General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sea Isle City, New Jersey
United States
Pirhanna Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 184/387
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 15/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45am on race day and was in the car by 4am. Approx. 2 hour drive to Sea Isle City. Had an egg white on whole wheat sandwich, a banana and a large coffee on the way down. Got to the race, picked up my packet, got marked and went to the transition area. I was there a good hour and a half before the race started, so I was very relaxed. Set up transition area, put on wetsuit and was ready to go by 7am.
Event warmup:

Some light stretching. Drank some Powerade and ate a banana. Went down to the beach prior to the National Anthem and swam out to the first bouy (100 yards out). Water was bitter cold (58 or 59 degrees). It was good to try and get used to it. Then did some light jogging on the beach and went in for another dip.
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was much better than last year. I got a little freaked out when I was about halfway through the swim. I turned onto my back to catch my breath and some guy right next to me starts crying out for help. I wasn't sure if I should try to help him or keep going. But then a jet ski came by and got him. However, I then got pummelled by a huge wave and swallowed a bunch of salt water. I decided to just bear down and swim as fast as I could. I got around the final bouy and could see people about 50 yards in front of me able to stand up. I knew I was home free.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Getting some warmups in ahead of time really reduced the SHOCK of the cold water. I also took a very aggressive line at the start and minimized the swim distance.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Put on shoes first, then ran to the bike exit. Overall an AWESOME T1 for me... my best ever. My feet were completely numb from the ocean swim. For some reason, I decided not to put on socks. That was a big mistake. Saved me some time, but started me on a blister that ended up getting bad at the end of the race.

Put on socks!
Bike
  • 38m 3s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

GREAT RIDE! Really gunned it. Had to slow down several times for slower riders staying too far left or groups of 2 or 3 riders going side-by-side to talk to eachother. But that didn't have too much of a negative impact on my time. Keep my speed at 15-17 MPH while going south (into the wind) and at 22-25 MPH while going north.

Wear socks.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Feet were still numb from the ocean swim. I figured that since I couldn't feel them, why bother putting on socks (dumb). Also, my socks were now wet from sitting in the dew-covered grass. I had just replaced my shoe laces with Yankz a couple days ago, and I had a little trouble getting my numb feet into the shoe. I really forced them in and I think there was a small rock or a piece of folded-over material because the blister at the end of the run was MASSIVE.

Wear Socks!!!!
Run
  • 28m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Pace was good and felt very strong at the finish. That bodes well for the Olympic distance triathlon I'm doing next month. The blister on the bottom of my foot turned into an open wound about the size of a dime. As I write this, it is 5 days after the race and I still can't run or bike. Another day or two and it should be healed up enough to resume training.

Wear Socks!!!! Other than that, very happy with the pace of my run and how I felt at the end of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, ate a banana. Posed for a couple pictures. Sat on the boardwalk and watched the awards ceremony. What a great day! Weather was perfect!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I'm happy with my time. I took 19 minutes off last year's result, so I don't know that I could have done much better.

Event comments:

I will do this race every year! It's an awesome way to kick off the triathlon season and the summer! The ocean swim is a b*tch, but once you survive that, it's a very fast and fun race. I highly recommend this race to everyone.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 440 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 258/387
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless ProMotion westuit
Course: Out 100 yards, swim north 240 yards, in 100 yards. Marked with orange flags. It was pretty choppy and the waves were 3-5 feet.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:03 | 12.3 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Overall: 146/387
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps. Flat as a pancake. Very well marked. A lot of novice riders that were staying too far left and made it hard to pass sometimes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:34 | 03.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 213/387
Course: Beach run. Unlike last year, the runners did not have to jump over the the jetties on the beach (last year some of them were 2-3 feet high, making it more of a steeplechase). Felt strong on the run. Started out slowly, but then picked up my pace after the first mile. Grabbed 2 cups of water at the turnaround and picked up the pace a little further. Never stopped to walk. But toward the end, started feeling the pain of the blister on the bottom of my foot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-27 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Subject: Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du

2009-05-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2175880

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA
Subject: RE: Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du
Nice job - saw the race on the news that night; nothing like that nice green cold look to the ocean. I remember the numb foot thing from Avalon last year. Way to improve year-over-year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans: Sea Isle City's Tri & Du Rss Feed