General Discussion Race Reports! » Starker-Mann Challenge Saturday Afternoon Time Trial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Starker-Mann Challenge Saturday Afternoon Time Trial - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gaylord, Michigan
United States
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 39m 2s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

spun up a little bit, but not much. We got to the venue a little late and didn't have much time to warm up.
Event warmup:

Not much, maybe a half mile of high cadence spinning.
Bike
  • 39m 2s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a ramp start, on one minute intervals. I won the seeding race for the sprint division, so I was first off, following the 40k racers. Luckily, I had JHagerman out in front as my rabbit. I never really made time on him with the out length, but I held my distance for a while. The hills and wind were just killing me.

This was my third race in two days and I was not able to climb like normal. On top of that, I was running two trispokes and considering the course and conditions, that was not the wisest decision. I should have ran a lightweight alloy in front to reduce of the wind exposure, and any weight savings would have been nice. ANY, self included. ;)

The descent and cross-wind combo was scary. I've never descended at those speeds with such wind. I was hanging on for dear life and I could really feel the upper body fatigue set in. Perhaps I was over gripping. I don't know. I'm a fairly inexperienced rider.

With about a mile to go, I was in death march mode. Just turning for what I could. I think I was only doing about 16-17mph in the last mile, right before the last climb. Oh, I haven't mentioned that yet? Huh. It was crazy!

I'll get some elevation data later, but it was the slope that was the killer. Being inexperienced, and not seeing anyone else do it, I didn't think to zig zag up the hill. I basically dropped the gears, and tried to crank. Once I got stood up, I dismounted and marched up the hill. It was a death march.
What would you do differently?:

zig zag up the hill, consider a compact crank, or even a triple chainring for this race. It would have made a huge difference. I was embarrassed, sort of, that I couldn't climb the hill on the bike.

Run different wheels.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay in the grass, drink hot chocolate, cheer on the rest of the crew.

Last updated: 2009-05-06 12:00 AM
Biking
00:39:02 | 12.43 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Below average
ave HR 172 max HR 190 max speed 39.2mph
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Sort of a reverse question mark shaped course. Devilish hills, and nasty, NASTY cross-winds. Seriously, the winds were downright scary. I was blow to the other lane at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Starker-Mann Challenge Saturday Afternoon Time Trial

2009-05-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2157253

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: Starker-Mann Challenge Saturday Afternoon Time Trial
You rocked this race, with an avg speed of over 19 mph!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Starker-Mann Challenge Saturday Afternoon Time Trial Rss Feed