General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-07 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2166410

User image

Regular
Waltham
Subject: RE: YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt
Thanks for the info guys.  I had a great time at Mooseman.  It was my first Oly (only 2nd tri) and I didn't get in the training volume that I should have, so my only regret was holding back too much on the bike...but I didn't want to implode on the run.  The goal I had set for myself back in Feb was under 3:00, and I came in at 3:01:42 - but I had a great race, great time, and looking back I know I could have made that time up on the bike.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I was surprised I really liked this distance, I thought I might be more of a sprint kinda girl.  Anyhow... the tri-bug is now in full swing again!
Ok, thanks again. 

2009-06-08 7:20 PM

Online or Offline

It's FULL! Sold out....No more registrations being accepted online or at the front desk. Mailed in entries postmarked before today are still being processed though.

It's the Burbank YMCA in Reading doing the triathlon in Wakefield....around Lake Quannapowitt. "Wakefield Tri", "Tri The Lake", "Lake Quannapowitt Triathlon", Burbank Y Triathlon....all the same.

For whoever needed clarification....Rte 129/Main Street along the lake where people usually park on the road, there will be no parking allowed there on race day until well after the race.

2009-06-08 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Nope.  Didn't get in.  Wasn't going to.  But may show up to cheer. 
2009-06-15 4:55 PM

I dont know if anyone saw the Article in the Boston Globe on Sunday.The board of health is banning swimming in the lake stating it is unfit for humans or bets that the Blue algae count is very high.They were going to do a retest today (Mon) idk how it made out.
2009-06-15 5:01 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I did not see the article. What I do know is the testing can vary greatly due to waterfoul and rain changes. I am hopping it will all be good by then.

2009-06-15 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Are you kidding me. My wife grew up 5 minutes from there and she couldn't believe it when I told her I signed up for a tri in that lake.

What would they do if it is unfit to swim????

2009-06-15 7:09 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Before the EPA they swam in that lake all the time. Heck even ate the fish. As for what they would do if the water is a no go, they would most likely turn it into my first Duathlon...run,bike, run...not looking forward to that option

2009-06-15 7:15 PM

Ill check with the y tommorow and post and yes I grew up in reading and was always at the lake I remember as a 16 yr old having a brilliant Idea of swimming across and started by Honey dew (was a Chinese resteraunt way back when) and swam to Lord Wakefield and got tangled in weeds at the end and was panicking and wish I could swim like that now LOL
2009-06-15 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here's the article. I really hope they don't turn it to a du.

Potentially harmful bacteria in Wakefield lake
June 14, 2009
Email|Print|Reprints|Yahoo! Buzz|ShareThis Text size – +
State public health officials recently notified Wakefield that tests have found cyanobacteria in Lake Quannapowitt at levels that exceed state standards for recreational fresh waters.
Cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae, produces toxins that can be harmful to humans and pets. Based on the notice, the Wakefield Board of Health is advising residents to avoid having themselves or pets come into contact with the algae in areas of the lake where it is highly concentrated, according to the town's health director, Peter Gray.

The board has posted signs about the advisory at the lake. More tests are set for for tomorrow.
2009-06-15 7:30 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

can I try to read between the lines here...possible to only close "parts of the lake with the algee blooms"? One can hope. As for me, I ran my first run at the lake when I started to train in 2003. Rode around it as a kid getting ready for longer rides. Grew up less than a mile from the lake in Reading myself.

2009-06-18 2:07 AM

I spoke with the person running this and the triathalon is still on and the water testing is being done every 2 days and although the blue algae is high.The water is not toxic and is ok to swim in.Also they test at the worst possible spot over by the runoff drain near Honeydew donuts art the corner.

I must admit there was a small part of me that was hoping for a cancellation as this being my 1st one and only a 120 people max I cannot blend in as I would in a 850 person field LOL I am still doing it tho.

2009-06-18 7:14 AM

User image

New user

Nah, small is better. It is a little depressing when people with different color swim caps start running you over and you know you are already 5 minutes behind someone on the course. Last year at the Appleman in Littleton I was getting passed by people that started 10 minutes behind me!!Undecided I have since improved my 1/2 mile swim time by 7:30 so hopefully that wont happen again.

The bike leg is gonna be a blast! 4 laps around the lake??!
2009-06-18 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree, I am excited about the race and the small number of racers. I was a little nervous at first because it is only my second race, but the first one I did had about 300 racers and the swim was a washing machine. I'm curious to see if I can find space better with fewer athletes, or am I just going to get in the mix of it like my first race.
We'll see!
2009-06-18 6:06 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

never fear, the smaller the race, the further back in the pack I manage to go.

2009-06-23 5:14 PM

I got my email today for the Wakefield Tri and am very excited and nervous for my 1st trI
2009-06-23 7:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You'll do fine. I experienced my first earlier this year. Now I am completely addicted!

2009-06-25 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
This will be my first open water Tri.  I was very nervous, to the point where I wouldn't have been upset if they made it a duathlon, until earlier this week when I did my first practice with a wetsuit.  After getting out and swimming with the wetsuit, I'm feeling much better about this.  I'll still be as slow as a snail, and will start at the back of my heat, but now I know that I'll be able to finish safely.  The buoyancy the wetsuit adds really makes a difference for me.

Water Quality Note, from the YMCA:

There have been a lot of rumors and reports about the quality of the water in Lake Quannapowitt.  The town of Wakefield has been testing the water routinely over the past month. The tests conclude that the water toxicity is very low, well within normal limits so there is not a concern that anyone will get sick from swimming in the lake. The algae count, however, was high when they took the first test over a month ago. This can be typical in early may and is why the Burbank YMCA chose to schedule the triathlon later in the season. High algae levels can cause skin irritation. The lastest test done last week showed slightley elevated algae levels, but are not a health risk. The final water test will be done this week and all the rain should have further lowered the algae count. The Burbank YMCA will provide an optional station rinse station for athletes coming out of the water.
2009-06-25 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A wet suit makes a huge difference if your not confident in the water. I'm a sinker for sure, but I feel like I can pretty much float with my wet suit.
2009-06-26 7:59 AM

Online or Offline

Hey all! I haven't been following this thread the past few days, but the water quality is FINE to go swimming in.

I don't get the Wakefield paper in my town (surprised that an article about Quannapowitt got into the Boston Globe, but....), but the woman representing the local Wakefield paper included some very damaging comments that were stated by a gentleman at that particular meeting between the YMCA and the town, comments which were jokes and taken and published as fact. I don't even know if the woman representing the paper can be even be called a journalist, but I have a few other choice words to describe her.

The area where the water samples are taken at the point where all the "worst" water collects - at the corner of 129/Main St and Lowell....beyond the Honey Dew. Quite a distance away from the short 1/4 mile triangular swim course.

Be ensured that the water quality is well within limits for a safe swim, we have been swimming in it Tuesday and will also today. With the rains and lack of sunlight lately, the algae count is low.

Included is the update email, some BT athletes didn't include their emails on the registration form.

It's going to be a fun day - lets hope we'll avoid any rain!

larger logo
Burbank YMCA TRI the Lake
Race Day Information 
Burbank YMCA TRI the LakeSaturday, June 27th
Contact Info
Burbank YMCA
36 Arthur B. Lord Dr.
Reading, MA 01867

Race Director 
Diana Ganz
781-944-9622 ext 230
Dear Athletes, 

The 1st Annual Burbank YMCA TRI the Lake Triathlon is this Saturday, June 27th! There has been an overwhelming response to this event and we are excited to say that we have reached capacity! In this email you will find race day information on parking, starts, course info, and water quality.

See you Saturday!

Diana Ganz
Race Bag Pick-up: Athletes can pick up their race bags on Friday, June 26th at the Burbank YMCA from 4-8pm or before the event on Saturday, June 27th at Colonel Connelly Beach from 6-7:15am.  

Race Day Registration: There will be no race day registration as the event has reached capacity.

Event Parking: 

All athletes and spectators can park in the Comverse parking lot. This is a short walk to Colonel Connelly Beach. Map to Comverse parking lot. 

Restrooms: There will be four porta-potties available for your use. Two will be in the transition area and two will be near the post race area. Please respect the local businesses and use our porta-potties.

Triathlon Start: We will be starting this event in waves based on gender and age. You will be given your wave start time when you pick up your race bag.

Course Details: The 1/4 mile swim will be a triangular course from Colonel Connelly Beach. Athletes will transition to their bikes in an secure area right off the beach. The 13 mile cycling course consists of 4 clockwise laps around Lake Quannapowitt on the street and includes Lake Quannapowitt Parkway which loops around Comverse. Althletes will transition from their bikes to the run from the transition. Runners will run on the sidewalk counter clockwise for one lap around Lake Quannapowitt.

Post Race Refreshments and Awards: In addition to the water stop on the course (approx. 1.5 miles around the lake), post race refreshments will be available to the athletes. As soon as the results are in, trophies will be givin to top the two male and female athletes. Additionally, medals will be given to top three male and female athelets in the following age categories: 29yrs & under, 30-39yrs, 40-49yrs, 50-59yrs and 60yrs & over.
Lake Quannapowitt Water Quality 
There have been a lot of rumors and reports about the quality of the water in Lake Quannapowitt.  The town of Wakefield has been testing the water routinely over the past month. The tests conclude that the water toxicity is very low, well within normal limits so there is not a concern that anyone will get sick from swimming in the lake. The algae count, however, was high when they took the first test over a month ago. This can be typical in early may and is why the Burbank YMCA chose to schedule the triathlon later in the season. High algae levels can cause skin irritation. The lastest test done last week showed slightley elevated algae levels, but are not a health risk. The final water test will be done this week and all the rain should have further lowered the algae count. The Burbank YMCA will provide an optional station rinse station for athletes coming out of the water.
Thank You To Our Sponsors
Tri lake sponsors 2009

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to
Burbank YMCA | 36 Arthur B. Lord Drive | Reading | MA | 01867

2009-06-26 12:22 PM

New user

hey everyone, tomorrow is going to be my first triathlon and i'm not exactly sure what a race bag is. i feel like i might be a little underprepared tomorrow in terms of gear. does anyone have a list of race day necessities? it would be a huge help! thanks
2009-06-26 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The race day bag that you pick up will have your numbers in them, a swim cap and usually some free promo items (which may not be the case for this race as it's pretty small). Usually when you pick it up they will mark your body with your number as well.
As far as things you'll need for race day, you can probably find a million posts about this but here is what I generally bring:
Wet Suit
goggles
spare cap (this is usually supplied for you in your race bag)
tri shorts
tri top (you can use a moisture wicking shirt if you don't have this)
bike
bike shoes
filled water bottle for bike/nutrients (longer races I'll have gels)
helmet (I wear glasses too)
running sneakers
socks
running hat (my preference)
towel for transition to lay your stuff on and wipe feet if needed
extra full water bottle to spray on feet if needed

Hope that helps

2009-06-26 2:25 PM

New user

Thanks! This definitely helps and now I'll be better prepared . I hope I still don't stick out too much!
2009-06-26 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
No problem. If you need anything let me know I tend to over prepare for these races.
2009-06-26 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Have a great race everyone!

Kevin isn't going to do the race so I won't see everyone...have fun
2009-06-27 3:37 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Kathy, I am sad to here that the two of you will not be comming up today. I was looking forward to seeing Kevin race. I hope all is well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt Rss Feed  

of 3