

I will say that the RACING GREYHOUNDS  will be seriously evaluating which races to support next year.
    2009-06-23 7:39 PM
    in reply to: #2155372

User image

Pittsburgh
    Ack! Wish I'd known about this a couple months ago---I'm six hours away, but my parents live in the Deuce. Don't know if sleeping on a sprung couch is quite what the trainer ordered for the night before one's first duathlon, but it might've been worth it. . . .

Ah, well. Maybe next year.
    2009-06-23 8:06 PM
    in reply to: #2206094

User image

Champion
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    Gold member
    gir1with1nose - 2009-06-09 5:36 PM

First, I would like to echo what Jon said about volunteering.  I try to voly at least once a season, just to give back.  It can be a tough/long/strenuous day, depending on the jobs you're given (yes, jobs) and I have typically put in 5 to 6 hours each time.  Volunteers are there to help out, not to hinder racers, so EVERYONE make sure you yell thank yous to each and every person helping you at your next race.

Second, even though it is the racer's responsibility to know the course, I'd like to thank you, Jon, for taking the time to look into this, talk to Jim and especially register on this board just to express your apologies.  It does speak volumes about EEs attitude toward their races.  Unlike other RDs in this area, I think it shows that EE prefers quality over quantity.

I will say that the RACING GREYHOUNDS  will be seriously evaluating which races to support next year.

EE is top notch. Jim and Joyce produce the best races in MI. Similarly, HFP produce the best races south of us, if you're interested in Ohio.

That being said, the racer does need to know the course. Period. If EE comps an entry, I call it above and beyond, outstanding customer service. Don't expect that everywhere, or anywhere.

Ok, harsh mode off. Great ride and run, even though you got off course, plus a kickin swim. It's a victory of sorts, no?
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikesport Ann Arbor Tri/Du : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4