General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help with Achilles Tendinitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-19 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: I need help with Achilles Tendinitis
I developed AT about three months ago.  It just happened to show up one day out of the blue near the end of a long run.  Once I felt this, I slowed down, got home and iced it.  Since then it has shown up at the beginning of my runs then goes away.   Occassionally it will show up again after I finish my run, but rarely.  After a month (7) PT sessions, I feel like I am making progress.  My PT is a triathlete and excellent runner so she knows her stuff.  She seems to think it is from tight muscles.  I had a limited range of motion in both ankles to start but that has since increased.  I do all of my exercises/stretches.  She has me on a 2 min run / 1 min walk program.  I did it last night and felt fine.  Just a little pain in the middle of the run, but went away very fast.  I tried to run again today (after stretching) and right away, I had a flare up.  I continued just as I used to do and it went away.  I have only run three times since April 20.  I'm beginning to think I may just have to deal with it.  Any thoughts or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.  My HIM training plan began last week and I only have two 15 min runs in.  I'm getting totally frustrated.

2009-05-19 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2161762

Master
STL
Subject: RE: I need help with Achilles Tendinitis
From what I've experienced, it just takes time. i had it so bad, I couldn't walk, my achillies was about twice it's normal size because of all the scar tissue. What has helped me the most are eccentric exercises and my chiropractor who does active reliease therapy. Over -stretching the area seems to irritate it more. Check my logs, I'm back at it and experiencing very little pain. my chiropractor said it will proabably be another year if I'm going to still train and work through it for full recovery. 

At this point you may actually have tendonosis, which is scar tissue build up, so it could be a different treatment regimine. If you have any more questions, just let me know.
2009-05-20 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2161762

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: I need help with Achilles Tendinitis

One really easy thing you can do to help is to wear heel inserts in your shoes all day long. Just buy the ones at the drug store. This will take the pressure off the achilles during the day and allow it to heal.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help with Achilles Tendinitis Rss Feed